Week 17 at a glance
At 17 weeks pregnant, your baby is about the size of a pomegranate!
Things might start feeling pretty real around now, and pregnancy at 17 weeks can be a tough gig.
It’s normal to feel a little overwhelmed.
Making a list of all the things swirling around your brain is a good idea, so you don’t have to rely on your pregnant (read: temporarily unreliable) memory at your next antenatal appointment.
For now, though, keep reading for our round-up of what to expect at 17 weeks pregnant.
In this article: 📝
- Week 17 at a glance
- Baby development at 17 weeks
- Pregnancy symptoms at 17 weeks
- Pregnancy tips at 17 weeks
Baby development at 17 weeks
Your 17 week fetus is about 13cm (5 inches) long and getting more baby-like by the day!
Your baby will be:
- Forming their fingerprints.
- Regulating their heartbeat with their brain, producing 140–150 beats per minute.
- Mastering their sucking and swallowing skills.
- Covered in a waxy white coating called vernix to keep them warm.
- Growing eyelashes and eyebrows, ready for their close-up!
Pregnancy symptoms at 17 weeks
We hear you, mama!
You’re doing a great job!
Here are some more common 17 weeks pregnant symptoms.
Increased appetite – and heartburn
You’re finding yourself absolutely ravenous.
All. Day. Long.
But big meals are giving you the worst heartburn and indigestion.
What can you do?
Snacking on smaller, nutritionally dense meals throughout the day, can help keep the hunger, and heartburn, at bay.
The skin on your belly might be feeling all kinds of itchy, stretching across your belly, hips, and boobs to accommodate your growing baby.
50-90% of pregnant women develop stretch marks throughout pregnancy, and the effectiveness of applying moisturizer to reduce their appearance is unconfirmed.
However, slathering on some vitamin-enriched body lotion won’t hurt, and can certainly reduce the annoying itch.
Increased bodily fluids
You’re sweaty, producing excess saliva, and maybe noticing increased discharge.
It might not be the nicest experience, but it is normal.
Know that it will only be temporary and have as many showers as you need to get through the day feeling fresh.
Round ligament pain
The round ligament pain associated with pregnancy is thanks to the ligaments in your pelvis which are tasked with holding up your uterus.
As your baby grows and you require more support, it’s common for these ligaments to cause some pain in the lower abdomen, and around the sides of your baby bump, when overworked.
Do you have a baby bump at 17 weeks?
Your uterus is sitting higher each week, so it’s common for 17 weeks pregnant bumps to be quite pronounced, but everyone’s 17 weeks pregnant belly will be different.
Can I lay on my stomach at 17 weeks pregnant?
Lying on your stomach is probably pretty uncomfortable these days, even if you were an avid tummy sleeper pre-pregnancy.
Sleeping on your side is advised from about now (definitely once you hit the 20-week mark) until the end of pregnancy.
This helps to maintain healthy blood flow around your body, the placenta, and your baby.
It can also help avoid things like hemorrhoids and dizziness which lying on your back can cause.
Pregnancy tips at 17 weeks
Here are some things you can do to prepare for your babe at 17 weeks pregnant:
- Make sure your next prenatal appointment is booked: This will probably be around 20 weeks.
- Design baby’s nursery: Eeek, it’s all getting real now! Need inspo? We’ve got you covered.
- Start a baby registry: Time to start gathering all the essentials for your little one! Create a baby registry and add all the cute and practical items you’ll need.
- Try some prenatal yoga: Stretch it out, mama! Prenatal yoga can help improve flexibility and reduce stress. Plus, it’s a great way to connect with other pregnant mamas and share tips and advice.
- Go on a babymoon: Who says vacations are only for non-pregnant people? Plan a babymoon with your partner and enjoy a relaxing getaway before the baby arrives. Whether it’s a beach vacation or a cozy cabin in the woods, take some time to relax and recharge.
- Plan a gender reveal party and baby shower: Are you team pink or team blue? Plan a gender reveal party to share the big news with your friends and family. Get creative with the reveal, whether it’s popping a confetti-filled balloon or cutting into a cake.
- Get your birth plan on: It’s like planning a wedding, but with a much cuter guest of honor! Start jotting down your preferences for the big day.
- Say cheese! Book a maternity photoshoot to capture that beautiful baby bump. Strike a pose, get creative, and show off that glow!
- Get name-dropping: Start brainstorming baby names, and let your creativity fly! If you’re in need of inspiration, we’ve got a truckload of names for you to sift through.
- Treat yo’ self: Invest in some cute and comfy maternity clothes that’ll make you feel like a million bucks. Rock that flowy dress or those stretchy leggings with confidence!
- Learn the ropes: Take a childbirth education class to learn all about breathing techniques, pain management, and more. It’s like a Jedi training for moms.
Friendly reminder that every pregnancy is a unique journey, so don’t sweat the small stuff.
Take the time to savor this special time and do what feels right for you and your growing babe.
Trust your instincts and don’t let anyone tell you how you “should” feel or act.
Remember, you’ve got this!