Ah, Christmas with a newborn. Make your baby’s first Christmas extra special with these festive ideas, from outfits to gifts and everything in between.
‘Tis the season to be jolly — and your baby’s first Christmas will make for an especially magical holiday this year!
Maybe you’ve got family Christmas traditions that you’re excited to pass on to your new arrival.
Or maybe you’re looking for new ways to commemorate and celebrate their first Christmas.
Either way, we’ve got you covered.
Whether it’s a keepsake to treasure for years to come, a personalized ornament, or an exciting Christmas experience, we’ll help you make your baby’s first Christmas extra special.
Here are our favorite baby’s first Christmas ideas.
In this article: 📝
- What do you get a baby for its first Christmas?
- What do you do with babies for Christmas?
- What do you put on a baby Christmas list?
What do you get a baby for its first Christmas?
Baby’s first Christmas is a great time to give them a keepsake or special Christmas item that they can treasure for years to come. If you’re wondering what to buy for baby’s first Christmas, we love these ideas for your baby’s first Christmas present.
Get advice on Peanut
1. Christmas outfits
What could be cuter than your baby all dressed up in some special Christmas PJs?
How about the whole family in a matching set?
Yep, it’s time to go all out!
Whether it’s a Santa onesie, some traditional plaid or Fairisle pajamas, or a snowman snow-suit, a special Christmas outfit is the perfect way for your family to get in the spirit.
And ideal for your Christmas photo album ‒ don’t forget to share your snaps with the other mamas of Peanut!
Here are some of our favorite baby’s first Christmas outfits for you to choose from:
- Baby Girl ‘My 1st Christmas’ Dotty Romper, Tulle Tutu Skirt, Leg Warmers & Headband
- Just Love Christmas Coverall with Matching Santa Hat
- ‘My First Christmas’ Baby Girl Outfit Plaid Reindeer Romper & Suspender Skirt
- My First Christmas’ Fairisle 4-Piece Newborn Outfit
- ‘My 1st Christmas’ Bow Tie Romper & Pants Outfit
- Baby Girl Red & Green Plaid Tunic & Leggings Christmas Outfit
- Newborn Christmas Romper Lace Gingerbread Sleeveless Dress & Headband
- RETSUGO Newborn 1st Christmas Elf Romper 3-Piece Set
2. Classic Christmas books
Even though your little one won’t be able to read along yet, it’s never too early to gift them with some special Christmas books.
Here are some Christmas classics to read to your baby for a meaningful and memorable family tradition:
- The Night Before Christmas is a classic that you can read each Christmas Eve bedtime for years to come.
- Indestructibles: Jingle Baby is a Christmas book made for baby!
- You’re My Little Christmas Cookie is every bit as sweet as it sounds.
- My First Disney Christmas Bedtime Storybook is perfect for a baby from a Disney-loving family.
- Santa’s Workshop: Christmas Lift-a-Flap is another tailor-made Christmas baby book to get them involved as early as possible.
- Bear Stays Up for Christmas is an adorable tale with the message that giving is the best gift of Christmas.
- Moo, Baa, Fa La La La La! is a fantastic way to get baby to utter those magical first words ‒ you just have to be prepared to sing!
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is another Christmas classic not to be missed.
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar’s Peekaboo Christmas, where the caterpillar eats his way through Christmas (same).
- Santa’s Express Reindeer is a heartwarming tale of the lead reindeer before Rudolph. An interesting twist on a holiday classic!
3. A piggy bank
The perfect keepsake, a piggy bank is a special gift for your baby’s first Christmas.
You could go for something traditional, like a silver teddy-style piggy bank, or choose one in your baby’s favorite character or a design to match your nursery decor.
Here are a few of our favorite piggy banks for baby’s first Christmas:
- Pearhead Pink Polka Dot Ceramic Piggy Bank
- Creative Gifts International Pewter ABC Block Bank for Kids
- Pearhead Ceramic White Elephant Bank
- Summidate Personalized Large Unbreakable Wooden Letter Piggy Bank
- Baby Aspen Ceramic Porcelain Princess Carriage Piggy Bank
- Hapinest Ceramic Dinosaur Triceratops Piggy Bank
4. Nativity set
If you’ve almost got a toddler on your hands, you might be wondering what should I get my 12 month old for Christmas?
A toy nativity scene might be the perfect way to teach them about the importance of Christmas (if you’re religious), and they can play with the figurines as you go.
