Looking for some fresh ideas on boy names that start with J? Peanut has you covered.
From James to Jenson, Jeremiah to Jupiter, our top choice of boy J names give you endless options — and tonnes of personality — for baby.
Novelists, presidents, movers, and shakers: boy J names embrace them all. So, whether you’re keeping up with a family tradition or love the joyful sound a “j” makes, we can help you find the perfect choice.
In this article: 📝
- Classic boy names that start with J
- Modern boy names that start with J
- Unique boy names that start with J
Classic boy names that start with J
There is no shortage of classic boy names that start with J.
From the well-known to the more unusual, these boy J names have captured imaginations for centuries.
What are some classic boy names that start with J?
- Jacob: A true classic, Jacob is a Biblical name meaning “supplanter”. Embodying someone who seizes or takes over, this is the perfect name for a new generation wanting to disrupt the status quo.
- James: Another take on the inspiring Jacob, James is a modern descendant with an undoubtedly classic feel. Increasingly popular as a gender-neutral name, this J name is no stranger to the realms of royalty, entertainment, and presidents — ensuring no shortage of inspo for your baby boy.
- Jaden: Jaden may sound hip, but its Hebrew origins stretch back to ancient scripture, giving it the encouraging meaning of “thankful.” 🙏🏽
- Jay: Long before Jay became the go-to nickname for boy names that start with J, it ruled the roost as “Jaybird.” Alternatively, its Sanskrit roots offer the winning meaning of “victory.” 🏆
- Jack: If you want a J name never goes out of style, Jack is as popular now as it was in the Medieval era. Despite its unwavering approval, Jack keeps itself grounded with its humble meaning, “God is gracious.”
- Jackson: An Old English first and last name, Jackson is a classic J name that means “son of Jack.” More than a successor, Jackson boasts a dynasty all of their own, from pop culture icons to an esteemed American president.
- Jacques: The French version of James and Jacob, Jacques is the character that tells us that “All the world’s a stage” in Shakespeare’s As You Like It.
- Jamie: A nickname for James or a cute boy’s name all on its own, this gender-neutral J name means “supplanter.”
- Jared: With its Hebrew origins and enduring popularity, Jared is a classic Old Testament boys name that means “descends.”
- Jason: What is a classic baby name list without Jason. This ancient name means “healer,” from the Greek word iaomai, and boasts tradition and mythos in equal measure.
- Jeffrey: A name that comes from English, French, and Germanic origins, Jeffrey likely means “traveler” or “peaceful place.”
- Jeremiah: Emerging from the Hebrew Bible, Jeremiah means “God will raise” — an uplifting boy’s name if there ever was.
- Jeremy: This well-known variation of Jeremiah has many famous owners — from politicians to actors to sports stars — with notable Anglo-Saxon roots.
- Joel: Of Hebrew origin, Joel as a boy’s name means “Jehovah is Lord” though some may know it best as the surname of a certain Piano Man. 🎹
- Jesse: Before it became a pop culture phenomenon, a la Breaking Bad, Jesse reigned supreme as an accessible variant of the Hebrew name Yishai meaning “God’s gift.”
- Jesus: Stemming from the Classic Latin Iesus, Jesus is an ever-popular Hispanic name that means “God is salvation.”
- John: Strong and reliable, John is a familiar boy’s name that means “Graced by Yahweh.” Jon also works (especially for fans of Games of Thrones).
- Johannes: The OG of John, Johannes is a Hebrew J name that means “God has been gracious.”
- Johan: A shorthand for Johannes, Johan is a popular name in places as far-reaching as Malaysia, South Africa, and Germany.
- Jonathan: “God has given.” And we won’t even get started on all the famous Jonathans there are to honor.
- Joshua: A leader from the Old Testament, Joshua (and its shortened form Josh) means “the Lord is our salvation.”
- Joseph: This significant Hebrew name means “God will give” and can be shortened to a range of fun alternatives — Joey, Joe, Joel, and Jojo, to name a few.
- Joao: A popular Portuguese name, Joao means “God has been gracious.”
- Jonah: “Dove”. 🕊️
- Jonas: This peaceful name also means “dove.” And for fans of the sitcom Superstore, you can’t go wrong.
- Jordan: A tribute to the River Jordan, this name means “to flow down.”
Modern boy names that start with J
For every classic boy’s name, you’ll find an equally mesmerizing alternative.
From short forms to pet names that have earned legendary status, here are our top pics of modern boy names that start with J.
What are some modern boy names that start with J?
Take your pick.
- Joey: Any Friends fans here? Joey means “God will increase,” promising great things for your flourishing baby boy.
- Jake: If you’re looking for an accessible single-syllable variation on Jacob, Jake is a great option.
- Jorge: This Spanish and Portuguese variation of the Greek name George means “farmer.” 🚜
- Jose: The Spanish short form of Joseph, Jose means “God will provide.”
- Judd: This striking variation of Jordan means “Flowing down.”
- Judson: Offering a little more distinction, Judson also stems from an old nickname for Jordan — fellow J name Jetson. Also means “to descend.”
- Jude: A name meaning “praised,” this name is familiar from the actor Jude Law and, of course, the much-loved Beatles’ song — a fun way of celebrating your British heritage.
