There’s something unusual about names that start with letters near the end of the alphabet. They’re just that much more uncommon, and are likely to make someone’s ears prick up when they hear it.
V names are particularly interesting, not only because of their rarity, but also because of their powerful meanings.
In many languages, the word for life begins with V: Vida, Vica, Vita, Viveca, and Vivina are all girls’ names that mean life.
Many V names also mean truth, such as Vera, Verity, Varena, and Viera, while others mean strong and healthy, like Valentina, Valeria, and Valida.
If you’re drawn to the letter V, mama, the long list below should help you to decide whether your baby girl is more of a Vanille or a Vidya.
In this article 📝
- 20 beautiful V girl names and their meanings
- 25 unique baby girl names that start with V
- One or two-syllable girl names that start with a V
- Other baby girl names that start with V
20 beautiful V girl names and their meanings
Here are some of our favorite V names.
- Vaila: A Scottish name, this unusual and quite rare name (even in Scotland) means foreign isle.
- Valentina: A strong and healthy name for your strong and healthy baby girl. This is the feminine form of Valentine, as in Saint Valentine, who of course is also associated with love.
- Valeria: The Spanish spelling for Valerie, which, like Valentina above, also means strong and healthy.
- Valora: A name anyone would want their little girl to live up to, it means courageous.
- Vanille: French for vanilla, Vanille as a name is anything but.
- Vanna: A Cambodian name, Vanna means golden – for your golden girl.
- Vanya: On the up and up in popularity, Vanya means God’s gift in Latin.
- Veda: This powerful Sanskrit name means knowledge or wisdom. The Vedas are the four sacred texts of the Hindus.
- Vela: A Sanskrit name for shore or coast. It’s still quite unusual in the western world.
- Velika: Meaning great or wondrous, Velika is a Slavic name
- Venus: Venus is the Roman goddess of love and beauty. What more could you ask for in a name?
- Vera: After a dip in popularity in the late 20th century, Vera is back on the naming charts. It’s a Slavic name meaning faith or truth.
- Verna: Springtime in Latin.
- Victory: How about this powerful twist on the more traditional Victoria?
- Vida: What better way to celebrate new life than with this simple, elegant name that means life in Spanish.
- Vidya: Meaning knowledge, science and learning in Sanskrit, Vidya is connected to the Hindu goddess Sarasvati, who is believed to purify, empower and uplift.
- Vienna: What about calling your daughter after Vienna, the city in Austria, which is rich in history, culture and music?
- Violeta: Violeta means purple in Latin, much like it’s sister name, Violet, which is also a type of flower.
- Viveca: A vibrant and feminine name, Viveca is Swedish or Nordic and means alive, life and place of refuge.
- Viviana: Meaning alive or lively, this name of Italian origin has maintained its popularity for decades. You can also spell it with a double “n”: Vivianna.
25 unique baby girl names that start with V
The names below are quite uncommon in the US, even for V names.
- Vale: This unusual name, which might refer to a valley, barely registers on US name lists. It would make a truly unique choice.
- Valida: Like Valentina and Valeria, Valida also means strong and healthy.
- Valkyrie: A Scandinavian name, Valkyrie means chooser of the slain. In mythology, Valkyries are responsible for guiding slain heroes into the feasting hall of Valhalla.
- Vallia: A variant of the name Valley.
- Vallonia: Latin for shallow valley.
- Valo: A Finnish name for light.
- Vannda: An Italian name for family or wanderer.
- Varena: This Latin name means true.
- Varenka: This name is related to the name Varvara.
- Vasilia: A name fit for royalty, Vasilia means royal in Greek.
- Vashti: A Persian name meaning lovely.
- Vedis: The Sanskrit word for wisdom.
- Vega: An Arabic name that means swooping eagle. Although popular in Scandinavia and Spain, it’s still rare in the US.
- Velvet: A soft and luxurious name, just like the fabric.
- Verity: Another name that speaks to truth.
- Verly: A British name, Verly refers to a meadow and is related to the name Beverly.
- Vesper: Soft and whispery, Vesper means evening star in Latin.
- Vesta: A Latin name that means pure.
- Vica: A Hungarian name, Vica means life.
- Viera: A Czech and Russian variation of Vera, Viera also means truth.
- Villa: Like the word for a country house, but as a name, Villa has a lovely lilt to it.
- Vinaya: With a beautiful meaning, modest, Vinaya is a standout Sanskrit name.
- Vita: Related to Vida and Vica, Vita also means life.
- Virge: A name meaning maiden for your little maiden.
- Vynette: The Spanish word for vineyard, Vynette combines two unusual letters side by side.
One or two-syllable girl names that start with a V
Sometimes short and snappy names, with just one or two syllables, especially ones starting with a rare letter like V, can have a real impact.
Other baby girl names that start with V
Of course, there are many other V names you might want to consider for your baby girl. Why not mull over one of the following?
Still on the hunt for the perfect baby name? Maybe the following lists will inspire. Happy naming, mama!
359 Girl Names That Start With A
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With B
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
82 Baby Girl Names That Start With F
89 Baby Girl Names that Start with G
111 Baby Girl Names That Start With H
107 Girl Names That Start with I
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
84 Girl Names That Start With K
66 Girl Names That Start With L
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With N
82 Girls Names That Start With O
57 Baby Girl Names That Start With P
20 Baby Girl Names Starting with Q
92 Girl Names That Start With R
58 Girl Names That Start With S
70 Girl Names That Start with T
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With U
80 Baby Girl Names That Start With W
54 Baby Girl Names That Start With X
75 Baby Girl Names that Start with Y
82 Baby Girl Names that Start with Z (and Their Meanings)