Available in many styles, a simple wooden or colorful painted nativity set can be played with and displayed proudly each year.
Here are some options for you to choose from:
- Fabric Nativity Scene Wall Hanging
- Fisher-Price Little People Nativity
- Melissa & Doug Classic Wooden Christmas Nativity Set
- Imagination Generation Nativity Set for Kids
5. Milestone baby cards
If you or someone you know has a newborn at Christmas time, milestone cards are a special present to help keep track of every moment with the new bundle of joy in the year ahead.
Here are a few of the best baby milestone cards for Christmas, as chosen by our Peanut mamas:
- White Loft Baby First Holiday Milestone Cards
- LooliBird Baby Monthly Milestone Blanket
- GroWings Baby Milestone Cards 36 Cards Set
- Milestone Blocks for Baby
6. A year in photos
A great idea if you’re looking for a more efficient way to track your baby’s growth, rather than scrolling yet again through the 168 million photos of your baby on your phone.
(Yep, we all do it!)
Find a special photo frame with 12 slots so you can display your baby’s first year, month by month.
It’s a great way to see just how much your little one is changing, and you can create a gorgeous gallery wall of smiles if you choose to fill a new frame each year.
How time flies!
7. Christmas swaddle or blanket
Gingerbread men, candy canes, elves, snowmen, maybe Santa and his sleigh ‒ there are loads of cute designs to wrap your little bundle in for the holidays
8. A Christmas teether
What should I get my 6-month-old for Christmas?
Anything your baby can put in their mouth and chew will be a winner at this age.
Even if they’re not teething, they’re probably doing a lot of exploration with their gums.
9. Baby’s first Christmas stocking
Hanging up your stockings on Christmas eve has never been so special because now you can hang a personalized stocking for your baby.
Maybe you’ll choose one that says “Baby’s First Christmas” or one with their name or initials.
The excitement of seeing their own special stocking will only grow as your baby gets older.
Here are some baby’s first Christmas stockings to hang over the fireplace:
- Heart’s Sign ‘My First Christmas’ Stocking 2022 with Photo
- The Cotton & Canvas Co. Baby Christmas Stocking
- Pearhead ‘My First Christmas’ Stocking
- Heart’s Sign ‘Babys First Christmas’ Stocking 2022 Giraffe
- CHRLRewa 20 Inches Initial Monogram Embroidered Christmas Stocking
What should I get my 7 week old baby for Christmas?
Time to be brutally honest ‒ your 7-week-old newborn won’t remember their first Christmas.
But you will!
So instead of a gift ‘for baby’, how about a keepsake to remember the moment?
We love the idea of a baby’s first Christmas ornament as a memento.
What do you do with babies for Christmas?
Aside from gifts, how else can you celebrate baby’s first Christmas?
Well, now’s the time to start the family traditions!
So here are some ideas from our Peanut mamas so you can cherish the moment with your little one.
10. Santa photos
If you don’t want to risk your baby screaming at Santa in a public place, you could always buy or rent a Santa outfit for a family member to play the part at a special Santa party in the lead up to Christmas.
A photo of your baby with Santa for their first Christmas is a must-do!
11. Christmas lights walk
If your neighborhood is as Christmassy as Buddy the Elf, bundle up baby for a special walk to enjoy the Christmas lights on display.
The bright colors and twinkling lights will enchant your baby, whatever their age.
Can newborns see Christmas lights?
Yes and no.
But if you want your little one to see Christmas lights in detail, they may have to be about 20cm away from their face.
Not too close, mind you ‒ it can strain your little one’s eyes if lights are up close.
12. First tastes of Christmas dinner
If you’ve started your baby on solids, perhaps their first Christmas will include some first tastes of your traditional Christmas dinner.
Just make sure it’s safe for their development, whether this means blending a small amount of turkey and veggies into a puree or letting them experiment with some finger foods.
What do you put on a baby Christmas list?
If you have family member who want to buy baby something for their first Christmas, it can be tricky to know what to ask for.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Board books
- Age-appropriate toys
- Experiences, like a visit to the zoo or caroling
And if you find you already have everything your little one could need, it’s okay to ask for a donation to their bank account ‒ or even for nothing at all!
Enjoy this feestive season, mama.
Christmas 2022 is set to be a fabulously festive time ‒ a perfect year for baby’s first Christmas!
Don’t forget to share your super-adorable Christmas baby snaps on Peanut ‒ there’s nothing cuter than a baby in a Santa hat!
Merry Christmas, mama!