Think there are only a handful of girls’ names that start with Z? Think again!
We’re here to show you what the last letter of the alphabet is all about.
Loving the intriguing sound a dynamo Z-word makes?
There’s something about Z girl names that feel edgy and effortlessly cool – with the right amount of relatability.
We’re talking major Zendaya vibes. ✨
In any case, Z names are pretty badass and unique, covering goddesses to America’s first flapper.
Considering your search for your head-turning, door-opening, ground-breaking baby name over.
In this article: 📝
- What are popular names that start with Z?
- What are unique names that start with Z?
- What is the prettiest girl name that starts with Z?
- What are Arabic and Hebrew girls’ names that start with Z?
- What are cute girl names that start with Z?
What are popular names that start with Z?
These 10 beautiful, bright Z girl names are sure to make your newest addition the talk of the town:
- Zoey: Greek for “life”, Zoey can also be spelled Zoe, Zoë, Zoi or Zoie.
- Zara: An Arabic name that means “radiance”. 🌟
- Zia: Meaning “light” or “splendor” in Arabic.
- Zaria: This Slavic name means “princess”. It’s also a variant of the Hebrew name Sarah. 👸🏽
- Zora: In Arabic, Zora means “light” or “dawn”. It can also be spelled Zorah.
- Zahra: Zahra is the Arabic word for “white” or “flower”.
- Zoya: This name, of Russian origin, means “life”.
- Zuri: This Swahili name means “beautiful”.
- Zelda: In Old German, Zelda means “dark battle”. And nintendo superfans aside, Zelda was the name of F Scott Fitzgearlds inspiring wife who he dubbed the first American flapper. How’s that for an iconic Z name?
- Zola: Italian for “lump of earth”.
What are unique names that start with Z?
Girl Z names are already pretty exclusive bunch, but there’s plenty of unusual choices to be found.
If you want a truly distinguishing title for your daughter, how about:
- Zahava: Gold names are in and they’re going nowhere fast. This is a standout Z name that means “gilded” in Hebrew. ⚜️
- Zdenka: Of Czech and Latin origin, Zdenka means “woman from Sidon”.
- Zeba: Like Zena, this name is also related to Zeus. It means “life of Zeus” in Greek. ⚡️
- Zaviera: This name means “bright”, “splendid” and “new house”. It is of Arabic and Basque origin.
- Zhane: An American name, Zhane means “gift from God”.
- Zolia: Meaning “lump of earth”. This girls’ name is mainly used in Spain and is related to the name Zoe.
- Zorica: This Latin name means “dawn” and is a variant of Aurora. That’s one way of sneaking in your Disney princess name…
- Zofia: Related to the Greek Sophia, this name means “wisdom”.
- Zamora: Meaning wild olive” or “praised”.
- Zaïre: Meaning “the river that swallows all rivers”. Originally a boy’s African name, we think it makes a bold choice for a future trailblazer – no matter their gender.
What is the prettiest girl name that starts with Z?
There’s something about the way a Z name flows.
Z girl names have a comfortable ease and an unsual beauty that’s hard to resist.
Just look at these rare jewels:
- Zendaya: We couldn’t not but this Z name trailblazer in the running. Zimbabwe in origin, it means “give thanks”.
- Zalia: “Born to royalty” in Hebrew. 👑
- Zelie: A short form of the French name Azélie which means “noble type”.
- Zabrina: Meaning “legendary princess”, this Celtic name offers a different spelling for Sabrina.
- Zehari: Meaning brilliantly” or “gold”.
- Zaynab: Meaning “a fragrant flower”. Related to the Muslin name Zainab, known best as the eldest daughter of Muhammad.
- Zerlina: Meaning “beautiful dawn”. Spanish in origin.
- Zenda: Meaning “sacred”, “soul”, or “life”.
- Zelina: A girl’s name of Latin and Greek origin meaning “heaven” and “the moon”. 🌙
- Ziska: Meaning “free”. In Yiddish, Ziska also means “little sweet one”.
What are Arabic and Hebrew girls’ names that start with Z?
Using Z as the start of a girls’ name is so common in Arabic and Hebrew that we’ve pooled some options together for you.
- Zaccaria: Meaning “the Lord Recalled” in Hebrew. A gender-neutral name.
- Zadie: Meaning “prosperous” or “fortunate” in Arabic. Zada, Zaida, and Zayda have the same meaning.
