The benefits of meditation have been well-known for centuries, from reducing blood pressure to lowering stress – but what about fertility meditation? If you’re struggling to conceive, you may benefit from a guided meditation for fertility.
In this article: 📝
- Understanding meditation – how does it work?
- Does meditation increase fertility?
- How can I boost my fertility to get pregnant?
- Above all, be patient
- Find your flow with other moms at Peanut
Understanding meditation – how does it work?
Meditation is an ancient practice that was originally used to help us find a deeper connection with our spirituality. Today, many Westerners practice meditation to relieve stress and anxiety, switching off from the world and focusing on what matters.
Like any skill, meditation must be learned. There are no rights and wrongs, but you can improve your meditations with time. The concept is simple: to sit in silence with no distractions, and clear your mind. This in itself is pretty alien to many people, as we’re often suffering with a thousand racing thoughts a minute.
This is where ‘mindfulness’ comes in. Mindfulness is simply the practice of being in the moment – not fixating on the past, or worrying about the future. Mindfulness lets us appreciate where we are, what we’re doing, and what’s going on around us right now. It invites us to use many senses at once, for example:
- Sat in silence, we may listen to the birds singing.
- We may notice what’s in front of us, or close our eyes and picture a calm image in our heads.
- We may appreciate smells drifting in, from wet grass to baking bread.
- We may feel our fingertips or control our breathing and understand our posture better.
In this state, we’re not worrying about any other time but right now. This can help to relieve stress.
If you’re trying meditation for conception, you may come across the term ‘chakra.’ This is a Sanskrit term meaning ‘wheel’ and refers to the energy centers in the body. Each chakra corresponds with a particular nerve center or organ. While there are 114 in total, we tend to focus on the seven main chakras during meditation.
Which chakra is related to fertility?
The seven main chakras are the:
- Crown (top of head)
- Third eye (between the eyes)
- Solar plexus
- Sacral (tummy)
- Root (base of belly button)
The sacral chakra is related to our fertility, creativity, and sensuality. If this chakra is ‘blocked’, you may notice physical or emotional effects. The goal of meditation is to unblock these chakras, freeing you from stress and allowing your body to flourish – including conceiving a child.
Does meditation increase fertility?
The reason that many men and women turn to meditation to help fertility is because it reduces stress. The effects of stress can harm the entire body, including sperm quality and menstrual cycles.
By meditating, we can bring down our levels of the stress hormone cortisol, helping to redress the balance and let our body heal itself. While this can help us improve our wellbeing generally, there is also science to support it:
- Meditation helps to release the DHEA hormone, a sex hormone produced by the adrenal glands that prolongs the life of eggs in women.
- Meditation also helps to release oxytocin, commonly considered the ‘love hormone’, helping couples to bond and conceive naturally.
How can I boost my fertility to get pregnant?
There are many meditative techniques to encourage your ability to conceive naturally.
Mindfulness techniques for fertility
You can practice mindfulness to improve your fertility, sitting still and taking note of every process in your body while banishing negative thoughts. This is ideal for stress reduction and rebalancing those blocked chakras or negative hormones.
Visualizations for fertility
If you’re a believer in the law of attraction, then you might want to try visualizations. Picturing yourself pregnant or holding a child can help you manifest what you want into existence.
Mantras for fertility
In addition to visualizations, mantras can help you to get in the positive frame of mind for conception. Rather than ‘wanting’ the baby, try ‘welcoming’ the baby instead, using keywords such as ‘fertility’ as you tell yourself this is what you will have.
Does fertility yoga help to get pregnant?
While meditation encourages sitting still, you can also use yoga flows to unblock chakras. In particular, to free a blocked sacral chakra, you should consider poses such as the Bridge Pose, Pigeon Pose or Lizard Pose.
- Bridge Pose: Lie on your back with your knees bent, hip-width apart, and lift your hips towards the ceiling. Clench your buttocks and keep your weight in the upper half of your body.
- Pigeon Pose: Get onto all fours and bring your right knee out towards your right wrist. Gently lower the leg to the floor at a 90° angle and scissor your hips together.
- Lizard Pose: Get yourself into a lunge position, then lay your back leg flat on the floor. Bring the front bent knee up close to your shoulder, so that you have your foot grounded with a bent knee, while the other is flat on the floor.
All three of these help to strengthen your pelvic floor and open up your hips, freeing positive energy to your reproductive organs.
If you’re new to any of these techniques, you can try a fertility meditation app such as Expectful or Headspace. You may also want to integrate this with a period tracker app to better understand your cycle.
Above all, be patient
Remember, contrary to what you might see in soap operas, it’s not that easy to conceive a child! Even the youngest couples can wait up to a year before getting pregnant. What’s important is not to put too much stress on yourself and let nature take its course.
Find your flow with other moms at Peanut
We get it, trying to conceive can be stressful. But you’re not alone, Join Peanut to connect with other women, build friendships, and find support.