Love Game of Thrones and want to name your baby after one of the characters? We’ve put together a list of Game of Thrones baby names for you to choose from.
There are A LOT of characters in Game of Thrones.
If you’re a GOT fan and want to name your baby after a character from the show, where do you even begin?
Look no further.
We’ve curated a list of the best Game of Thrones names just for you.
In this article: 📝
- Are Game of Thrones names real?
- Who has the longest name in Game of Thrones?
- Game of Thrones girl names
- Game of Thrones boy names
Are Game of Thrones names real?
Yes, there are real, usable names on Game of Thrones.
We’ve pulled together a list of names you might actually want to use without drawing too many side-eyes on the playground.
Rather than sticking to the most Game-of-Thrones-y of Game of Thrones baby names — like Qyburn and Tyene — you might want to take a look at this master list of GOT characters instead for more usable options.
But also, you do you.
Having a little Viserys at a 3-year-old birthday party might be the talk of the town!
So if you’re looking for Game of Thrones dragon names, head here.
And check out our bonus list of dragon-inspired names here.
Or if you’re searching for Game of Thrones wolf names, check out this list.
Who has the longest name in Game of Thrones?
The answer is probably:
Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons.
Wow, that for sure would not fit on a birth certificate.
One final note before we head into our list:
We’re not here to judge whether these Game of Thrones characters’ names belonged to upstanding citizens on the show.
Ramsay Bolton was beyond terrible, without a doubt, but the name Ramsay?
Let’s be honest — it has a certain charm.
Okay, let’s get into it!
What are the best names from Game of Thrones?
Game of Thrones girl names
Here are 30 girl names from Game of Thrones that won’t sound too out of place in the average preschool classroom.
For a lot of these, you can alter the spelling to be more traditional.
- Alys Karstark: You could also spell this Alice, a name with German roots meaning “noble.”
- Arya Stark: Arya is a beautiful name and an inspiring character — win-win!
- Brienne of Tarth: A form of the name Brianne, an English name meaning “high” or “noble.”
- Catelyn Stark: It’s pronounced CAT-lin, but you could also go with many variations like Caitlin or Katelyn. Cat is a cute nickname.
- Cersei Lannister: This name definitely makes a statement, but out of context, it’s kind of pretty. It might be based on the name of the Greek sorceress Circe.
- Daisy: A sex worker in Littlefinger’s brothel.
- Dany: Daenerys might be too much for a baby, but Dany is very cute.
- Dorea Sand: A Greek name meaning “gift.”
- Ellaria Sand
- Gilly: This character is named after the gilliflower, but this is a cute name that could be short for Gillian.
- Irri: A Dothraki handmaiden to Daenerys Targaryen.
- Leaf: A Child of the Forest who played a part in the creation of the White Walkers.
- Lyanna Stark
- Lysa Stark
- Margaery Tyrell: Could also be spelled Marjory.
- Meera Reed: An alternative spelling of the name Mira, this name could mean “peace” from Slavic origins, “ocean” or “boundary” from its Sanskrit roots, or “kindness” in Albanian.
- Melisandre: A very serious name and character, but could also be shortened to Mel, Meli, or Sandy.
- Mirri Maz Dur
- Myranda: A servant in House Bolton who witnesses a particular very gruesome incident in Ramsay Bolton’s dungeon. Often spelled Miranda, this is a classic name meaning “marvelous.”
- Myrcella Baratheon
- Olenna Tyrell
- Osha: A wildling who served at Winterfell.
- Ros: A sex worker outside Winterfell. Could be a nickname for Rosalyn or Rosamund.
- Selyse Florent/Baratheon
- Shae: A sex worker and Tyrion Lannister’s lover. More commonly spelled Shea or Shay, this is a Gaelic name meaning “admirable.”
- Shireen Baratheon
- Summer: A direwolf but also a classic sunny name.
- Talisa Stark
- Walda Bolton: This is a German name meaning “ruler.”
- Yara Greyjoy
Game of Thrones boy names
Here are 40+ boy names from Game of Thrones to honor your fandom while not seeming totally out of place at kindergarten graduation.
So, while we did not include Drogo here, if you want to yell “Nice hit, Drogo!” at t-ball practice, then more power to you!
Many of these can be slightly altered to be more traditional, like Gregory instead of Gregor.
- Aemon: A Master in the Night’s Watch.
- Alton Lannister
- Amory Lorch
- Areo Hotah
- Benjen Stark
- Bowen Marsh
- Bronn: A mercenary soldier, he eventually rises to become “Ser Bronn of the Blackwater.”
- Brynden Tully
- Clarenzo: A very minor character, but could work if you have Italian heritage or like Italian names. Enzo could be a nickname.
- Daario Naharis: Usually spelled Dario, this is an Italian form of Darius, meaning “upholder of the good.”
- Dickon Tarly
- Doran Martell
- Eddard Stark: Ned is the appropriate nickname, of course.
- Eddison Tollett
- Edmure Tully: Could be shortened to Ed or Eddy.
- Gregor Clegane: A name of Greek origin meaning “vigilant.” Gregory is a more popular variation and can also be shortened to Greg.
- Grey Worm
- Harald Karstark: A form of Harold, meaning “army ruler,” Harald is actually the name of several kings of Norway. Harry is a cute nickname.
- Jaime Lannister
- Janos Slynt
- Jaqen H’ghar: Jaqen is a made-up name, but with the current popularity of Jack and names ending in “-en,” we think this name could make sense today.
- Joffrey Baratheon: A form of Geoffrey, a French and Anglo-Saxon name meaning “pledge of peace.” This is really a great name if you can get past the awful character.
- Jon Snow
- Jory Cassel
- Kevan Lannister
- Lancel Lannister
- Locke: A ruthless man-at-arms serving House Bolton.
- Mace Tyrell
- Mance Rayder
- Meryn Trant
- Olly: A farm boy who becomes Jon Snow’s personal steward.
- Orell: A wildling who could take on the consciousness of an eagle.
- Petyr Baelish: A variation on Peter, a name of Greek origin meaning “rock.”
- Ramsay Bolton
- Randyll Tarly
- Renly Baratheon
- Rickard Stark: A variation on Richard, a name of German origin meaning “ruler.” So many cute nicknames, including Richie and Ricky.
- Robb Stark
- Robert Baratheon
- Robin Arryn
- Rodrik Cassel
- Lord Yohn Royce: This name was pretty popular in the 1930s and ’40s and means “son of the King.”
- Samwell Tarly: Usually spelled Samuel, a Hebrew name meaning “told by God.”
- Stannis Baratheon
- Syrio Forel
- Trystane Martell
- Walton: AKA Steelshanks, a captain in service to Roose Bolton.
- Yoren: A member of the Night’s Watch.
There you have it!
78 Game of Thrones baby names to inspire you as you search for the perfect name for your baby.
Winter may be coming, but your new little peanut is sure to bring a joyful light to your life.