- Zahara: Meaning “flowering” or “shining” in Hebrew.
- Zaharira: Meaning “light” or “splendor” in Hebrew.
- Zaheera: Meaning “brilliant” or “shining” in Arabic. Other spellings include Zahira or Zahirah.
- Zakia: Meaning “pure” in Hebrew. Alternative spellings include Zakiah, Zakiya, or Zakiyya.
- Zannie: Meaning “lily” in Hebrew.
- Zariah: Meaning “radiance” in Arabic. Related to the name Zara.
- Zarita: Meaning “princess” in Hebrew.
- Zein: Meaning “fragrant or beautiful plant” in Arabic.
- Zeta: Meaning “olive” in Hebrew.
- Zilla: Meaning “shadow” in Hebrew.
- Zipporah: Meaning “bird” in Hebrew. It can also be spelled with one “p”: Zioporah, or without an “h”: Zipora. 🦚
- Ziva: Meaning “radiance” or “light of God” in Hebrew. It can also be spelled with an “h”: Zivah.
- Zohra: Meaning “blossom” in Arabic. 🌸
- Zshakira: Meaning “grateful” in Arabic.
- Zuleica: Meaning “brilliant” and “lovely” in Arabic.
- Zulema: Meaning “peace” in Arabic. It can also be spelled Zuleyma.
- Zylia: Meaning “shadow”.
- Zylpha: Meaning “sprinkling” in Hebrew.
What are cute girl names that start with Z?
Of course, there are plenty of other z girl names options from other parts of the world.
Take a look at these French, Greek and Latin alternatives:
- Zacqueline: A French alternative for Jacqueline meaning “supplanter”.
- Zahna: This name is Greek for “God is gracious”.
- Zailie: A French name that means “solemn”.
- Zandra: This Spanish name is another spelling of Sandra, short for Alexandra. It means “protector of humanity”. 🛡
- Zania: Meaning “sail in the wilderness”. A contraction of the East African country of Tanzania.
- Zanita: This Spanish name means “God is gracious”.
- Zarina: Persian for “golden”. It can also be spelled Zareen.
- Zaynah: Like Zahna and Zanita, this Greek name also means “God is gracious”.
- Zehra: Meaning “flower”, this Arabic name is of Swahili origin.
- Zelene: Of English origin, Zelene means “sunshine”. ☀️
- Zelia: Meaning “zealous”.
- Zelima: A name of German origin, Zelima means “helmet of God”.
- Zella: This name of Yiddish origin means “happy” or “blessed”.
- Zena: A Greek and Russian name that means “belonging to Zeus”.
- Zenaida: Meaning “life of Zeus”.
- Zenia: Greek for “guest” or “stranger”. It can also be spelled Zeenia.
- Zenobia or Zenovia: Meaning “life of Zeus”.
- Zephyr: A unisex name that means the “west wind” in Greek. 🌬
- Zina: Meaning “welcoming” or “hospitable”.
- Zinnia or Zinia: A Latin name that refers to “flowers from the Aster family”.
- Zita: From the Italian word zitta meaning “little girl”. Zita’s strong Greek origin reveal the badass meaning of “hunter”. Looks can be deceiving with this one.
- Zizi: Meaning “God is my oath”.
- Zlata: Zlata means “golden”, and has Czech and Slavic origins.
- Zoanne: Meaning “life”. Related to Zoe.
- Zoelie or Zoelle: Another alternative for Zoe which means “life”.
- Zoia: Meaning “alive”.
- Zonia: Zonia is a Latin name for “girdle”.
- Zorana: This Slavic name means “dawn”.
- Zosia: Meaning “wisdom”.
- Zsazsa: A Hungarian name derived from the Hebrew name Elizabeth, Zsazsa means “God’s promise”.
- Zuwena: This Swahili name means “good”.
- Zuzanna: Related to the Biblical name Soshana, this name means “lily”. It can also be spelled with one “n”: Zuzana.
- Zylina: A Greek name for “woodland” or “wood-dweller”. 🏕
- Zylvia: This Latin tree name means “woods” or “forest”. 🌳🌳🌳
- Zyna: Meaning “guest” or “stranger”.
- Zyta: Zyta means “seeker” in Greek.
Still looking for options?
The Peanut community know a thing or two about quality baby names.
And if there’s other letters that take your fancy, we’ve got plenty more girl baby name lists to cover X, Y, and V.