- Julian: Inspired by the ancient Roman name Julianus and its well-known descendant Julius, Julian means “youthful.”
- Julio: Also meaning “youthful,” Julio is the popular Spanish form of Julian.
- Junior: For your mini-me.
- Justin: A name meaning “fair” and “righteous,” worn by pop stars and Prime Ministers alike.
- Jace: The cooler relative of Jason, Jace shares its Greek origins and means “healer.” You might prefer the popular alternative, Jase.
- Jax: This feisty modern name is a shortened form of Jaxon and means “God is gracious.”
- Jem: This shortened version of Jeremy can stand proudly on its own. If you love To Kill a Mockingbird, this sweet-sounding name is a fitting tribute.
- Jovanny: A more melodic version of the Hebrew Jovan, Jovanny means “God is gracious.”
- Jiminy: This adorable variation of James is perhaps best known as the name of the cute cricket from Pinocchio. 🦗 We also love its celestial roots in the Gemini constellation, which makes it quite the pick for any mid-summer babies — twins, anyone?
- Jameson: It’s rising in popularity as an alternative to James and is also a great way to give a nod to your favorite Irish whiskey.
- Janek: Another cultural take on the classic John, Jenek is a Polish boy’s name that means “God is gracious.”
Unique boy names that start with J
Thanks to its distinctive sound, the letter J has inspired many a unique boy name.
We’ve traveled the globe — figuratively speaking — to find you the most unusual boy J names, each with a special brand of wonder.
What are some unique J names?
Read on and discover.
- Jaala: A Biblical name meaning “little goat”. 🐐
- Jaasau: “My doing” or “they will do” — a proactive Hebrew name.
- Jabulani: A Zulu name filled with gratitude, Jabulani means “rejoice.” 🎉
- Jagger: This old English surname is more frequently used as a first name. It means “to pack” and is, of course, a tribute to Mick.
- Jair: “He shines”. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
- Jalil: An Arabic name meaning “magnificent.”
- Jameel: “Handsome” or “attractive” and definitely a firm favorite for any doting mama.
- Jamin: A Hebrew name, Jamin means “sits on the right hand.”
- Jarvis: This Old English name means “spear.” 🔱
- Jasper: A Persian name meaning “treasurer.”
- Javier: The Spanish spelling of Xavier, this name means “castle” or “new house.” 🏰
- Jawad: One of the many names of Allah, Jawad means “noble one.”
- Jaziel: “Chosen by God.”
- Jedidiah: With Jed as an option for a shortened form, this Hebrew name means “friend of the Lord.”
- Jensen: This popular Scandinavian name literally means “son of Jens.”
- Jericho: From the city of Jericho, this Hebrew name means “place of the moon.“🌙
- Jerusalem: The holy city for so many people of all different faiths, the name means “city of peace.” 🕊️
- Jethro: “Overflow.”
- Jett: Meaning “black stone.” This name could be the perfect tribute to rock ’n roll hero Joan.
- Jian: “God is gracious.”
- Jiles: As an alternative to Giles, this name means “small goat” —
a tongue-in-cheek choice for your lifelong kid.
- Jimmu: The descendant of the Japanese sun and storm gods, Jimmu was a legendary emperor.
- Jin: The Chinese character Jin means “gold.”
- Jiro: A Japanese name meaning “second son.”
- Joaquin: A Spanish name made more popular by actor Joaquin Phoenix, it means “lifted by God.”
- Joffrey: Meaning “peaceful stranger,” Joffrey is the name of a Games of Thrones character.
- Johntay: A Hebrew name meaning “gift of God.”
- Jori: “Flowing down” — who doesn’t love a great water baby name?
- Joselito: “God increases”.
- Journey: A name that speaks for itself.
- Jove: Another name for the Roman god Jupiter, Jove means “father of the sky.”
- Juan-Pablo: The Spanish equivalent of John-Paul, Juan-Pablo means “God is gracious.”
- Judge: For the real decision-maker in the house.
- Juno: This gender-neutral name comes from the Roman god of marriage and birth.
- Jabari: From the Arabic word jabbār comes this heroic boy’s name that means “the brave one.”
And if you’re looking for girls’ names that start with J, check out this list.
What J baby name will you choose?
👶 Find more boys’ baby names through the alphabet:
90 Baby Boy Names That Start With A
64 Boy Names That Start With B
61 Boy Names That Start With C
106 Baby Boy Names That Start With D
75 Baby Boy Names That Start With E
51 Baby Boy Names That Start With F
89 Baby Boy Names That Start With G
88 Baby Boy Names That Start With H
35 Baby Boy Names That Start With I
Baby Boy Names That Start With K
85 Baby Boy Names That Start With L
53 Magnificent Boy Names That Start With M
32 Nifty Baby Boy Names That Start With N
39 Baby Boy Names That Start With O
31 Baby Boy Names that Start With P
36 Baby Boy Names That Start With Q
59 Baby Boy Names That Start With R
113 Baby Boy Names That Start With T
38 Boy Names That Start With U
155 Baby Boy Names That Start With V
72 Baby Boy Names That Start With W
57 Baby Boy Names That Start With X
80 Baby Boy Names That Start With Y
72 Boy Names That Start With Z