This list of baby boy names that start with N offers everything from notorious N names for boys to more nuanced N boy names, and everything in-between.
As you start putting your naming list together for your baby boy, do you find yourself leaning towards boys’ names that start with N?
If so, we’ve put together some of the nicest, neatest, and niftiest N boy names we could think of.
In this article 📝
- What are the most popular boy names that start with N?
- What is a good name for a boy that starts with N?
- What are some Arabic names that begin with N?
- What are Japanese boy names that start with N?
- What are cool names that start with N?
- What are some unique boys’ names that start with N?
What are the most popular boy names that start with N?
Let’s start with the most notorious on our list of N boy names ‒ here are the five most popular N names for boys around the world:
- Noah: This enormously popular Biblical name is clearly capable of weathering a storm or two. Which seems apt: it was Noah who built an ark to survive the Great Flood, after all. Noah has been one of the top choices for boys’ names since about 2009.
- Nathan: Another Biblical name (he was a prophet during King David and King Solomons’ reigns), Nathan is a popular name in Europe, especially among the French.
- Nash: Nash is a British name that means “by the ash tree”. In various mythologies, the ash tree is often associated with magic and can be a symbol of protection.
- Nolan: A fantastic Irish last name that converts into a powerful first name, Nolan means “champion”. You could also spell it Nolin, Nolen or Noland.
- Niko: This gender-neutral name appears in both Finnish and in Greek (but in Greek with a “c”: Nico). Niko means “victory of the people”.
What is a good name for a boy that starts with N?
Not enough? Never fear, we’ve got even more boy names that start with N ‒ take your pick:
- Nando: Think you might have an adventurer on your hands? This German name means “bold voyager”.
- Nathaniel: This Hebrew N boys’ name, meaning “God has given”, came to the US by settlers after rising to popularity in 17th-century England. Parents who use it often love its nickname, Nate. Of course, Nate works as a name on its own, too.
- Neil: This common Scottish name can be spelled in 18 different ways, which means you can pick the one that’s right for you. Alternatives include Neal, Neale, Nile, and Niall: It means “champion”.
- Nelson: You might inspire your baby boy to great heights with this name, which also means “champion”. Just think of the famous South African activist and politician Nelson Mandela.
- Neo: What could be more fitting a name than “new” for the newest member of your family. It also means “gift” and is of Greek origin.
- Nereus: In Greek mythology, Nereus was the old man of the sea and the father of the sea nymphs, the Nereids. Put Nereus on your shortlist if you think you might have a water baby.
- Neville: A French boy’s name that starts with N meaning “new village”, made popular from the Harry Potter series.
- Nevon: This Latin N boy name, which means “sacred”, is likely to resonate with many parents. Who doesn’t think of their little one that way? It can also be spelled Niven.
- Newell: A British boy’s N name that originally meant “new hall”.
- Nicholas: This winning name has its roots in Nike, the Greek goddess of victory. Like Neil, it’s got heaps of different spellings, including Nicolas, Nikolas, Niklaus, and Nikolai.
- Nigel: While it’s fallen in popularity recently, we still love the meaning of Nigel: “champion”.
- Nikhail: A Russian boy’s N name meaning “like God”.
- Niv: Niv has seen a meteoric rise in popularity since just before 2020. Join this rising trend if you’d like your baby’s name to mean “speech” or “expression”.
- Nixon: Following hot on the heels of Nicholas is Nixon, which, in Old English, means “son of Nicholas”. Having an “x” in a name is also undeniably cool.
- Noam: To you, there’s no doubt that your baby boy is the most beautiful child in the world. This name, which comes from Hebrew, means just that: “beautiful” or “good-looking”.
- Noe: A gender-neutral name, Noe relates in some ways to Noah. It means “peaceful”. What more could any parent wish for their child?
- Noel: A unisex name that has French origins, Noel means “Christmas”. It’s not just for Christmas-born babies though; Oasis frontman Noel Gallagher was born in May!
- Norman: A classic British N boys’ name meaning “from the north”.
- Norris: A French boy’s name starting with N that means “northerner”.
What are some Arabic names that begin with N?
There are many beautiful Arabic boys’ names that begin with N – so many, in fact, that we decided to give them a section of their own.
- Nabeel: A strong and proud Arabic N boy’s name meaning “noble”.
- Nabil: Inspire your little one to be noble in character and stature with this boy’s name.
- Nadeem: For the sweet boy, Nadeem means “friend”.
- Nadir: A strong N boys’ name meaning “beloved”.
- Naeem: Bring joy to your little one’s life with this Arabic boy’s name starting with N, meaning “happiness”.
- Nafasat: A gender-neutral Arabic name meaning “purity”.
- Naim: Be content with this gently lilting name. Naim means “to be contented”.
- Najair: For your little star, Najair means “little star”.
- Naji: To empower your little peanut with ambition and drive, Naji means “to survive”.
- Najib: Another strong Arabic N boy’s name meaning “noble”.
- Naseem: For the baby who’s a breath of fresh air, Naseem means “breeze”.
- Nasir: Since the late 1990s, Nasir has hung onto its position of huge popularity among boys’ names. It means “supporter”.
- Nasser: This baby will definitely do well ‒ Nasser means “granter of victory”.
- Nizar: Just one look at this name – a “glance” you might say – and you’ll know whether it’s the one for your little peanut.
- Noor: A unisex name, Noor, which means “light” and “brightness”, will help your baby shine their light from the moment they enter the world.
- Nuri: This name is pronounced NOOR-ee, and in its beautiful lyricism, it seems to embody its meaning, “light”.
What are Japanese boy names that start with N?
