You’ve done it, mama. You’ve created a whole new life. And before you know it, you’ll be holding this young life in your arms. If you’re looking for a way to honor this incredible journey, why not choose one of the many exquisite baby names that mean life?
There’s something life-affirming about naming your little one after life itself, and there are countless options available to you.
Names that mean life are common in all four corners of the world, and our list includes names from Cambodia, South Africa, Turkey, and Tibet.
In some instances, the names don’t just mean life, but words related to it, such as dawn, new beginning, soul or resurrection. We’ve pointed these out.
Right. Ready to dive in? Let’s go.
In this article: 📝
- What name means gift of life?
- Girl names that mean life
- Boy names that mean life
- What name means life in Latin?
What name means gift of life?
From the lyrical Abella to the snazzy Aizza, from the super-short Bo to the longer Avabelle, these are our Top 20 favorite names that pay homage to life.
- Abella: This lilting name has its origins in both French and Hebrew. It’s a girls’ name that refers to the breath that is the source of life
- Adamo: A Hebrew name for boys, Adamo means “first life.”
- Aizza: Names with z’s always sound snappy and snazzy. Aizza is a girls’ name that means “life” in Hebrew.
- Apela: A Hawaiian boys’ name, Apela means “breath of life.”
- Avabelle: Avabelle, or Avabella, means “breathing in life” or “one who has a beautiful life.”
- Bo: We love this monosyllabic Old Norse nickname for boys and girls. It means “to live.”
- Calian: Calian is a Native American name for boys that means “life warrior.”
- Daxon: Daxon is a French name for a life-giving drink. Consider naming your little boy after this elixir.
- Ettan: This Indian boys’ name means “breath of life.”
- Ha: Ha is a Vietnamese girls’ name that refers to the kiss of life.
- Hale: This strong boys’ name is English originally and means “healthy in life.”
- Hava: This Hebrew name, for boys, means “breathing,” “alive” or “living.”
- Haya: Another Hebrew name for girls, Haya means “alive.”
- Hayat: Meaning “life” in Arabic, Persian, and Urdu
- Juro: Juro is a Japanese name for boys. It means “longevity of life.”
- Liv: Many will associate this simple, elegant Nordic girls’ name with the actress Liv Tyler.
- Nyssa: This Greek girls’ name means “new beginning.”
- Omri: Another Hebrew name, Omri means both “life” and “servant.”
- Tshering: Meaning “long life” in Tibetan and Bhutanese languages
- Vian: An English name, Vian means “full of life.”
Girl names that mean life
If you’re having a girl, you might want to choose a chic and contemporary-sounding name like Eva or Lina, or a less common name, like Eiji or Luljeta.
- Aisha: Meaning “life” in Arabic
- Alba: Meaning “dawn” or “new life” in Spanish and Italian
- Anastasia: Meaning “resurrection” or “new life” in Russian
- Aoife: Meaning “one who gives life” in Irish
- Asha: Meaning “life” in Swahili
- Ausra: Meaning “dawn” or “new life” in Lithuanian
- Ayelet: Meaning “dawn” or “new life” in Hebrew
- Ava: Meaning “life” in German
- Bibiana: Meaning “alive” in Greek
- Bophelo: Meaning “life” from its Sesotho origins
- Cansu: Meaning “water of life” in Turkish
- Chae-Won: Meaning “beginning” in Korean
- Chivy: Meaning “life” from its Cambodian roots
- Dawn: Meaning “dawn” in English
- Eloma: Meaning “life” in Finnish
- Enid: Meaning “soul” or “life” in Welsh
- Eshe: Meaning “life” in an Egyptian language
- Eva: Meaning “life” in Italian
- Evalyn: Meaning “living one” from its Hebrew roots
- Evette: Meaning “life” in French
- Hisa: Meaning “a person with long-lasting life” in Japanese
- Hiwot: Meaning “life” in Amharic
- Kia: Meaning “new beginnings” or “season’s beginning,” it’s a name of African origins.
