So, you’re in hot pursuit of girl names that start with A? After all, it is an amazing letter. In fact, it is letter number one! It’s angelic, astonishing, awe-inspiring, absolutely astounding, and, well, you get the gist.
It’s the letter A. It’s the A-Team and the A-student and the A-grade.
But when it gets down to choosing, you may find yourself asking, but what are girl names that start with an A?
It’s time to get your baby on the A-list with girl names that start with A.
In this article: 📝
- Popular girl names that start with A
- What is the most common girl name that starts with A?
- What is a cute name that starts with A?
- What are unique girl names that start with A?
- What is the rarest girl name that starts with A?
- Girl names that start with A and end with A
- More baby girl names that start with A?
- What is the best girl name that starts with an A?
Popular girl names that start with A
These are our top 10 A names for girls according to the mamas on Peanut – complete with meanings and a little history.
- Addison: One of the few girl names that start with A that’s also a gender-neutral name, Addison is a Hebrew name meaning “child of Adam” or “child of the earth”. Addison has been rising in popularity over the past few years ‒ in fact, it’s made our top baby names of 2021!
- Alanna: A lyrical girl’s name that starts with A, Alanna has multiple meanings ‒ “child” in Irish, “precious” in German, and “serenity” or “beauty” in Gaelic.
- Alexandra, Alexandria, Alexa, or Alex: There are a few variations of these popular girl names that start with A and end with A, all meaning “defender of mankind” in Greek.
- Alice: If you’re looking for a Wonderland, Alice is the perfect name to go for. Thanks to Lewis Carrol, Alice is a name filled with connotations of magic and curiosity – both fantastic ingredients for a life well-lived. With its German origin, Alice means “of the nobility” and has kept up to its name by being the name of various princesses as well as famous literary figures like Alice Munro.
- Amanda: A Latin girls’ name that starts with A and ends with A, Amanda means “loveable”. Perfect for your little peanut.
- Amelia: With German origins, Amelia is one of the A names for girls that gets to work. As in that’s what it means: “work”. Made popular by a host of fascinating characters, from Amelia Earhart to feminist Amelia Bloomer to the whacky’s children’s book character Amelia Bedelia, this is a name that comes with built-in character.
- Amy or Aimee: Similar to Amanda, this girls’ name that starts with A means “beloved” or “amiable”.
- Annabelle: Of French origin, the name Annabelle has had a bit of a resurgence in the last two decades – and that may be due to its meaning: loving. Of all qualities to nurture in your child, this is perhaps one of the most important. Try Annabel as a spelling variation.
- Audrey: Meaning “noble strength”, the name Audrey epitomizes empowerment. It might please you to know that it was the name of a 7th-century saint, who was somewhat of a celeb in the middle ages. And if you’re looking for an extra push, this Audrey Hepburn quote might just help: For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
- Ayla: If you’re looking for something truly distinctive, this is one of the more unique girl names that start with A. With Hebrew and Turkish origins, this musical name means light and tree.
What is the most common girl name that starts with A?
Girl names that start with A are found across the world, but what’s the most common girls’ name that starts with A?
Well, this popular girl name that starts with A has been top of the charts in the US for a few years now:
- Ava: With a Latin origin, meaning life, bird, and water, this name feels like the starting point of an adventure. Sharing a name with a trailblazer like filmmaker Ava DuVernay is sure to start your baby off on the right foot. It’s the name of Reese Witherspoon’s daughter and the glamour icon Ava Gardner. Plus, Ava is one of the only A names for girls that’s been at the top of baby name lists in recent years.
What is a cute name that starts with A?
There’s no denying it: babies are cute. So how about some adorable girls’ names that start with A for your little peanut?
- Abigail: Meaning “cause of joy” in Hebrew.
- Adele: Meaning “noble kind” in German.
- Adora: Meaning “beloved” or “gift” in French.
- Alaina: Meaning “precious” in Hawai’ian.
- Alba: Meaning “white” in Latin and Italian.
- Alisa: Meaning “great happiness” in Hebrew.
- Alita: Meaning “noble” in German.