Want to honor your Japanese heritage with N boy names or just after something with a Japanese flavor?
Then check out these Japanese boy names that start with N:
- Nago: Meaning “distinguished”.
- Namiko: Meaning “wave”.
- Nao: Meaning “love” or “affection”.
- Naoki: Meaning “tree of truth”.
- Naoko: Meaning “obedient child”.
- Nara: Meaning “happy”.
- Nariko: Meaning “gentle child”.
- Natoru: Meaning “bird”.
- Naruto: Meaning “nine-tailed mythical fox”.
- Natsu: Meaning “born in summer”.
- Natsuki, Natsuye, or Natsumi: Meaning “summer”.
- Natsuko: Meaning “summer child”.
- Nishi: Meaning “west”.
- Noboru or Noburu: Meaning “rise”.
- Nobu: Meaning “stretch”.
- Nobuhide: Meaning “faithfulness”.
- Nobuko: Meaning “trust”.
- Nobuye: Meaning “faith”.
- Nobuyuki: Meaning “truth”.
- Noriaki: Meaning “bright light”.
- Nori: Meaning “belief”.
- Noriko: Meaning “law” and “order”.
- Norio: Meaning “beginning”.
- Noriyuki: Meaning “good fortune”.
- Nozomi: Meaning “hope”.
What are cool names that start with N?
If you want to give your little nipper an edgier name, you’re sure to find your perfect moniker in these cool N boy names:
- Nachshon: Meaning “adventurous” in Hebrew.
- Nashua: Meaning “land between two rivers” in Native American.
- Nayiri: Meaning “land of canyons and rivers” in Armenian.
- Neci: Meaning “fire” in Hungarian.
- Nemo: Meaning “nobody” in Latin. Also a great Disney boy’s name!
- Nero: Meaning “stern” in Latin.
- Nezer: Meaning “crown” in Hebrew.
- Nollaig: Meaning “born on Christmas” in Irish.
- Nooa: Meaning “rest comfortably” in Finnish.
- Northcliff: Meaning “northern cliff” in English.
- Northrup: Meaning “northern farm” in English.
- Nicanor: Meaning “people’s victory” in Greek.
- Niguel: Meaning “champion” in Irish.
- Ning: Meaning “peaceful” in Chinese.
- Nyree: Meaning “flaxen” in Armenian.
What are some unique boys’ names that start with N?
Now for some more uncommon boy names that start with N ‒ for your unique little guy:
- Nakoa: Tackling life requires no small amount of bravery. Calling him this unusual name, which means “brave one”, will certainly stand him in good stead.
- Narcissus: A man who fell in love with his reflection, this name also means “daffodil”.
- Narek: A town in Armenia.
- Nazzareno: A unique Italian N boy name meaning “from Nazareth”.
- Nedrick: An uncommon Old English boy’s name starting with N that means “wealthy guardian”.
- Negasi: A rare Amharic boy’s N name meaning “he will become king”.
- Nehemiah: A Hebrew N boys’ name meaning “God comforts”.
- Neirin: Meaning “surrounded by light”, Neirin is an Irish name that sounds like a beautiful, life-long prophecy.
- Neper: An uncommon Scottish boy’s name starting with N meaning “from the new city”.
- Newlin: Honor your Welsh heritage with this N boys’ name meaning “new pond”.
- Newt: An unusual N boys’ name made more popular from the Fantastic Beasts series.
- Ngozi: Turning to Africa for inspiration this time, Ngozi is an Igbo name that means “blessing”, which your baby boy definitely is. Igbo is widely spoken in eastern Nigeria.
- Nicodemus: An ancient Greek name meaning “people’s victory”.
- Njord: This Scandinavian name means “north”. Njord is also the god of the sea and the patron of fishermen and sailors in Norse mythology.
- Nohea: A name of Hawaiian origin, Nohea means “lovely”. After a bit of a lapse in the late 2010s, this name is once again rising in popularity.
- Novak: A Slavic boy’s name that starts with N meaning “novice”.
- Ntai: Perfect for twins, Ntai is an African N boy’s name meaning “first of twins”.
- Nullah: It’s not often that you hear of a name that is Aboriginal Australian in origin, but Nullah is. It comes from the Dharug language, and means “war club” or “hunting stick”. If your little one is a fierce go-getter, this name is perfect.
- Nuncio: An Italian boy’s N name meaning “messenger”.
- Nye: It’s simple to spell and to say, has a “y” right in the middle of things (which is always kind of awesome), and means “man of honor” in Welsh.
- Nyx: A more gothic N boy’s name meaning “night” in Greek.
That’s it for our nifty baby boy names that start with N!
Of course, there’s no reason to limit yourself to N.
Any other letters taking your fancy?
👶 More baby name guides:
90 Baby Boy Names that Start with A
64 Boy Names that Start With B
61 Boy Names That Start With C
106 Baby Boy Names That Start With D
75 Baby Boy Names That Start With E
51 Baby Boy Names That Start With F
89 Baby Boy Names That Start With G
88 Baby Boy Names That Start With H
35 Baby Boy Names That Start With I
79 Boy Names that Start with J
Baby Boy Names That Start With K
85 Baby Boy Names that Start With L
53 Magnificent Boy Names That Start With M
39 Baby Boy Names That Start With O
31 Baby Boy Names that Start with P
36 Baby Boy Names That Start With Q
59 Baby Boy Names That Start with R
113 Baby Boy Names that Start With T
38 Boy Names That Start With U
155 Baby Boy Names That Start With V
72 Baby Boy Names That Start With W
57 Baby Boy Names that Start With X
80 Baby Boy Names that Start With Y
72 Boy Names That Start With Z