If you get motion sickness, you’re probably already familiar with Dramamine. It’s a brand-name version of the antihistamine dimenhydrinate. And it’s a safe and effective way to stave off nausea when you’re traveling.
During pregnancy, there’s a strong chance that you’ll experience pregnancy nausea and/or find that your usual motion sickness is worse.
So can you take Dramamine while pregnant to help ease those symptoms?
In this article: 📝
- Can pregnant women take Dramamine?
- Can you take motion sickness pills while pregnant?
- What about Dramamine for morning sickness?
- What can I take for nausea while pregnant?
Can pregnant women take Dramamine?
Is Dramamine safe for pregnancy? Generally, it is considered safe for pregnant women to take Dramamine, but it’s always best to check in with your doctor first.
Dimenhydrinate (the active ingredient in Dramamine) is what’s known as a class B medication in pregnancy.
This means that we don’t have proof that taking it is completely risk-free, but animal trials haven’t shown any negative effects either – for the mama or the baby.
It’s the same category that acetaminophen (AKA Tylenol or paracetamol) falls into.
There are still a couple of reasons why it’s best to check with your doctor or pharmacist first:
- While the basic formulation of Dramamine is fine, the same company makes other products with extra ingredients which aren’t safe during pregnancy. Your healthcare team can make sure you avoid those.
- Although Dramamine isn’t considered a drug to avoid during pregnancy, it isn’t recommended if you have blood pressure or thyroid problems. These are fairly common pregnancy complications, so it’s best to double-check before you take the medication.
Can you take motion sickness pills while pregnant?
Whether you’ve always taken motion sickness pills before a long journey, or pregnancy is giving you motion sickness for the first time, you can take Dramamine to help you get through a journey.
A lot of women notice that they get worse motion sickness during pregnancy.
Your stomach is more sensitive than usual, you might be more prone to dizziness or low blood pressure, and it’s not as easy to find a comfortable position in a car seat as it is on your couch.
Just remember – while Dramamine is an option, not all motion sickness remedies are safe to take during pregnancy.
For example, the active ingredient hyoscine hydrobromide (in Kwells and Joyrides) is not safe to take during pregnancy, and cinnarizine (the active ingredient in Stugeron) is also out.
What about Dramamine for morning sickness?
If you have pregnancy sickness rather than travel sickness, talk to your doctor about what to do – especially if the nausea goes on all day or if it’s disrupting your usual routine. You don’t just have to suffer through it, mama.
The first recommendation is usually to eat smaller, more regular meals, stay hydrated, reduce the amount of fat that you’re eating, and keep some plain snacks to hand at all times.
But if changing your diet doesn’t help, there are medications you can try.
Your doctor might recommend Dramamine, or other treatments might be a better fit for you.
What can I take for nausea while pregnant?
Some mamas-to-be would rather avoid medications for nausea – whether that’s pregnancy sickness or motion sickness.
If this is you, there are lots of natural remedies you can try:
- Ginger – either in foods like ginger cookies, in gum, or as candied ginger.
- Peppermint – in tea, in breath mints, or as a few drops of essential oil that you breathe in from a cloth or diffuser.
- Fresh air – sometimes just opening the windows or breaking up a long journey can be enough to keep nausea at bay.
- Acupressure – there’s a pressure point in your wrist that can relieve nausea. Sea-Bands and other travel bracelets are designed with this in mind.
💡 More from The 411:
Can You Take Zofran While Pregnant?
Can You Take Colace While Pregnant?
Can You Take Antibiotics While Pregnant?
Can You Take Sudafed While Pregnant?
Can You Take Probiotics While Pregnant?
When Does Morning Sickness Start?
When Does Morning Sickness End?
Pregnancy Nausea at Night: Treatments & Causes
Can You Have Cough Drops While Pregnant?
Can You Take Adderall While Pregnant?
Can You Take Melatonin While Pregnant?
Can You Take TUMS While Pregnant?
Can You Take Tylenol While Pregnant?
Can You Take Advil While Pregnant?
Sinus Infection While Pregnant: What to Know
Can You Take Allergy Medicine While Pregnant?
Can You Take Paracetamol When Pregnant?
Can You Take Benadryl While Pregnant?
Can You Take Imodium While Pregnant?
Can You Use Vicks While Pregnant?
Can You Take Alka-Seltzer While Pregnant?
Can You Take Amoxicillin While Pregnant?
Can You Take Claritin While Pregnant?
Can You Take Excedrin While Pregnant?
Can You Take Unisom While Pregnant?
Can You Take Azo While Pregnant?
Can You Take Pepcid While Pregnant?