If you’re on the hunt for the perfect boy’s name that begins with the letter P, we’ve got you covered.
The following list includes powerful and poignant names that will help your little one become his own person.
The most popular boys’ names that start with P
Popularity is a funny thing when it comes to names, something can be in fashion one day and then – poof! – out of fashion the next.
These top 10 P names, however, have stood the test of time pretty well.
- Patrick: You can start a new tradition or continue an old one with Patrick, a Latin name that means “Patrician noble” or “son of Patrick”. In Ancient Rome, the Patricians were a group of high-ranking families.
- Parker: This name’s more on the modern side and follows a recent trend to use last names as first names. You could also give it to your baby girl if you like.
- Paxton: Again, this one was originally a last name, one that has seen a skyrocketing increase in popularity in recent years.
- Peter: This old favorite dates to antiquity. Originally a Greek name meaning “rock”, many people also associate it with one of Jesus’s closest apostles.
- Preston: A British name originally (and also the name of a town in the north-west of England), Preston is pronounced PRES-ten.
- Paul: There’s nothing small about this strong name, even if it means “small” or “humble”. Of course, Paul was another important apostle in the Bible who wrote many of the books of the New Testament.
- Philip or Phillip: Several famous princes have been called Philip, including Queen Elizabeth II’s husband of 74 years. Whether you opt for two l’s or one is up to you.
- Pablo: This Spanish and Latin version of Paul might bring out the artist in your little peanut. Think of the famous painter Pablo Picasso or the Chilean poet Pablo Neruda.
- Presley: While this one might make you want to break out into “Jailhouse Rock”, it’s actually an Old English name that means “priest’s meadow”. You could also spell it Presly or Presleigh.
- Pedro: As Pablo is to Paul, so Pedro is to Peter. This name evokes strength, tradition and loyalty.
Boys’ names from myth, literature and legend that start with P
The following names have rich and powerful histories and associations.
- Paris: Paris was the prince who kidnapped the Queen of Sparta, Helen, and sparked the Trojan War. It’s also the capital of France, of course.
- Perseus: Another Greek hero, Perseus was famous for being a slayer of monsters. With a name like that, your little one won’t have to worry about creatures under the bed.
- Pharaoh: He’s sure to be the king of your heart, so why not honour your little one with this name for the kings of ancient Egypt?
- Phoenix: This unisex name comes from Greek and Egyptian mythology. A phoenix is an immortal bird that, when it dies, is born again from its own ashes. For something different, you might want to spell it Phenix or Phoenyx.
- Plato: This one might make you think of the famous philosopher, whose ideas have influenced philosophical thought for thousands of years. It’s also a Greek word that means “broad-shouldered”.
- Poseidon: Talk about powerful! This ancient Greek god of the sea and water was the brother of Zeus, god of the sky, and Hades, god of the underworld.
- Prospero: Propsero is the protagonist of Shakespeare’s The Tempest, a play about magic, love and forgiveness.
Boys names with P from other cultures and languages
It’s always worth looking to cultures and languages other than your own for inspiration. You might find an unfamiliar name that really resonates with you.
- Panos: An Armenian name, Panos is a lyrical name for a little boy you hope will be steadfast and strong. It means “rock”.
- Panther: It refers to the beautiful jungle cat, of course, but Panther is also a Greek name that means “all beasts”.
- Panyin: Do you have twins? This one, a boy’s name from Ghana that means the “elder of twins”, is ideal for your oldest child.
- Pascoal: If your little boy is born around Easter time, this Portuguese name, meaning “child of Easter”, is the perfect fit. Pascoe is the Latin origin of this word, and is also a boy’s name.
- Pei: Originally a Chinese name meaning “abundant”, the popularity of this simple name has been on the up and up for quite a while now.
- Pentele: This Hungarian name, which means “merciful”, defines a character trait we all want to see in our children.
- Purnit: There’s no doubt that your little one has completed you, so why not show this in his name? Meaning “complete”, Purnit is a boy’s name of Indian origin.
Rare and unusual boys’ names beginning with P
What about a name you don’t hear every day? The following might be new to you.
- Pace: This Hebrew name means “passover”. You could also choose to spell it with an “i”: Paice.
- Pacorro: Meaning “free man”, Pacorro is a Spanish and Latin name that rolls right off the tongue.
- Pakelika: Originally a Latin name, Pakelika is a variant of Patrick that comes from Hawaii.
- Pax: Although not as rare as it once was, this beautiful boy’s name – meaning “peace” in Latin – deserves its rise in popularity.
- Penn: Short and simple, Penn feels as contained and stable as the enclosure or hill it refers to.
- Porter: Another last name-turned-first name, this one is likely to stand out from the rest. It’s got a warm and gentle ring, but hasn’t been overly used yet.
- Pryce: Your prized baby boy deserves a first-prize name. Fortunately, that’s the very meaning of this Old French word.
Finding the right name for your little one can be tricky – it’s got to be just right.
If you’re still looking for ideas after pursuing the P names above, why don’t you take a look at our list of 1000 Popular Baby Boy Names or our list of the Most Popular Baby Names of 2020, which features girls’ names, too.
👶 More baby name guides:
90 Baby Boy Names that Start with A
61 Boy Names That Start With C
106 Baby Boy Names That Start With D
75 Baby Boy Names That Start With E
Baby Boy Names That Start With K
79 Boy Names that Start with J
85 Baby Boy Names that Start With L
32 Nifty Baby Boy Names that Start with N
39 Baby Boy Names That Start With O
113 Baby Boy Names that Start With T
57 Baby Boy Names that Start With X