Take a look at our list of girl names that start with D and see what catches your eye.
Baby girl names that start with D
Let’s start with some of the most popular girls’ names starting with a D. These names all make the top 1,000 in the U.S. and the U.K.
- Daisy: Like the popular flower, this name is short and sweet.
- Dakota: You might know it as a pair of Midwestern states, but the name also means “friend”.
- Daniela: The feminine form of Daniel, which means “God is my judge”. This can also be spelled with a double l.
- Darcy or Darcie: Pride and Prejudice made Mr. Darcy famous, but as a D name for girls, this means “dark-haired”.
- Delaney: Meaning “from the alder grove”.
- Delilah: In the Old Testament story, Delilah isn’t the best role model, but this is still a beautiful name that means “delicate”.
- Demi: A French name literally meaning “half” or “small”.
- Destiny: A name meaning “fate” for the little girl you’ve been waiting for. This name is very popular in the U.S.
- Dahlia: Another flower name that’s rising in popularity.
- Daphne: A daphne is a semi-evergreen plant used in a lot of English gardens, and also a name meaning “bay” or “laurel tree”.
More girls’ names that start with D
If you’re looking for a name for your daughter that’s a little rarer, try some of these:
- Dale: This name can be used for either gender. It’s a geographical name that means “valley”.
- Dallas: We associate this name with Texas, but it’s originally the name of a small village in Scotland. It means “meadow”.
- Dani: A shortened form of Danielle, Daniela, or (if you’re looking for popular girl’s names from the 2010s) Daenerys.
- Dara: A name that’s popular all over the world. It can mean either “rich”, “oak tree”, or “pearl of wisdom”, depending on the language of the country you’re in.
- Daria: Meaning “God’s gift”.
- Darla: An elegant name with a musical feel that means “darling”.
- Dasha: Like Daria, this is a Greek name that means “God’s gift”.
- Davina: This name means “beloved”. It’s originally Scottish but is used all over the U.K.
- Dawn: Great for a little girl who was born at sunrise. This name is a simple but beautiful female name that starts with D.
- Dawson: This name literally means “son of David”.
- Dayanara: The first Spanish name on our list. Dayanara might be perfect for your strong little girl as it means “forceful”.
- Deanna: This name refers to the Roman goddess of fertility and hunting.
- Debora or Deborah: Debora was a character in the Old Testament. The name means “bee”, and we think Debbie is a nickname that’s going to work for all ages.
- Delia: A German name meaning “noble” and “pleasant”.
- Della: This name is related to Delia.
- Delphine: This name is Latin. It’s a shortened form of Delphinia, which was taken from the famous Temple at Delphi.
- Delta: The mouth of a river or the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet.
- Denise: This name has connections with Dionysus, who was the Greek God of wine and good times.
- Desiree: Meaning “desire”.
- Dia: A Spanish name meaning “day”.
- Dierdre: This name doesn’t have the happiest meaning (“sorrowful”) but it is timeless.
- Dina: In English, it means from the “valley”. In Hebrew, it means “judged”.
- Dolly: Meaning “gift of God”.
- Dominique: This is the feminine form of Dominic, a male name that means “belonging to God”.
- Donna: An Italian name meaning “lady”, or a shorter form of Belladonna.
- Dora: A shortened form of Theodora or Dorothy, which both mean “God’s gift”.
- Doris: Also meaning “gift”.
- Dorothy: A vintage name that’s making a comeback.
- Drew: A shortened form of Andrew that also works for a girl.
- Dulce: A short and sweet name with an even sweeter meaning.
- Dylan: Meaning “of the sea”.
What are some unique girl names that start with D?
This list has some of our favorite D girl names. You might never have heard some of these before, but we think that once you hear them, at least one or two will stick in your head.
- Daffodil: A flower name that’s popular in the Netherlands
- Davida: David is rising in the naming charts, why not the girl’s equivalent?
- Deandra: Meaning “divine” or “defender of mankind”.
- Demetra: Relating to Demeter, the goddess of farming and harvests.
- Denim: Meaning “strong cloth”.
- Dextra: A feminine version of Dexter, which can mean “fortunate”.
- Diamond: Why not name your daughter after the most precious stone?
- Dielle: A French name meaning “worships God”.
- Dixie: This literally means “tenth born”, but it works even for your first baby.
- Dream: For the one you’ve been dreaming of.
- Drucilla: Meaning “fruitful”.
What is a badass name for a girl?
What’s the baddest girl name you could give your daughter? It really depends on your definition.
Many parents want their little girl to grow up to smash glass ceilings, break new ground, and make her mark by doing good in the world. So are there any strong D names that might help her to do that?
You could name your daughter after an amazing woman from the world of sport, science, or history. Dorothy, after Dorothy Hodgkin, the Nobel Prize-winning chemist whose work paved the way for lots of scientific discoveries in the second half of the 20th century.
Or Dara, after the swimmer Dara Torres, a 12-time Olympic medallist.
But we think there’s an argument to be made that Diana is the most badass girl’s name of all. Diana was a Roman goddess who was never seen without her bow and arrow. And just look at the women who’ve been given her name:
- Diana Spencer, aka Diana, Princess of Wales
- Diana Nyad, the first person to swim from Florida to Cuba (and she did it without a shark cage).
- Diana Ross, musical icon
- Diana Prince, who is Wonder Woman herself
If you haven’t found your dream D name, don’t fret. For more name inspiration, why not take a look at:
100+ Uncommon Baby Names & Their Meanings
90 Strong Baby Girl Names & Their Meanings
183 Exquisitely Exotic Baby Girl Names
21 Girl Names That Start With A
67 Girl Names That Start With C
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
58 Girl Names That Start With S
Or join the Peanut community for some friendly suggestions and name chat.