So, you’re looking for a name for an extraordinary little boy who’s about to arrive in your life (or maybe who’s already here!).
Choosing a name is an exciting moment, and considering baby boy names that start with E can give you a lot of excellent options.
Okay, we’ll ease up on the E words now…
Let’s dive into our selection of 75 boy names that start with an E (and we’ll even throw in a few that end with E, too).
What is a name that starts with E?
Male names that start with E have a rich and varied history, from Hebrew prophets like Elijah and Ezekiel to English kings like Edmund and Edward.
But which boy names that start with the letter E are the most popular choices of parents today? Let’s take a look.
What are the most popular boy names that start with E?
Looking at data from the Social Security Administration, we can see that the most popular E name for a boy in the US in 2020 was:
Coming in at a solid number four on the list of the top 10 boys’ names of 2020, Elijah is a Hebrew name that means “my God is Yahweh”. Elijah is also the name of a prophet and worker of miracles in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament).
Popular boys’ names starting with E from the 2010s
Along with Elijah, what other E names for boys have been popular in recent years?
Here are 11 more E names that made the top 200 list of male names in the 2010s:
- Ethan: Hebrew origin, meaning “firm” and “strong”.
- Eli: Either Greek origin, meaning “defender of man”, or Hebrew origin, meaning “high” or “my God”.
- Evan: From the Welsh name Iefan (a version of “John”), meaning “God is gracious”.
- Easton: English origin, meaning “from the East town”.
- Elias: A Greek version of the name Elijah.
- Ezra: Hebrew origin, meaning “helper”.
- Eric: Old Norse origin, from the name Eirikr, meaning “forever ruler” or “ever powerful”. The name can also be spelled: Erik.
- Ezekiel: Hebrew origin, meaning “God will strengthen”. Elisha was another prophet in the Hebrew Bible.
- Emmett: This was originally used as an English surname. It’s the masculine version of the name Emma, meaning “whole” or “complete”.
- Edward: Old English origin, meaning “rich guard”. A name long linked to English royalty, from Edward the Elder (son of Alfred the Great) in the 10th century to Queen Elizabeth II’s son, Prince Edward, in the 21st.
- Emmanuel: Hebrew origin, meaning “God is with us”.
Popular boys’ names starting with E from the 1910s
You might have noticed that many of the popular boy names that start with E from the 2010s have a distinctly biblical flavor.
That’s a big shift from a century ago when names of Old English origin were much more in vogue.
In fact, the only E name to make it onto the top 200 lists from both the 2010s and the 1910s is the classically royal Edward.
The other E names that made it onto the 1910s list are:
- Earl: Old English origin. Derived from the word “eorl”, meaning “nobleman” or “warrior”, earl became an aristocratic title in England.
- Ernest: Germanic origin, meaning “serious”.
- Eugene: Greek origin, derived from the word “eugenes,” meaning “noble” or “well-born”.
- Elmer: Old English origin, meaning “noble” and “famous”.
- Edwin: Old English origin, meaning “rich friend”.
- Edgar: Old English origin, meaning “fortunate” and “powerful”.
- Everett: Originally an English surname, Everett means “brave boar”.
- Eddie: A short version of Edward!
- Edmund: Old English or Irish origin, meaning “wealthy protector”.
- Earnest: Another way of spelling Ernest.
- Emil: Also spelled Emile, it’s a name of French origin, meaning “rival” or “trying to excel”.
- Ervin: Old English origin, meaning “boar friend”.
- Elbert: Old English origin, meaning “noble” or “famous”.
- Ellis: An English version of the name Elijah.
What are some celebrity male names starting with E?
Want a little celebrity inspiration for your baby boy’s name?
Let’s take a look at 10 names beginning with E belonging to famous men from past and present:
- Edison: For Thomas Edison, inventor of the light bulb and the motion picture camera (among many other things). Edison is an English name, meaning “son of Edward”.
- Elmo: Yep, the red Muppet from Sesame Street, and also the patron saint of sailors. Elmo is a version of the English name Elmer (number 16 on our list).
- Elton: For the legendary English musician, Elton John. Elton is another English name, meaning “from the old town”.
- Elvis: For The King of rock ‘n’ roll himself, Elvis Presley. It’s a name of Scandinavian origin, meaning “all-wise”.
- Emerson: For American author Ralph Waldo Emerson. Emerson is of German origin, meaning “brave” and “powerful”.
- Ephron: Actor Zac Efron has a spelling variation of this name for his surname. It’s from a Hebrew word, meaning “fawn-like”.
- Erasmus: From the great Dutch scholar and philosopher of the Renaissance era. The name is of Greek origin, meaning “beloved”.
- Errol: After the Hollywood star Errol Flynn. Errol is also the name of a village in Scotland and an owl in the Harry Potter books. It’s a Scottish variation on the name Earl (number 13 on our list).
- Euclid: After the Greek mathematician, who’s often called the “father of geometry.” The name means “very glorious”.
- Evander: From Evander Holyfield, the American boxing champion. Aptly, this Scottish name means “strong man”.
More ideas for baby boy names that start with E
Not found an E name you love yet? Here are 39 more names that might suit your little boy:
What are boy names that end with E?
If you’re keen to pick a name that not only starts but also ends with E, you could try:
Plus, here are 15 bonus boys’ names that begin with all kinds of letters but end with that all-important E:
We hope our list of 75 boy names that start with E has left you feeling energized and enthused (sorry, couldn’t resist) about your baby-name search. Good luck!
117 women are talking about 'baby names' on Peanut. Download the app to join the conversation.
👶 More baby name guides:
90 Baby Boy Names that Start with A
64 Boy Names that Start With B
61 Boy Names That Start With C
106 Baby Boy Names That Start With D
51 Baby Boy Names That Start With F
89 Baby Boy Names That Start With G
88 Baby Boy Names That Start With H
35 Baby Boy Names That Start With I
79 Boy Names that Start with J
Baby Boy Names That Start With K
85 Baby Boy Names that Start With L
53 Magnificent Boy Names That Start With M
32 Nifty Baby Boy Names that Start with N
39 Baby Boy Names That Start With O
31 Baby Boy Names that Start with P
36 Baby Boy Names That Start With Q
59 Baby Boy Names That Start with R
113 Baby Boy Names that Start With T
38 Boy Names That Start With U
155 Baby Boy Names That Start With V
72 Baby Boy Names That Start With W
57 Baby Boy Names that Start With X
80 Baby Boy Names that Start With Y
72 Boy Names That Start With Z