Looking for the perfect baby girl names that start with G?
Whether you’re keeping up a family tradition, or you’ve always loved the letter that brought us good, gold, and goddess, girl names with G offer a world of great options.
So what are some girl names that start with G? Well, there’s the genial Gill, the generous Genevieve, and the gentle Georgi. And that’s just the start.
Ready to explore our full list? Let’s dive in.
In this article: 📝
- What is a name starting with G?
- What are cute names that start with G?
- What are unique girl names that start with G?
What is a name starting with G?
In 2020, this girl name that starts with a G made it onto the Top 20 list:
- Giana. This sweet-sounding name means “God is gracious.”
What are cute names that start with G?
- Gabriella. This popular Italian name is of Hebrew origin and means “devoted to God.”
- Gabrielle. And here’s the French version. Gabby, Gabi, or Ella all make great shortened versions.
- Gail. This name is bright and breezy — and means “father’s joy.” Gayle is an alternative spelling.
- Gemma. “Precious stone” 💎
- Genevieve. A classic name of either Celtic or Germanic origin, Genevieve means “woman of the race.”
- Georgia. If this name’s been on your mind, you share something with Ray Charles. A feminine version of George, it means “farmer.” 👩🏽🌾
- Georgie. This adorable name is a great alternative to Georgia and has the same meaning. It also means “farmer.”
- Geraldine. This is one powerhouse of a name. It means “rules with a spear.”
- Gertrude. It’s the “strength of the spear” for this one too. And it’s got some cute shortened versions like Gertie.
- Georgiana. Like its sister names, Georgiana means “farmer.”
- Georgette. And here’s the French version. Yep, you guessed it — “farmer” too.
- Gia. “God is gracious”
- Giana. While it’s got a sweet extra syllable, like Gia, Giana means “God is gracious.”
- Giavanna. This popular Italian name is of the same family and means “God is gracious” too. Giovanna is an alternative.
- Gillian. “Youthful”
- Gina. “Queen” 👑
- Giuliana. “Youthful”
- Giulietta. Yep, this one will keep you young at heart, too. It also means “youthful.”
- Gizelle. Meaning “pledge,” Gisele is an alternative spelling of this name.
- Gladys. “Princess” 👑
- Glenda. This name is likely of Welsh origin and means “pure” and “good.”
- Glinda. She’s the good witch in The Wizard of Oz. No wonder her name means “pure” and “good.”
- Glory. Need we say more?
- Goldie. 🥇
- Grace. This name comes with built-in goodness and charm. Gracie is a cute alternative.
- Greta. “Pearl” 🦪
- Gretchen. This is the slightly longer version and also means “pearl.”
- Gustava. “Staff of the gods”
- Gwendolyn. A name of Welsh origin, Gwendolyn means “blessed ring” or “fair bow.” And you have the option of Gwen for short.
- Gwenda. “Fair” and “good”
- Gwyneth. “Happiness” 💓
What are unique girl names that start with G?
And then, if you’re looking for something a little more unusual, these names might be just the ticket.
- Gabourey. This Hebrew name means “the power of God.”
- Gabriel. “God is my strength”
- Gaia. This is one powerful name. Gaia was the Greek goddess of earth, and mother of all things.
- Galatia. “The color of milk” 🥛
- Galia. This beautiful Hebrew name means “wave.” 🌊
- Galice. “Fountain” ⛲
- Galilea. This Italian name has Hebrew origins. Galilee was the name of an important region in the bible.
- Gamada. “Cheerful” 🎈
- Gaho. “Mother”
- Galina. A Slavic name, Galina means “serenity.”
- Gamila. This Swahili name means “beautiful.”
- Ganya. A name of Russian origin, Ganya means “worships God.”
- Gardenia. “Garden’s flower” 🌸
- Garland. “Wreath” or “prize” 🎀
- Gasha. From its Russian origins, it means “good.” From its Greek roots, it means “beloved.” ❤️
- Gasira. “Brace”
- Gauri. Also spelled Gouri, this mighty Indian name means “shining” and “brilliant.” 🌟
- Gavrilla. This name of Hebrew origin means “God is my strength.”
- Genesee. “Beautiful valley” 🖼️
- Genesis. “Origin”
- Geneva. A name of French origin, Geneva means “juniper tree.” It’s also an exquisite city in Switzerland.
- Genevie. “Woman of the tribe”
- Gentry. This is a fancy name for a fancy baby. It means “aristocracy.”
- Georgine. “Farmer”
- Gerta. “Spear”
- Giada. “Jade” — as in the precious stone.
- Gianni. “God is gracious”
- Gigi. This sweet name means “God is my strength.” It’s also the title of a popular 1950s musical.
- Gila. “Joy of the Lord”
- Gilberta. “Bright promise”
- Giinevra. Meaning “white spirit”, also the full name of Ginny Weasley in Harry Potter.
- Ginger. Meaning “pure,” Ginger could also be the name of a red-headed baby.
- Ginny. A lighter version of Guinevere, Ginny means “fair” and “soft.”
- Gionna. “God is gracious”
- Gisella. Meaning “pledge,” Gisella can be shortened to the fun Gizi.
- Gitana. This Spanish name means “traveler.” 🌎
- Glenna. Of Gaelic origin, Glenna means “from the valley.”
- Gloriann. A perfect mixture of “glory” and “grace.”
- Gobnait. “Blacksmith”
- Golda. 🏆
- Gota. This powerful Swedish name means “strong.”
- Gracelynn. “Blessing” 💖
- Graciella. This one means “blessing” too. 💕
- Grainne. “The sun” ☀️
- Gracyn. “Son of the gray-haired man”
- Greenlee. This pretty name of English origin means “from the green field.”
- Gwenivere. “White phantom”
- Giulia. While the name is quite common, this spelling of Julia is really unique. It means “young” and “energetic.”
- Grecia. “Gracious”
- Greer. This name of Scottish origin means “watchful” and “guardian.”
- Gretel. From its German origins, Gretel means “pearl.” And if you are a fan of Grimm’s Fairy Tales, you may know that this name is extra sweet.
- Griselda. This one has Germanic origins too and has a rather mighty meaning — “dark battle.”
- Guadalupe. A name of Spanish roots, Guadalupe is a popular surname and interesting first name. Its meaning is “valley of the wolf.” 🐺
- Gudrun. This Scandinavian name is of Old Norse origins — and has a rather mystical meaning. It’s “secret lore.”
- Guillermina. “Determined protector”
- Gurnoor. This gorgeous Indian name means “the light of God.”
- Gypsy. We’ll cap our list with this perfect name for a little wanderer. 🌎
All the best with your choice!
💡 You might also like:
359 Baby Girl Names That Start With A
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With B
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
82 Baby Girl Names That Start With F
111 Baby Girl Names That Start With H
107 Girl Names That Start with I
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
84 Girl Names That Start With K
66 Girl Names That Start With L
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With N
82 Girls Names That Start With O
57 Baby Girl Names That Start With P
20 Baby Girl Names Starting with Q
92 Girl Names That Start With R
58 Girl Names That Start With S
70 Girl Names That Start with T
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With U
123 Girl Names That Start with V
80 Baby Girl Names That Start With W
54 Baby Girl Names That Start With X
75 Baby Girl Names that Start with Y
82 Baby Girl Names that Start with Z (and Their Meanings)