- Allie: Meaning “harmony” and “noble” in English.
- Amor: Meaning “love” in Spanish and Portuguese.
- Angel: For your little angel.
- Angie: Meaning “messenger” in Italian.
- Anna, Anne, or Annie: Meaning “grace” in Hebrew.
- Aoife: Meaning “beautiful” in Scottish. Aoife is pronounced “ee-fuh” or “ay-fuh”.
- Apple: It works as a celebrity baby name, so why not your little sweetie?
- Ari: Meaning “lion” in Hebrew.
- Aria: Meaning “song” or “air” in Italian.
- Ashley or Ashleigh: Meaning “forest of ash trees” in English.
- Avril: Meaning “April” in French.
- Ayesha: Meaning “life” in Arabic.
- Azure: Meaning “blue in Spanish and English.
What are unique girl names that start with A?
Your baby girl is one-of-a-kind, so how about these unique girl names that start with A:
- Aaliyah: Meaning “highly regarded” in Arabic.
- Adalyn or Ada: Meaning “noble” in German.
- Aelwen: Meaning “fair brow” in Welsh.
- Aisha: Meaning “life” in Arabic.
- Aisling or Ashlyn: Meaning “dream” in Irish.
- Alwilda: Meaning “elf battle” in Scandinavian.
- Alyth: Meaning “rising” in Scottish.
- Amethyst: After the purple gemstone.
- Anaël: Meaning “God has answered” in Hebrew.
- Anita: Meaning “gracious” in Hebrew.
- Aphrodite: After the mythological Greek goddess of love.
- April: Perfect for babies born in the fourth month, meaning “to open” in Latin.
- Aqua: Meaning “water” in Latin.
- Aretha: Meaning “virtuous” in Greek.
- Arianna: Meaning “holy” in Greek.
- Armelle: Meaning “princess” in French.
- Arnola: Meaning “fair-shouldered eagle” in Native American.
- Asia: Ideal for honoring any heritage from the Far East.
- Asuka: Meaning “tomorrow” in Japanese.
- Aspen: Meaning “quaking tree” in Old English.
What is the rarest girl name that starts with A?
We’ve explored some unique girls’ names that start with A, but what about the rarest A name for girls?
Well, it’s hard to tell, but we’ve not come across this baby name just yet:
- Ampara: Meaning “shelter” or “refuge” in Portuguese and Spanish. An ampere is also a unit of measuring electric current, so if your baby has a spark, this could be the perfect unique girls’ name starting with A for you.
Girl names that start with A and end with A
Girl names that start with A are renowned for their beauty and femininity, so adding another A to the end can only make them more graceful.
Brace yourselves, there are a lot of girl names that start with A and end with A ‒ let’s go:
More baby girl names that start with A?
Not found the perfect girl names that start with A?
We’re not done yet!
Here are even more baby girl names that start with A for you to peruse:
What is the best girl name that starts with an A?
As for the best girls’ name that starts with A, that’s totally up to you!
It might feel impossible to choose a name for your little one.
After all, it’s something they’re going to have for quite a long time.
Whether you’re considering something meaningful, carrying on a family tradition, or starting a brand new one, it’s a big decision to make.
But it’s a decision that is totally yours ‒ and we know you’ll find the one that’s right for your baby-to-be.
If you need a little extra help, why not share your favorite girl names that start with A with the mamas-to-be of Peanut? 🥜
💡 You might like:
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With B
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
82 Baby Girl Names That Start With F
89 Baby Girl Names that Start with G
111 Baby Girl Names That Start With H
107 Girl Names That Start with I
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
84 Girl Names That Start With K
66 Girl Names That Start With L
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With N
82 Girls Names That Start With O
57 Baby Girl Names That Start With P
20 Baby Girl Names Starting with Q
92 Girl Names That Start With R
58 Girl Names That Start With S
70 Girl Names That Start with T
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With U
123 Girl Names That Start with V
80 Baby Girl Names That Start With W
75 Baby Girl Names that Start with Y
54 Baby Girl Names That Start With X
82 Baby Girl Names that Start with Z (and Their Meanings)