On a quest for a rare name for your little baby girl? Baby girl names that start with Q might be exactly what you are looking for.
Now then, alongside the letter Z, Q is a serious contender for the rarest letter in the English language.
But when it comes to girl names, it is definitely the rarest letter out there.
Here, we’ve scoured the planet for some of these rare gems.
So, from Quinn to Quyen to Quintana Roo, here are some of our favorite girl names that start with Q.
In this article: 📝
- Popular girl names that start with Q
- Names that start with Q for a girl
Popular girl names that start with Q
Currently there are a grand total of two girl names that start with Q in the 1000 most popular baby names in the US right now.
What are they?
- Quinn. Meaning “head” and by association “wisdom”, Quinn is an Irish Gaelic name. Once upon a time it was mainly a boy’s name. But now it’s a popular choice for girls.
- Queen. Her majesty herself. This is the second most popular girl name beginning with Q in the US.
Names that start with Q for a girl
So, what are some more female names that start with Q?
Here’s an ultimate list—from all over the world:
- Quincy. Usually saved for the fifth born child, Quincy is another name that was once mainly for baby boys. These days, it’s common among girls too.
- Quinley. A variation of the popular Q girls’ name Quinn, it adds a cute little extra.
- Quetzalli. A name of Nahuatl origin—the ancient Mexican culture—Quetzalli means “feather” or “precious thing”. It could be shortened to Sally for a cute and unique name.
- Quentin. A name from the French, it started life as a boys’ name, but those gender differences are crumbling. It makes a perfect female name beginning with Q.
- Quintana Roo. The name of a region in southern Mexico, it’s a beautifully playful name for a baby girl. The writer Joan Didion named her daughter Quintana Roo.
- Queta. This Q-name is actually thought to mean “homeowner”. But it’s also a shortened version of the Portuguese name Enriqueta.
- Quyen. The name Quyen is a common name for girls in Vietnam. It means “powerful”, perfect for the woman your little one will grow up to be. Fun fact: a quyen is also a type of bird.
- Quilla. Thought to be of Spanish origin, Quilla means “goddess of the moon”. The British artist Quilla Constance sports this lovely Q name for girls.
- Quenna. An enchanting alternative to the name Queen.
- Quita. A name that originates from the Spanish, meaning “little”.
- Quanah. Quanah Parker was a famous leader of the Comanche nation. It’s a gorgeous and unique name for a girl.
- Quentina. A particularly rare name, Quentina is a female version of the classic male Quentin.
- Querida. Used in Spanish as an address to someone you love, Querida means something like “dear”. It’s a beautiful name for a girl.
- Qiana. An Arabic name meaning “gracious”, it can also be spelt Quiana.
- Quintessa. Another variation on Quinn or Quentin—both meaning “fifth”—Quintessa adds an elegant twist.
- Qi. A name of Chinese Mandarin origin, the term means “energy”, “vapor”, or “air”.
- Qiao. Another Chinese name meaning “handsome” or “pretty”.
- Quieta. An Italian name meaning “tranquility” or “to listen”.
From the quixotic to the quotidian, that’s been our list of girl names beginning with Q.
Know any more? Why not share them with the Peanut community?
If Q didn’t provide the inspiration you were after, how about:
359 Baby Girl Names That Start With A
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With B
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
82 Baby Girl Names That Start With F
107 Girl Names That Start with I
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
84 Girl Names That Start With K
66 Girl Names That Start With L
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
82 Girls Names That Start With O
57 Baby Girl Names That Start With P
92 Girl Names That Start With R
58 Girl Names That Start With S
70 Girl Names That Start with T
123 Girl Names That Start with V
75 Baby Girl Names that Start with Y
82 Baby Girl Names that Start with Z (and Their Meanings)