Looking for a little name for your little one? We’ve compiled a list of the best three-letter baby boy names around — along with their origins and meanings.
With so many choices on the table, you’re bound to find the perfect fit for your peanut.
Yep, less really can be more.
In this article: 📝
- What are the 3 most popular boy names?
- More 3 letter names for boys
What are the 3 most popular boy names?
Topping the three-letter baby boy names charts are these delightful options.
They’re super cute, truly meaningful, and they just never seem to go out of style.
Here are the three most popular options:
- Leo. Leo means ‘lion’ in Latin. It is the 36th most popular baby boy’s name for 2020 in the U.S. — and the most popular of all three-letter options. From da Vinci, to DiCaprio, and now perhaps your little one too, this name has stood the test of time.
- Eli. The second most popular of the three-letter male names (and number 60 overall), Eli is a Hebrew name that means ‘high’ or ‘elevated.’
- Ian. At number 83 is Ian, the third most popular of the 3-letter variety. It means ‘God is gracious’ and is of Scottish Gaelic origin.
More 3 letter names for boys
Beyond the most popular, there is a host of other wonderful three-letter boy names. Here are our favorites.
- Max. A Latin name meaning ‘the greatest,’ it’s the perfect fit for your mighty little one.
- Sam. This popular name, which is often a nickname for Samuel, is a Hebrew name that means ‘told by god.’
- Ash. This super cute name means ‘happy’ in Hebrew.
- Cam. Cute just as it is or as a nickname for Cameron, this Scottish name celebrates being a little different. It means ‘crooked.’
- Dax. This French origin name means ‘leader.’
- Dev. A Sanskrit baby name, Dev means ‘divine’ or ‘god.’
- Ray. Perfect for your little ray of sunshine, this name began as a nickname for Raymond. It’s a German origin name that means both ‘wise’ and ‘advisor.’
- Oli. Derived from the super-popular Oliver, Oli has two possible roots. From its Germanic origins it means ‘elf warrior’ and from Latin, ‘olive tree.’
- Kit. This Greek origin name means ‘bearing Christ.’
- Kai. This cool name has different meanings depending on where you’re from in the world. In Japanese, it means ‘shell,’ in Hawaiian, ‘sea,’ and from its mixed European origins, it’s ‘keeper of the keys.’
- Neo. Calling all Matrix fans, this relatively recent addition to the baby name list means ‘new.’
- Koa. This powerful name of Polynesian origin means ‘brave,’ ‘bold,’ and ‘fearless.’
- Fox. We don’t need to tell you what this cool little animal name means. Foxes are super speedy and craftily clever. Adventure awaits!
- Rex. Rex is the Latin word for ‘king,’ and is the perfect name for the future king of your world. 👑
- Rey. Popularized by Rey in Star Wars, this gender-neutral Spanish origin name also means ‘king.’
- Gus. It means ‘great,’ and is a popular nickname for Augusto, Gustav, and Angus.
- Ivo. This English origin name means ‘yew,’ like the tree.
- Lev. A Slavic origin name which translates to ‘lion,’
- Jay. This common name comes from the Sanskrit for ‘win’ or ‘victory’ — so it’s no wonder we think it’s a winning name for your little peanut.
- Ben. This Hebrew name, often a nickname for Benjamin, means ‘son of my right hand’ or ‘favorite son.’
- Van. A Dutch origin name meaning ‘of’ or ‘from,’ Van is also a common nickname for Evan, Ivan, or Vance.
- Cal. It means ‘devotion’ in Hebrew.
- Rio. This unisex name means ‘river’ in Spanish and is growing in popularity, particularly as a boy’s name.
- Lee. This name derives from an Old English surname and means ‘clearing’ or ‘meadow.’
- Pax. This unique name, which can work for any gender, comes from the Latin for ‘peace.’
- Oak. Symbolizing strength and longevity, this modern name is a solid option.
- Roy. This name is fit for a king. In fact, that’s what it means. Because it also means ‘red,’ it’s perfect for a redhead baby boy.
- Kip. This bright name has old English origins and means ‘from the pointed hill.’
- Obi. This African origin name means ‘one with beautiful essence.’ It’s also a perfect name for Star Wars fans.
- Tal. This sweet Hebrew name means ‘dew.’
- Ted. This cute name has Greek origins and means ‘wealth’ or ‘fortune.’
- Zac or Zak. This cool Hebrew name means ‘laughter’ or ‘God remembers’
- Luc. A French baby name which means ‘light’ or ‘illumination’
- Uri. This Hebrew name means ‘my light’ or ‘my flame.’
- Wes. This English name means ‘western meadow.’ It can stand proudly on its own or as a nickname for Wesley.
- Wyn. This Welsh name means ‘fair,’ ‘white’ and ‘blessed.’
- Ali. This Arabic name means ‘high’ or ‘elevated.’ In English-speaking countries, it’s often a nickname for Alistair or Alexander.
- **Nye.**A Welsh name and nickname for Aneurin (pronounced: ah-nye-rin), Nye means ‘golden.’
- Ken. It’s no surprise that this name was once associated with Barbie’s boyfriend — it means ‘handsome.’
- Jac. An alternative spelling of the name Jack, this English origin name means ‘God is gracious.’
- Sal. This English origin name means ‘savior’ and can be a nickname for Salvatore.
- Pio. This adorable baby boy’s name means ‘pious’ or ‘devout’ in Latin.
- Dom. Often a nickname for Dominic, it means ‘belonging to the Lord’ in Latin.
- Aio. This name means ‘tutor’ or ‘teacher’ in Italian.
- Ibo. This sweet African origin name means ‘my people.’
- Cub. If you’re looking for a non-traditional animal name that’s super playful, this modern name is the perfect choice for your very own little cub.
- Ace. This Latin origin name means ‘one’ and has been rising in popularity in recent years.
- Don. This mighty Scottish name means ‘proud chief.’
- Jax. This English origin name means ‘God has been gracious.’ It’s perfect if you like the popular name Jack, but are looking for something a little more unique.
So there you have it, 52 three-letter baby boy names that are both short and sweet. You see? Dynamite does come in small packages.
Looking for more inspiration? Why not try one of these lists next?
1000 Popular Baby Boy Names
90 Middle Names for Boys
40 Flower Baby Names for Boys With Meanings
1000+ Top Baby Boy Names Around the World
200+ One Syllable Boy Names
100+ Uncommon Baby Names & Their Meanings
80 Strong Baby Boy Names (with Meanings)
A Long List of Short Baby Boy Names
Top 102 Disney Baby Boy Names
164 Extraordinary Exotic Baby Boy Names
185 Dark & Gothic Baby Boy Names
84 Anime Names for Boys
60 Vintage Baby Boy Names and Their Meanings
49 Four-Letter Baby Boy Names (and Their Meanings)
80+ Old Fashioned Baby Boy Names and Their Meanings