Looking for names to light the way? We’ve got you covered. Baby names that mean light can be a guiding force for your little one as they move through the world.
From the gentle first light of the morning, to the dazzle of the midday sun, there are so many options when it comes to finding your light.
Ready to dive in? These are our favorite names meaning light.
In this article: 📝
- Baby names that mean light
- Boy names that mean light
- Girl names that mean light
- Boys’ names meaning bright
- Girls’ names meaning bright
Baby names that mean light
What name means Goddess of light?
- Thea. From the Greek goddess of light, Theia, this divine name is a timeless classic.
What name means Child of light?
- Margot. With its Greek and Persian origins, Margot means “child of light.”
What names mean bringer of light?
- Heylel. This Hebrew boys’ name means “light-bringer.” Heads up, though — it’s the name of the morning star, who is Lucifer.
Ready to explore further afield? We’ll light the way.
Boy names that mean light
Warning: sparks may fly.
- Aaron. As well as “high mountain,” this Hebrew baby boy’s name means “enlightened.”
- Abner. Of Hebrew origin, Abner means “father of light.”
- Anwar. This Arabic name means “shafts of light.”
- Apollo. This ancient Greek god of music and poetry has come to be paired with the sun and light. ☀️
- Barack. A name of both Hebrew and Swahili origin, Barack means both “lightning” and “blessing.” ⚡⚡
- Beacon. A guide to light the way.
- Bodhi. “Enlightenment” or “awakening”
- Chand. This Sanskrit baby name shines at night. It refers to the moon. 🌙
- Dritan. A name of Swiss origin, Dritan simply means “light.”
- Elior. “My God is my light.”
- Epifanio. From its Spanish and Greek roots, Epifanio means “bringing light.”
- Faro. “Lighthouse”
- Gilbert. “Shining promise”
- Harbin. With its Old German and French roots, this name means “little bright warrior.”
- Hikaru. This Japanese name means “radiance” and “light.”
- Jomei. Of Japanese origin, Jomei means “to spread light.”
- Kiran. “Ray of light”
- Lior. This Hebrew name means “my light.”
- Lito. Simply “light.”
- Lucas. Of Latin origin, Lucas means “bringer of light.”
- Lucian. From the same Latin roots, Lucian also means “light.” An alternative spelling is Lucien.
- Luciano. This is the Italian form and means “light” or “illumination.”
- Lucius. An old Roman clan name, Lucius means “light.”
- Meir. “Bringer of light.” Meyer is another way to spell this Hebrew name.
- Ner. This name is sweet and short and means “candle” or “light.”
- Nuri. With its Arabic roots, Nuri means “my light.”
- Oran. Having both Gaelic and Aramaic roots, Oran means “light.”
- Pradeep. This name has Hindi roots and means “candle” or “light.”
- Raiden. A name of Japanese origin, Raiden means “lightning.” ⚡⚡
- Siraj. This Arabic name means “lamp” or “light.”
- Uri. “My light” or “my flame”
- Uriah. “God is my light.”
- Uriel. With its Hebrew roots, Uriel means “God is my light.”
111 women are talking about 'baby names' on Peanut. Download the app to join the conversation.
Girl names that mean light
Hoping for a light bulb moment? Try these:
- Alina. From its Slavic origins, Alina means “bright.” From its Greek origins, Alina means “light.” Illuminating either way!
- Alora. “The Lord is my Light”
- Ayla. From its Turkish origins, Ayla refers to the halo of light around the moon.
- Aonani. This Hawaiian name means “beautiful light.”
- Cassandra. The name of the mythic Trojan princess, Cassandra means “to shine” or “to excel.”
- Ciana. From Italian and Hebrew origins, Ciana either means “light” or “God is gracious.”
- Danica. “Morning star”
- Dawn. We don’t have to tell you about the beauty of this kind of light.
- Eliora. “God is my light.”
- Ellen. An English form of the Greek Helene, Ellen means “light.”
- Helen. With the same Greek origins, Helen means “light” or “bright.”
- Helena. “Shining light”
- Illene. This name has Scottish roots and means “bright, shining light.”
- Ilona. “Shining light”
- Kiara. From its Italian roots, Kiara means “light.” Interestingly, as a variation of the Irish Ciara, it means “dark.” Best of both worlds?
- Leora. “I have light.”
- Luciana. “Light” or “illumination”
- Lucille. “Light”
- Lucy. This ever-popular name is the feminine form of Lucius, meaning “light.”
