Think there are only a handful of girls’ names that start with Z? Think again! We’re here to show you what the last letter of the alphabet is all about.
Top 10 girls’ names that start with Z
These beautiful, bright Z names are sure to make your baby girl (and her name) the talk of the town.
- Zoey: Greek for “life”, Zoey can also be spelled Zoe, Zoë, Zoi or Zoie.
- Zara: An Arabic name that means “radiance”.
- Zia: “Light” or “splendor” in Arabic.
- Zaria: This Slavic name means “princess”. It’s also a variant of the Hebrew name Sarah.
- Zora: In Arabic, Zora means “light” or “dawn”. It can also be spelled Zorah.
- Zahra: Zahra is the Arabic word for “white” or “flower”.
- Zoya: This name, of Russian origin, means “life”.
- Zuri: This Swahili name means “beautiful”.
- Zelda: In Old German, Zelda means “dark battle”.
- Zola: Italian for “lump of earth”.
Arabic and Hebrew girls’ names that start with Z
Using Z as the start of a girls’ name is so common in Arabic and Hebrew that we’ve pooled some options together for you.
- Zaccaria: “The Lord Recalled” in Hebrew. A gender-neutral name.
- Zadie: “Prosperous” or “fortunate” in Arabic. Zada, Zaida and Zayda have the same meaning.
- Zahara: “Flowering” or “shining” in Hebrew.
- Zaharira: “Light” or “splendor” in Hebrew.
- Zahava: “Gilded” in Hebrew.
- Zaheera: “Brilliant” or “shining” in Arabic. Other spellings include Zahira or Zahirah.
- Zakia: “Pure” in Hebrew. Alternative spellings include Zakiah, Zakiya or Zakiyya.
- Zalia: “Born to royalty” in Hebrew.
- Zannie: “Lily” in Hebrew.
- Zariah: “Radiance” in Arabic. Related to the name Zara.
- Zarita: “Princess” in Hebrew.
- Zein: “Fragrant or beautiful plant” in Arabic.
- Zeta: “Olive” in Hebrew.
- Zilla: “Shadow” in Hebrew.
- Zipporah: “Bird” in Hebrew. It can also be spelled with one “p”: Zioporah, or without an “h”: Zipora.
- Ziva: “Radiance” or “light of God” in Hebrew. It can also be spelled with an “h”: Zivah.
- Zohra: “Blossom” in Arabic.
- Zshakira: “Grateful” in Arabic.
- Zuleica: “Brilliant” and “lovely” in Arabic.
- Zulema: “Peace” in Arabic. It can also be spelled Zuleyma.
- Zylia: A name with the same meaning as Zylia.
- Zylpha: “Sprinkling” in Hebrew.
Other cute girls’ names that start with Z
Of course, there are plenty of other options from other parts of the world. Take a look at these French, Greek and Latin alternatives.
- Zabrina: This Celtic name offers a different spelling for Sabrina.
- Zacqueline: A French alternative for Jacqueline.
- Zahna: This name is Greek for “God is gracious”.
- Zailie: A French name that means “solemn”.
- Zandra: This Spanish name is another spelling of Sandra, which is short for Alexandra. It can also be spelled Zanda.
- Zania: A contraction of Tanzania, the country in East Africa.
- Zanita: Like Zahna, this Spanish name means “God is gracious”.
- Zarina: Persian for “golden”. It can also be spelled Zareen.
- Zaynah: Like Zahna and Zanita, this Greek name also means “God is gracious”.
- Zdenka: Of Czech and Latin origin, Zdenka means “woman from Sidon”.
- Zeba: Like Zena, this name is also related to Zeus. It means “life of Zeus” in Greek.
- Zehra: Meaning “flower”, this Arabic name is of Swahili origin.
- Zelene: Of English origin, Zelene means “sunshine”.
- Zelia: An alternative to the name Zaile.
- Zelie: An alternative to Zailie and Zelia.
- Zelima: A name of German origin, Zelima means “helmet of God”.
- Zelina: A girl’s name of Latin and Greek origin meaning “heaven” and “the moon”.
- Zella: This name of Yiddish origin means “happy” or “blessed”.
- Zena: A Greek and Russian name that means “belonging to Zeus”.
- Zenaida: Zenaida has the same meaning as Zena.
- Zenda: Zenda has the same meaning as Zeba.
- Zenia: Greek for “guest” or “stranger”. It can also be spelled Zeenia.
- Zenobia: Zenobia has the same meaning as Zeba and Zenda.
- Zenovia: Zenovia has the same meaning as Zeba, Zenda and Zenobia.
- Zephyr: A unisex name that means the “west wind” in Greek.
- Zerlina: Meaning “beautiful dawn”, this is a Spanish name for girls.
- Zina: Zenia has the same meaning as Zenia.
- Zinnia: A Latin name that refers to “flowers from the Aster family”. An alternative spelling is Zinia.
- Zita: A Greek name for “seeker”.
- Zizi: Zizi has the same meaning as Zsazsa.
- Zlata: Zlata means “golden”, and has Czech and Slavic origins.
- Zoanne: Zoanne is related to Zoe and has the same meaning.
- Zoelie: Another alternative for Zoe.
- Zoelle: Like Zoanne and Zoelie, Zoelle is also related to the name Zoe.
- Zofia: This Greek name means “wisdom” and is related to the name Sophia. It can also be spelled Zophia.
- Zoia: A Russian variant of Zoe.
- Zonia: Zonia is a Latin name for “girdle”.
- Zorana: This Slavic name means “dawn”.
- Zosia: Zosia has the same meaning as Zofia and Zophia.
- Zsazsa: A Hungarian name derived from the Hebrew name Elizabeth, Zsazsa means “God’s promise”.
- Zuwena: This Swahili name means “good”.
- Zuzanna: Related to the Biblical name Soshana, this name means “lily”. It can also be spelled with one “n”: Zuzana.
- Zylina: A Greek name for “woodland” or “wood-dweller”.
- Zylvia: This Latin name means “woods” or “forest”.
- Zyna: Zyna has the same meaning as Zenia and Zina.
- Zyta: Zyta means “seeker” in Greek.
Unique names with a Z for girls
While you’ve probably already come across a few unusual Z names you might not have heard before, here are a handful that are truly unique – and really very pretty.
- Zaviera: This name means “bright”, “splendid” and “new house”. It is of Arabic and Basque origin.
- Zhane: An American name, Zhane means “gift of God”.
- Zolia: This girls’ name is mainly used in Spain and is related to the name Zoe.
- Zorica: This Latin name means “dawn” and is a variant of the Latin name Aurora.
Still looking for options? Check out these amazing lists:
Top Girl Names: The Ultimate List
The 1000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names
The Most Popular Baby Names in 2020 on Peanut
161 Cool Baby Girl Names and Their Meanings
A Long List of Short Baby Girl Names
250 One Syllable Girl Names
21 Girl Names That Start With A
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
58 Girl Names That Start With S