Three-letter baby girl names may be short, but that doesn’t mean they don’t pack a punch.
Whether you’re looking for something sweet, rare, or badass, we’re confident you can get the job done in just three letters.
Here are our favorites.
In this article 📝
- What is a good 3 letter name?
- What are some rare girl names?
- What is a legendary girl name?
- What’s a badass name for a girl?
What is a good 3 letter name?
Having fewer letters does not mean skimping on beauty or depth. Check out these popular three-letter girl names that have stood the test of time.
- Ava. The most popular of all three-letter girl names, Ava either comes from the Germanic word ‘aval,’ meaning ‘guarantee,’ or from the Latin word ‘avis’ which means ‘bird’ or ‘birdlike.’
- Mia. Another super popular name for baby girls — number eight in the US in 2020 — Mia means ‘mine’ in Italian.
- Zoe. This Greek origin name simply means ‘life’.
- Eva. Of Hebrew origin, this adorable name also means ‘life.’
- Ivy. Just like the vine plant, the name is growing in popularity in the US.
- Mya. More commonly spelled ‘Maya,’ this Greek origin name means ‘good mother.’
- Amy. This French name means ‘beloved.’
- Ana. This alternative ‘Anna’ is the more common way to spell the name in some European countries. It means ‘grace’ in Latin.
- Lia or Lea. This super cute name means ‘delicate,’ ‘weary,’ ‘meadow’ or ‘pasture.’
- Mae or May. This name derives from the Roman goddess Maia, the daughter of the Titan Atlas. Mae also means ‘mother’ in Portuguese.
- Ada. This Germanic origin name means ‘nobility’ and belonged to mathematician and computer pioneer Ada Lovelace. Now that’s a pretty exceptional person to name your little peanut after.
- Eve. Not only the early night, this name also means ‘life’ or ‘living’ in Latin.
- Ida. Ida’s ancient Germanic roots mean ‘industrious’ or ‘prosperous.’
- Bea. It means ‘blessed,’ and is often a nickname for Beatrice or Beatrix.
- Gia. An Italian name meaning ‘God is gracious.’
- Liv. An Old Nordic name which means ‘shelter’ or ‘protection,’ it can be an adorable nickname for Olivia or stand on its own.
- Isa. This Hebrew name means ‘salvation of god.’ It can also be a nickname for Isabel or Isadora.
- Fay. A French origin name meaning ‘fairy’ or ‘elf.’
- Una. This Irish name means ‘lamb.’
- Ann. This name never goes out of style, and means ‘favor’ or ‘grace’ in Latin.
- Dot. Originally a nickname for Dorothy, this name also works on its own. Dorothy means ‘gift of god.’
- Meg. A short version of the name Margaret, Meg has Greek origins and means ‘pearl.’
- Cat or Kat. It means ‘pure’ in Latin and is a sweet derivative of the name Catherine.
- Jem. Meaning ‘supplant,’ or ‘replace.’
- Gem. A precious stone or jewel.
- Imi. Of Greenlandic origin, it means ‘water.’ It’s also a nickname for Imogen.
- Ema. An alternative spelling of Emma, it means ‘whole’ or ‘universal’ in old German.
What are some rare girl names?
Looking for unique three-letter girl names? While the letters are limited, the options certainly aren’t. Let’s dive in.
- Noa. There are two meanings for this little name. In Hebrew, it comes from the word for ‘rest’, while in Japanese, it means ‘my love.’ Although this name is growing in popularity, Noas are still pretty rare.
- Rae or Rey. A diminutive of the Hebrew name, Rachel, it has become more popular since Rey from Star Wars hit our screens in 2015.
- Aya. Another name with more than one meaning, Aya is ‘colorful’ or ‘beautiful’ in Japanese and ‘wonderful’ or ‘miracle’ from its Arabic roots.
- Rio. A Spanish origin name which means ‘river,’ this gender-neutral name is still quite rare as a girl’s name.
- Uma. The name of a Hindu goddess, Uma is also Sanskrit for ‘tranquility.’
- Ren. A Japanese origin name that means ‘lotus.’
- Sky. This super cute modern name will ensure your little one is always on the up and up.
- Rue. From Greek origins, Rue means ‘herb’ or ‘regret.’
- Ani. A Slavic origin name which means ‘very beautiful.’
- Ife. This adorable West African name means ‘lover of art and culture’ — perfect for the more discerning peanut.
What is a legendary girl name?
If you want to draw inspiration from ancient legends and their warriors, there are some names with three letters that do just that.
- Sia. An ancient Egyptian god of wisdom and knowledge, Sia also means ‘victory’ in Old Norse.
- Nyx. In Greek mythology, Nyx was the powerful goddess of the night.
- Pia. A Latin name which means ‘pious’ or ‘honorable,’ Pia also refers to someone ‘from mount Olympus.’ Yep, that means your little peanut can be any Greek god they want to be.
- Ino. A lesser known queen in Greek mythology, Ino was called ‘Queen of the Sea.’
What’s a badass name for a girl?
Three letter female names can be pretty badass, too. Here are some of high-powered options.
- Lux. A gender-neutral name which means ‘light’ in Latin, the name Lux just oozes cool.
- Nia. This name has multiple meanings depending on the origin. In Swahili, it means ‘lustrous’ or ‘purpose’ and in Welsh, it means ‘bright’ — now that’s a pretty badass mix.
- Lou. It doesn’t get more power-packed than this. From its German origins, Lou means ‘famed warrior.’
- Ari. This Hebrew name means ‘lion.’
- Ara. Looking for something simultaneously badass and sweet? Ara derives from the Sanskrit word for ‘flames,’ but in Korean, means ‘elegant and beautiful.’
- Max. This name, which can be short for Maxine, means ‘the greatest’ in Latin.
- Aza. A gender-neutral name, Aza means ‘triumph’ or ‘victory’.
And there you have it: three-letter girl names to suit every baby girl and their unique personality.
Looking for more inspiration? Why not try one of these lists next?
👶 Find more girl baby names:
4 Letter Baby Girl Names (and Their Meanings)
Top 1001 Girl Names: The Ultimate List
161 Cool Baby Girl Names And Their Meanings
250 One Syllable Girl Names
90 Strong Baby Girl Names & Their Meanings
183 Exquisitely Exotic Baby Girl Names
Top 123 Disney Baby Girl Names
The 1000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names
93 Anime Baby Girl Names
200+ Super Sweet Baby Girl Names