Adorable. Amazing. Angelic. Baby boy names that start with A are a great way to put your little one at the top of the list. No waiting around to see if his name is called.
Whether you’re honoring a family tradition or have simply always loved the sound of this enthusiastic vowel, there is no shortage of choices when it comes to A boy names.
Ready to make the perfect pick? Awesome.
So what names start with the letter A? Let’s have a look.
“A” names for boys
Here are dozens of great baby boy names that start with A.
What are cool names that start with A?
- Aaron: From Hebrew origins, this well-loved name means “mountain of strength.” In the bible, Aaron is Moses’ brother.
- Abe: A shortened form of “Abraham,” Abe means “father to many.”
- Abdullah: An Arabic name meaning “servant of God.”
- Adam: Straight from Paradise itself, Adam means “son of the earth.”
- Aden: Meaning “handsome.” This is the perfect name for your beautiful baby.
- Adrian: This popular name has multiple origins. From the Greek, it means “man from Hadria,” a place in Northern Italy. There have been many famous Adrians through the ages—from sports stars to actors to saints.
- Ahmed: This name is full of gratitude and is derived from the Arabic for “to thank” or “to praise.”
- Albert: “Noble” and “bright”
- Aldo: With both Italian and German origins, Aldo is a name for an old soul and means “elder.”
- Alek: “Man’s defender”
- Alessio: This is for your little helper and means “to help or defend.”
- Alexander: Like its variants Alek and Alessio, Alexander means “defender of men.”
- Alan: Alan has several possible origins and meanings. With French, German, English and Welsh origins, it may mean “little rock,” “handsome” or “harmony.”
- Alistair: From Gaelic origins, Alistair means “defender of men.”
- Alfonso: Meaning “noble and ready,” Alfonso comes with so many great nicknames. Al, Alfie, Fonsie—it’s a gift that keeps on giving.
- Alfred: “Wise counselor”
- Alto: For the musical amongst us, Alto comes with a built-in range. With its Latin origins, it means “high.”
- Alvis: “Wise”
- Amar: An Arabic name meaning “immortal”.
- Amos: With its Hebrew origins, Amos means “to carry.”
- Anastas: A shortened form of the Greek Anastasios, this powerful name means “resurrection.”
- Anders: A Scandinavian version of the name Andrew, Anders means “masculine and strong.”
- Andrew: Many famous Andrews have appeared throughout history—from princes to performers to patron saints.
- Angelo: Yep, this one means “angel,” but can also mean “messenger.”
- Anthony: “Priceless one.” Saint Anthony was also the patron saint of lost items. That could come in pretty handy around the house.
- Antonio: From the Roman “priceless” or the Greek “flower”
- Archie: This royal name means “beginning.”
- Ari: A Hebrew name meaning “lion” 🦁
- Arno: “Eagle” 🦅
- Art: Not only does this name sound, well, arty, it also has mighty connotations — “noble” and “bear-like.”
- Arthur: This kingly name means “bear.” 🐻
- Asa: “Healer”
- Asher: This twinkling name means “blessed” and “happy.”
- Ashton: Derived from the beautiful ash tree 🌳
- Ashwin: From Sanskrit, this positive name means “possessor of horses.” 🐴
- Aspen: A popular Colorado ski town, Aspen also means “shaking tree.”
- Ashley: A meadow of ash trees
- Austin: Likely a shortened form of the Latin Augustus, Austin means “great.”
- Azim: One of the names of God in Islam, Azim means “magnificent” and “protector.”
- Aziz: “All-powerful”
What are unique boy names that start with A?
What is the rarest name for a boy? Here are some unique boy names that start with A.
- Abbot: “Priest” or “father”
- Abel: A biblical name meaning “breath”
- Abner: “God is my light”
- Acacius: This name appears to have two meanings. One is “thorn” and the other is “innocence.”
- Ace: From Latin meaning “one” or “unity” — but watch out for Ace Ventura references!
- Achilles: A legendary Greek warrior, Achilles likely means “sorrow of the nation.”
- Adlai: A Hebrew name meaning “God is just”
- Adonis: Really, really good looking
- Adriel: “God is my help.”
- Ahmir: This is a name that is literally fit for a prince.
- Ainsley: This interesting name refers to “a clearing in the woods.”
- Ajay: A Sanskrit name, Ajay means “unsurpassed” or “immortal.” There’s no getting in the way of this powerful little being.
- Ajax: A figure in Greek mythology, Ajax also means “eagle.” 🦅
- Alaric: With its Germanic roots, Alaric means “everyone’s ruler.”
- Alban: St. Alban was the first martyr of Britain and his name means “to come from Alba.”
- Albus: The Latin word for “white,” Albus may also mean “foreign.”
- Alden: “Old friend”
- Amari: With its Yoruba origins, Amari means “strength.” (For more names from Nigeria, head here.)
- Amias: A Latin name meaning “loved.”
- Ambrose: “Immortal”
- Amihan: In Tagalog, Amihan means “winter storm.”
- Anakin: “Warrior”
- Andres: “Masculine and brave”
- Ansel: Meaning “protected by God,” Ansel is a great choice for lovers of the famous photographer Ansel Adams.
- Anson: “Son of the divine”
- Apollo: Famous for riding his fiery chariot across the sky, Apollo was a Greek god of many things, including art, archery, and healing.
- Aram: “Child of the Sun” 🌞
- Arav: This gentle name means “silence” and “calm” in Sanskrit.
- Arbor: This is the word for tree in Latin. 🌴
- Archer: Like the name suggests, this is one sharpshooter. 🏹
- Argyll: Of Scottish origin, this name means Land of the Gauls.
- Aries: The astrological sign of the ram. 🐏
- Arlow: A barberry tree
- Armstrong: Of Scottish origin, this name means exactly what it says—someone with brawny arms.
- Arnaud: The French form of “Arnold,” Arnaud means “power of the eagle.” 🦅
- Arrow: If you like Archer but want to take it a little further….
- Arturo: A Celtic name meaning “courageous”
- Aryan: An Iranian name, Aryan means “noble.”
- Asaiah: “The Lord had made”
- Atticus: A person from Attica, the region in Greece where Athens is located. And for lovers of “To Kill a Mockingbird,” Atticus Finch is the famous lawyer.
- Atlas: Of Greek origins, Atlas was the mythical figure who carried the world on his shoulders.
- Atreus: “Fearless”
- Atwood: “By the wood” in Old English. And a tribute to Canadian author and poet, Margaret Atwood.
- August: More than just a month, August comes from the Latin word meaning “to increase.”
- Aurelio: “Golden” 🥇
- Avery: The meaning of this name couldn’t be any more adorable: “ruler of elves.”
- Avian: Of Hebrew origin, this name means “bird-like.” 🐦
- Axel: “Father is peace”
- Azai: “Strength”
- Azariah: Azariah is a guardian angel and his name means “God has helped.”
Aaaaand that’s a wrap. Good luck making your choice.
👶 More baby name guides:
137 Cool Baby Boy Names and Their Meanings
1000 Popular Baby Boy Names
200+ One Syllable Boy Names
80 Strong Baby Boy Names (with Meanings)
Top 102 Disney Baby Boy Names
164 Extraordinary Exotic Baby Boy Names
61 Boy Names That Start With C
75 Baby Boy Names That Start With E
Baby Boy Names That Start With K
79 Boy Names that Start with J
85 Baby Boy Names that Start With L
39 Baby Boy Names That Start With O
113 Baby Boy Names that Start With T
57 Baby Boy Names that Start With X