How to decide on good middle names for your little one? Here’s some inspiration. We’ve got over 200 baby middle names for boys and girls.
Ah, the middle name – the most neglected and misunderstood of names.
It may often only be used on airplane tickets and official documents, or when mama’s very angry indeed. But that said, good middle names do need a bit of thought.
Here, we’ve got 200+ suggestions for cool middle names for girls and boys.
Most importantly, though, we’ll help you decide on the best middle names for your little one.
Because while we can give you ideas, ultimately the choice is yours!
In this article: 📝
- The freedom of a good middle name
- What is a good middle name?
- What are good middle names for a boy?
- What are middle names for a girl?
- What are some cool middle names?
- What are the top 10 middle names?
- What is a rare middle name?
- What is the best middle name?
The freedom of a good middle name
Once upon a time (in the West anyway), middle names weren’t so common.
Mary Wollstonecraft was just Mary Wollstonecraft.
But then, sometime in the 19th century, everything changed, and you ended up with Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso (or Picasso, as he was better known).
Today, many cultures don’t have middle names at all. But plenty of other cultures use multiple middle names.
You can follow whichever tradition you prefer.
Simply, there’s no right way to choose a middle name. You’ve got total freedom.
What is a good middle name?
Now over to you.
On your hunt for the perfect middle name, you’ll need to answer some questions:
- Do you want to honor someone? You can use a middle name to recognize a beloved relation, ancestor, or friend. A recent study found that most parents choose middle names as a commemoration. But it’s up to you.
- Do you want to celebrate your heritage? A middle name can be a good way to acknowledge the place you or your family are from.
- Want to try something different? If you’d like to try a name that’s a bit more unusual, but don’t want to use it every day, it can work well as a middle name.
- Can’t agree? Arguing over different names? You wouldn’t be the first. Making use of middle names can help keep you and your partner both happy.
- Is one enough? With middle names, the sky’s the limit. If you feel that two or three middle names flow better than one, go for it.
- How do the names fit together? If you have a middle name in mind, play around with it before you commit. Write the full name down, repeat it out loud, and pay attention to the initials. This way you’ll notice anything awkward before it’s too late.
What are good middle names for a boy?
So, what are some cool middle names?
With this question in mind, let’s take a look at some good middle names for boys and girls.
While we’ve divided them up by gender, there’s no rule to say you have to stick to these conventions!
First names to use as middle names for boys
But if a classic isn’t your style, a great place to look for middle name inspiration is a list of popular first names.
Here are some to start with (and check out Peanut’s big list of boy names for more):
Last names as middle names
To mix it up a little, why not try a last name as a middle name?
It’s common for families to give their child the mother’s maiden name as a middle name (if you’re not going double-barreled) – and this can be a great way to honor both of your families.
Here are some last names that make awesome, unique middle names for boys:
What are middle names for a girl?
With boys taken care of, let’s move on to some great girl middle names.
Remember, though: whatever the gender, if the name feels right, it’s right.
Let’s start with the most common middle names for girls:
First names that make awesome middle names for girls
Just as with boys, one of the best places to look for cool middle names for girls is among first names.
Here are some of the most popular:
Girl middle names from around the world
For a more international-sounding name – perhaps one that pays homage to your roots or that simply sounds lovely – you could try:
Of course, the world’s your oyster.
What are some cool middle names?
Want your little one to stand out from the crowd and set the trends?
How about these cool middles names:
Cool middle names for girls
And if you need extra ideas, here are 50+ more awesome middle names for girls.
Cool middle names for boys
What are the top 10 middle names?
If you’re keen to know what the most popular middle names are, here are the top 10 for boys and girls:
Popular middle names for boys
According to a recent UK survey, the most popular boy middle names are still the classics:
In the US, the top 10 is pretty similar, with the addition of:
Popular girl middle names
In the UK, the top girl middle names are:
And in the US they’re pretty similar, but with three different names making a top 10 appearance:
What is a rare middle name?
After a middle name for your baby that no-one else will have?
You could do what a few of our Peanut mamas have done, and choose your pregnancy craving for baby’s middle name, like:
- Pickle: A pregnancy craving classic.
- Ben: After Ben & Jerry’s ice cream
- Jerry: See above
- Peanut: Of course we love this one, but it’s also super-cute if you’ve been craving peanut butter.
- Hershey: If you’ve been craving chocolate, this could be the perfect baby middle name!
- Pepper: If you’ve been feeling spicy during pregnancy, you’ll love this baby middle name.
- Apple: If it works as a baby name for Gwyneth, then it could work just as well as a middle name!
- Honey: Feeling sweet?
- Muffin: Kinda cute, right?
What is the best middle name?
Ultimately, the best middle name will be up to you.
It’ll sound good, it could reflect your family, and it will just feel right.
The perfect middle name’s out there, mama!