Can pregnant women eat lobster? Yes, you can! Just make sure it’s sourced from a place you trust – and that it’s cooked through – before eating.
There’s always a lot of hype about what pregnant women can and can’t eat. And we know that navigating all of those rules and (often unwelcome) advice can be pretty tricky. But we’re here to help you out.
So, is it safe to eat lobster while pregnant? Let’s take a look.
In this article: 📝
- Let’s talk seafood while pregnant
- Is it safe to eat lobster while pregnant?
- How often can you eat lobster while pregnant?
- Can I eat Red Lobster while pregnant?
- Can pregnant women eat lobster? Final thoughts
Let’s talk seafood while pregnant
In all the chat about the foods pregnant women should avoid, the problem of seafood tends to come out on top. Lots of mamas-to-be will avoid it completely (and if that works for you, then great!).
But the truth is that you don’t have to go that far. Instead, there is a lot of seafood you can eat while pregnant that is actually positively good for you and your baby. And that includes lobster.
Generally, there are two potential issues with seafood:
- Some of it contains lots of mercury. And in large quantities, that’s not good for you or baby. The bigger the fish, the bigger the concentration of mercury.
- If undercooked, it can contain nasty bacteria – particularly when not very fresh. Since your immune system could be all out of whack during pregnancy anyway, it’s best to cook everything thoroughly to avoid becoming sick.
So, when talking seafood, in the avoid pile while pregnant are:
- Raw fish – and that includes lobster.
- Fish high in mercury – like marlin, shark, or swordfish.
Foods that you should probably limit are:
- Oily fish. Doctors say keep salmon, mackerel, or trout to two portions a week.
- Tuna. No more than 140 grams a week of tuna is recommended. Find out more about eating tuna when pregnant here.
Meanwhile, seafood you can enjoy to your heart’s content are:
- Cooked shellfish – that includes lobster.
- Any other cooked, smoked, or frozen fish not mentioned above.
Is it safe to eat lobster while pregnant?
So, yes, it is perfectly safe to lobster while pregnant. It is reasonably low in mercury – though not as low as other seafoods like scallops, shrimp, and oysters – and, as long as it is cooked well, there shouldn’t be anything that will upset your tummy.
Can pregnant women eat lobster tail? Yep, you can eat the tail, the claws, and any other lobster meat. But you should avoid the tomalley, a soft green substance you might find in the lobster’s body, as it can contain toxins.
That being said, if you’re pregnant, eating lobster should be done with caution. If you’re cooking it yourself, cook it through. But if you’re in a restaurant you’ve never tried or don’t fully trust, maybe lobster is not the dish to pick.
How often can you eat lobster while pregnant?
You can eat lobster as often as you want when pregnant. In fact, the CDC encourages pregnant women to eat seafood – simply because it is really good for you.
As long as you go for low-mercury options, seafood is a great source of protein, and an excellent source of omega-3 fats, vitamins like vitamin B12 and D, and iron – which is especially important for pregnant women.
Can I eat Red Lobster while pregnant?
Yep, you can! The usual seafood rules apply when you’re ordering at Red Lobster – choose low mercury seafood, and make sure it is well cooked. And if you want to order the lobster at Red Lobster, go for it!
Can pregnant women eat lobster? Final thoughts
So, can you eat lobster while pregnant? Yes you can. It should even be encouraged! But if you would prefer to avoid it completely, that’s fine too!
More on pregnancy foods:
Can You Drink Coffee While Pregnant?
Can You Take Probiotics While Pregnant?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Shrimp?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Salmon?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Hot Dogs?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Honey?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Crab?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Tuna?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Sushi?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Crawfish?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Pork?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Cream Cheese?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Pepperoni?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Deli Meat?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Grapes?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Pineapple?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Ceviche?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Mushrooms?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Popcorn?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Calamari?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Feta Cheese?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Salami?
Can Pregnant Women Eat Bacon?
Can You Drink Wine While Pregnant?
Is Orange Juice Good for Pregnancy?
Can You Drink Green Tea While Pregnant?
Can You Drink Chamomile Tea While Pregnant?
Can You Eat Cheesecake When Pregnant?
Can You Eat Goat’s Cheese When Pregnant?
Can You Eat Mozzarella When Pregnant?
Is Oatmeal Good for Pregnancy?