Baby Girl Names that Start with M
2 years ago7 min read
Last updated: Mar 17 2023
Marvelous. Mastery. Magnetic.
Looking for options of baby girl names that start with M? Here’s a list of our favorites.
Your guide to M girl names
M names for girls. Let’s go.
What are the top 10 prettiest girl names?
Here is the top of our list for M names.
- Macie: “A gift to the lord”
- Madeline: A Biblical name meaning “tower.” And for lovers of the sweet children’s series of the same name, you can’t go wrong.
- Maeve: “Intoxicating”
- Makayla: This timeless name is of Hebrew origins and means “who resembles God.”
- Maleah: This beautiful Hawaiian name means “calm waters.”
- Manuelita: A feminine version of the name “Manuel,” this Spanish name means “God is with us.”
- Marbella: This name means “star of the sea” and can be abbreviated to the ever-sweet Ella.
- Matilda: Meaning “battle strength,” Matilda is the perfect combo of pretty and powerful. Plus, if you want a future bookworm on your hands, this may just be the perfect name.
- Mia: Meaning “mine,” this popular name is also a shortened form of Maria.
- Milana: Of Czech roots, this beautiful name means “favored.”
What are popular names that start with M?
- Margaret: This name never goes out of style and means “pearl.” Plus, Maggie for short? Adorable.
- Maria: A Biblical name with a host of meanings. “Beloved,” “of the sea,” and “bitter.” This name has so many variations, including the classic “Mary.”
- Marina: “Of the sea.” 🌊 (Head here for more water names.)
- Marley: This sweet name is Old English for “pleasant wood.”
- Martha: A name that has a classic charm, Martha means “the lady.”
- Maya: The Greek version means “good mother,” and the Hebrew version means “water.”
- Megan: With its Greek roots, this name means “mighty.” Its Welsh meaning is “pearl.” So you may just have a mighty jewel on your hands.
- Melissa: The Greek word for “bee,” the name Melissa has been bestowed on many of the greats, from actors to musicians to writers to politicians.
- Michelle: This version of the name Michael means “Who is like God?”
- Miley: “Dear” and “pleasant.” And of course the name of a famous Cyrus.
- Molly: A charming version of the classic “Margaret”
What are unique girl names that start with M?
And now for some unique girl names that start with M.
- Maaja: An Arabic name meaning “splendid”
- Malaysia: This geographical name possibly means “mountain” or “mountain town” in Sanskrit.
- Malia: Brought to recent fame by a young Obama, Malia is a form of Maria, meaning “rebelliousness.”
- Mabel: This adorable name means “loveable.”
- Marisol: Of Spanish origin, this name means “Mary of Solitude.”
- Marwa: This name, meaning “white stone,” is of Arabic origins.
- Mavis: Songbird. 🐦
- Madison: Meaning “son of Matthew” (yes, it’s originally a boy’s name!), this name carries the shine of a famous NYC avenue—and can be shortened to the adorable “Maddie.”
- Mae: A Roman version of “May,” this name means “mother.”
- Magnolia: As in the exquisite flower 💮
- Maisie: A Scottish form of “Margaret,” Maisie means “pearl.”
- Malana: A Hawaiian name meaning “light”
- Malva: “Delicate”
- Malitta: “Sweet as honey” 🍯
- Maluhia: A Hawaiian name meaning “serenity”
- Manda: An interesting variation on the more common Mandy, Manda is Old English for “loveable.”
- Mandolin: As in the instrument
- Manette: “Star of the sea”
- Marigold: “Magnificent Mary.” And a magnificent flower.
- Margo: “Pearl”
- Marlowe: This gender-neutral name means “driftwood.”
- Maurella: A magical name meaning “dark” or “elfin”
- Maysun: “Beautiful face” 😊
- Mayu: Of Japanese roots, Mayu means “true” and “generous.”
- Mckenna: Of Celtic origins, this name demands respect.
- Meadow: A dreamy name that’s exactly what it says it is.
- Medb: Of Irish origin, this name means “intoxicating.”
- Melody: 🎶🎶🎶
- Meradee: This one means “happy song.”
- Meredith: Meaning “great lord,” this name was made famous by a certain TV doctor.
- Mila: “Miracles”
- Milena: Of Slavic origin, Milena means “gracious.”
- Miracle: Nuff said.
- Missa: “Honeybee” 🐝
- Miyu: A Japanese name meaning “gentle beauty.”
- Mizuki: “Beautiful moon” 🌙
- Moana: Now a Disney classic, this Hawaiian name means “ocean.”
- Moesha: “Drawn out of the water”
- Moibeal: A Gaelic name meaning “lovable”
- Moireach: This Scottish name means “lady.”
- Moise: A Hebrew name meaning “savior”
- Momoka: This Japanese name has a few possible meanings—”peach tree,” “perfume” and “flower.”
- Morwen: “Maiden”
- Mugisa: A Ugandan name meaning “blessing”
- Mulan: As in the powerful warrior. The name Mulan means “wood orchid.”
- Musoke: This African name means “rainbow.”
- Myla: A French name meaning “soldier.”
- Myma: An Irish name with a sweet sound, Myma means “beloved.”
- Mystery: We can’t reveal the meaning of this one.
- Mythri: Of Indian origin, Mythri means “friendship.”
What’s a badass name for a girl?
Here are some baby girl names that start with M and pack a feisty punch.
- Mab: Of Welsh origin, this name means “hilarity” and “joy.” For fans of Shakespeare, Mab is the famous “fairies’ midwife.”
- Maci: Don’t be deceived by the sweetness of its sound. This name is a force—it means “weapon.”
- Mackenzie: A Gaelic name meaning “child of the wise leader”
- Mara: “Strength” 💪
- Marquashia: From the French “marquis,” this is a name for a leader.
- Maxine: This name means “the greatest.” And when the pressure of that gets too great, shorten to the sweet “Max.”
- Melany: Meaning “darkness” in Greek, this name is a perfect combination of depth and beauty.
- Merida: As in the badass Disney princess. (Keen for some more Disney names? Head here.)
- Meztli: Of Aztec origin, Meztli means “the moon.” 🌙
- Midnight: 🌃
- Millie: “Gentle strength” or “industrious”
- Mimir: “The wise one”
- Mimis: Of Hebrew origin, Mimis was the Goddess of the Harvest.
- Mina: A name of Indian origin meaning “joyful.”
- Moa: It means “mother” and what could be more powerful than that?
- Monifa: Of Arabic origins, Monifa means “lucky.”
- Monkaushka: Of Sioux origin, this powerful name means “earthquake.”
- Morgan: “Sea protector.” Now that’s one badass name.
- Morgana: King Arthur’s sister
- Morowa: A Ghanain name meaning “queen” 👑
- Mutia: Of Arabic origin, Mutia means “generous.”
- Myla: “Soldier”
Congratulations on your arrival. We wish you all the best with your choice. 💚
👶 More baby girl names:
359 Girl Names That Start With A
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With B
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
82 Baby Girl Names That Start With F
89 Baby Girl Names that Start with G
111 Baby Girl Names That Start With H
107 Girl Names That Start with I
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
84 Girl Names That Start With K
66 Girl Names That Start With L
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With N
82 Girls Names That Start With O
57 Baby Girl Names That Start With P
20 Baby Girl Names Starting with Q
92 Girl Names That Start With R
58 Girl Names That Start With S
70 Girl Names That Start with T
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With U
123 Girl Names That Start with V
80 Baby Girl Names That Start With W
75 Baby Girl Names that Start with Y
54 Baby Girl Names That Start With X
82 Baby Girl Names that Start with Z (and Their Meanings)