- Kiena: Meaning “prosperous life” in Japanese
- Langhuie: Meaning “long life” from its English roots
- Lizette: Meaning “life” in Hebrew
- Luljeta: Meaning “flower of life” in Albanian
- Noema: Meaning “new moon” in Greek
- Nurcan: Meaning “bright soul” or “light of life” in Turkish
- Renata: Meaning “reborn” in Spanish
- Renee: Meaning “reborn” in French
- Wahuj: Meaning “new beginning” in Arabic
- Zera: Meaning “new beginning” in Hebrew
- Ziva: Meaning “full of life” in Hebrew
- Zoe: Meaning “life” in Greek
Boy names that mean life
Adem, Bion, Caner, Chiva, Suly and Phoenix — these boys’ names all mean life, or variations of it.
- Achaz: Meaning “God’s way of life” in Hebrew
- Adem: Meaning “brave life” in Hebrew
- Anastasius: Meaning “rebirth” or “resurrection” in Greek
- Antarbhuti: Meaning “life” or “soul” from its Indian roots
- Ankur: Meaning “new life” in Hindi
- Asher: Meaning “happy life” in Hebrew
- Beathan: Meaning “life” in Gaelic
- Bion: Meaning “life” from its Ancient Greek roots
- Bindhas: Meaning “enjoy life” from its Indian origins
- Can: Meaning “life” or “soul” in Turkish
- Caner: Meaning “brave man’s life” in Turkish
- Chai: Meaning “life” in Hebrew
- Chaim: Meaning “life” in Hebrew
- Chiva: Meaning “life” from its Cambodian roots
- Dagian: Meaning “dawn” from its English origins
- Ercan: Meaning “brave man’s life” in Turkish
- Fajr: Meaning “dawn” or “new life” in Arabic
- Genesis: Meaning “life,” this name refers to the first book of the Christian bible.
- Haim: Meaning “life” in Hebrew
- Inizio: Meaning “new beginning” in Italian
- Jan: Meaning “life” or “soul” from its Indian roots
- Phoenix: A legendary bird that rose from the ashes
- Sulya: Meaning “breath of life” from its Indian origins
- Sura Oighrig: Meaning “new life” from Native American roots
- Umar: Meaning “life” in Arabic and Urdu
- Vidal: Meaning “life” from its Spanish roots
- Vihaan: Meaning “beginning of an era” in Sanskrit
- Vitale: Meaning of “life” or “vital” in Italian
- Yeong-Su: Meaning “long life” in Korean
- Zoticus: Meaning “full of life” in Ancient Greek
What name means life in Latin?
Because so many names have Latin roots, here are some of our favorite names that mean life in Latin:
- Eba: Eba means “life” in Hebrew and is also the Latin form of Eve. It’s a girls’ name.
- Aurora: Meaning “dawn” or “new life,” this name is filled with possibility.
- Janus: Meaning “the first month of the year,” as it was referred to in Ancient Rome
- Jilian: Meaning “enjoys youthful life” from its Latin roots
- Oriella: This Latin name means “full of life.”
- Vida: “Life” 🌱
- Vita: “Life” 🌱
- Vitu: “Life” 🌱
Looking for more inspiration? Head over to our other lists:
50 Tree Baby Names For Your Little Sapling
90 Sunny Summer Baby Names With Meanings
64 Baby Names That Mean Ice
67 Baby Names That Mean Ocean
86 Blossoming Spring Baby Names
50 Baby Names That Mean Fire
47 Baby Names that Mean Moon
86 Baby Names Meaning Sun
55 Baby Names That Mean Earth
56 Harmonious Baby Names That Mean Balance
101 Brilliant Baby Names That Mean Light
68 Dreamy Baby Names That Mean Snow
267 Heavenly Baby Names That Mean Star
80 Radiant Baby Names That Mean Rainbow
79 Refreshing Baby Names That Mean Rain
30 Unique Hippie Baby Names & Meanings
40 Nautical Baby Names for Adventurous Boys & Girls
55 Everlasting Baby Names That Mean Time
50 Kind-Hearted Baby Names That Mean Mercy
50 Enlightening Baby Names That Mean Smart
68 Breezy Baby Names That Mean Wind