- Luz. “Light”
- Lux. With its luxurious sound, Lux is the Latin word for “light.”
- Mahina. This charming Hawaiian name means “moonlight.” 🌙
- Meira. “Bringer of light”
- Nell. “Shining light”
- Nora. From both its French and Arabic roots, Nora means “light.” From its Latin roots, it means “honor.”
- Nura. “Light”
- Oralee. This name has Hebrew roots and means “my light.”
- Olenna. “Shining light”
- Solana. “Sunshine” ☀️
- Sunny. Nuff said. ☀️
- Svetlana. This popular Slavic name means “light,” “shining,” and “luminescent.” It can also mean “pure” and “blessed.”
- Zia. From its Arabic roots, Zia means “light.”
Boys’ names meaning bright
And here are some options for your little bright spark.
- Akiro. This popular Japanese name means “bright boy.”
- Albert. A name of Old German origin, Albert means “bright,” “noble,” and “famous.”
- Albus. With its Latin roots, Albus means “bright” and “white.”
- Ambert. “Bright, shining light”
- Brighton. If you’d like to pay homage to the holiday destination in England of the same name, this might be a great choice. It means “bright town.”
- Callahan. From Gaelic roots, Callahan means “bright headed.”
- Fynn. “Bright” and “fair”
- Hobbes. A real hit with Bill Watterson fans, Hobbes means “bright fame.”
- Robert. From Old German, this popular name also means “bright fame.”
- Robin. This one also means “bright fame.” It can work as a short form of Robert, or on its own.
- Rupert. With the same roots as Robert, Rupert also means “bright fame.”
- Xavier. From its Arabic roots, Xavier means both “bright” and “new house.” 🏠
104 women are talking about 'baby names' on Peanut. Download the app to join the conversation.
Girls’ names meaning bright
And how about one of these radiant options?
- Aileen. “Bright, shining light”
- Áine. This beautiful Irish name means “radiance.”
- Akiko. With its Japanese origins, Akiko means “bright child.”
- Alina. This one has Slavic roots and means “bright and beautiful.”
- Avira. “Bright”
- Bertha. From its Germanic roots, Bertha means “bright one.”
- Chiara. “Bright” and “luminous”
- Claire. This popular French name means “clear and bright.”
- Clara. From its Latin roots, Clara means “clear and bright.”
- Clarabelle. This one has the same origins and means “clear and bright.”
- Clarissa. Yep, this one stems from the same source. It, too, means “clear and bright.”
- Elaine. “Shining light”
- Electra. “Radiant”
- Elena. “Shining light”
- Ellie. This cute shortened form also means “shining light.”
- Ilka. From its Hungarian roots, Ilka means “bright, shining one.”
- Niamh. This Old Irish name means “bright” or “radiant.” It is often Anglicized to Neve.
- Phaedra. The name of a mythological ancient Greek princess, Phaedra means “bright.”
- Phoebe. From its ancient Greek roots, this classic name means “bright.”
- Senna. “Brightness”
- Ziva. This Hebrew name can mean “radiance,” “brilliance,” or “light of God.”
And if you’re looking for some more inspiration, why not head over to other lists:
47 Baby Names that Mean Moon
80 Charming Prince Baby Names
64 Baby Names That Mean Ice
Top 49 Names That Mean Angel
93 Baby Names That Mean Life
98 Perfect Princess Baby Names With Meanings
68 Dreamy Baby Names That Mean Snow
55 Baby Names That Mean Earth
100+ Baby Names That Mean Peace
80 Radiant Baby Names That Mean Rainbow
267 Heavenly Baby Names That Mean Star
30 Majestic Royal Baby Names and Their Meanings
58 Baby Names That Mean Hope
86 Blossoming Spring Baby Names
70 Enchanting Baby Names That Mean Night
86 Baby Names that Mean Gift from God
126 Mighty Baby Names That Mean Warrior
41 Baby Names That Mean King for Your Newest VIP
73 Charming Baby Names that Mean Lucky
79 Refreshing Baby Names That Mean Rain
56 Harmonious Baby Names That Mean Balance
77 Baby Names that Mean Leader
40 Nautical Baby Names for Adventurous Boys & Girls
55 Everlasting Baby Names That Mean Time
50 Kind-Hearted Baby Names That Mean Mercy
50 Enlightening Baby Names That Mean Smart
68 Breezy Baby Names That Mean Wind