Greek history and culture are long and varied, which makes Greece a great source of inspiration when it comes to choosing a name for your baby boy. Whether you want a name with a story, a name to honor traditional Greek heritage, or just a cool name that happens to be Greek in origin, this list has got you covered.
So, what are some Greek boy names? Given Greece’s long history and integral role in the shaping of Europe (and European names), some of these names might surprise you. Names like Andrew and Philip, which might seem oh-so-British, actually originated in Greece.
But don’t worry, we’ve included plenty of options if you’re specifically looking for a Mediterranean-sounding boy name too. The options are endless. Well, not endless, but there are quite a lot…
In this article: 📝
- Top 10 Greek names for boys
- Popular Greek male names
- Ancient Greek boy names
- Strong Greek boy names
- Mediterranean boy names
- Cool Greek boy names
- Unique Greek boy names
Top 10 Greek names for boys
If you’re looking for an authentic Greek name, look no further than the current top 10 Greek boy names. They’re pretty unusual, so we’ve included meanings too.
- Georgios — A humble choice for your baby boy, Georgios means “farmer” in Greek.
- Ioannis — Pronounced “Yannis” (and sometimes spelled that way too), this name means “God is gracious” and, believe it or not, is the Greek form of the name John.
- Konstantinos — This traditional Greek name has the simple meaning of “loyal.”
- Dimitrios — Meaning “devotee of Demeter,” the Greek goddess of the harvest.
- Nikolaos — The traditional Greek variant of the common name Nicholas, it means “victory of the people.”
- Panagiotis — Derived from the Greek word Panagia, meaning “all-holy,” this name means “in honor of the Virgin Mary.”
- Vasileios — Simply put, this name means “king” in Greek.
- Christos — A diminutive of Christopher, this name has the meaning “Christ-bearer.”
- Athanasios — This name has the powerful meaning of “immortal.”
- Michail — The traditional Greek spelling of Michael, this name means “who is like God.”
Popular Greek male names
Some of the most common and traditional names we hear in the Western world actually have Greek roots. Many of these male Greek names don’t sound Greek at all, but they all originate from this ancient culture. And that makes them pretty cool to us.
Ancient Greek boy names
Whether your inspiration is mythology, the Greek gods, philosophers, or warriors, ancient greek boy names are a feast of options. Some sound effortlessly cool, some more traditional. Some parents love having a story to tell behind their baby name choices, and these won’t let you down. Here are some Greek baby boy names and meanings from the history books.
- Atlas — A word everyone knows, but a rare name, Atlas was the bearer of the heavens in Greek mythology.
- Apollo — A son of Zeus, Apollo was the God of medicine, poetry, and music. This is a pretty cool name!
- Ares — Literally meaning “ruin,” Ares is a name for a warrior, a fighter, and all things strong.
- Dionysius —This name was given to the Greek god of festivals and parties, so a great choice if you want your little boy to have a fun-filled life!
- Evander — A modern-sounding name, Evander was an Arcadian hero of the Trojan war. It literally means “bow warrior” or “strong man,” which are inspiring attributes!
- Helios — Helios is the name given to the Greek sun god, famously pulled across the sky in a horse-drawn chariot, bringing the sunrise every day.
- Icarus — A famous character in Greek mythology, this boy flew too close to the sun. Known as a risk-taker, this is an adventurous Greek boy name!
- Janus — The namesake for the month of January, Janus was often depicted as a two-faced God, facing both the past and the future.
- Leander — Meaning “lion-man” in ancient Greek, we love the fierce and wild sound of this name.
- Orpheus — A poet and musician from Greek mythology whose music and words were so beautiful they made the rivers stop to listen and the trees dance.
- Perseus — In Greek mythology, Perseus was the heroic son of Zeus who rescued Andromeda from the sea monster and defeated Medusa. A worthy moniker for your baby boy, which can be shortened to the cute Percy, too.
- Pan — Often depicted as a mythological creature with the hindlegs and horns of a goat, Pan was also the Greek god of pastures, shepherds, and fertility.
- Socrates — The famous ancient Greek philosopher has got to be an inspiration for anyone looking for a Greek baby name.
- Zephyr — God of the west wind, this name has a bohemian, modern feel.
Strong Greek boy names
If you’re looking for a name that evokes a feeling of strength and power, look no further. It might interest you to know that the names Arsen, Andrew, and Karl all mean “strong” in Greek, so one of these names could be a perfect choice.
Mediterranean boy names
If you’re choosing a Greek boy name to feel like you’re on a constant Mediterranean holiday, we don’t blame you! Some names with Greek heritage have a wonderfully romantic feel to them, and one of these Mediterranean names might be just what you’re looking for.
Cool Greek boy names
So, what’s a badass name for a boy? If you want your baby boy to be top of the class when it comes to the cool factor, we think this selection of the coolest of the Greek boy names could be just what you’re looking for! Get some baby sunglasses and a leather jacket at the ready – your son is going to be one cool guy.
Unique Greek boy names
If you want to choose a Greek baby boy name that you don’t hear so often, we’ve got you covered! It’s not often you hear Ajax or Zale being called at the playground, so if you’re wanting a unique baby name inspired by the wonders of Greek culture, these names are for you!
👶 Looking for more baby boy names?
1000 Popular Baby Boy Names
137 Cool Baby Boy Names and Their Meanings
90 Middle Names for Boys
141 English Names for Boys
The 149 Most Popular Celtic Baby Boy Names
Top 134 Arabic Baby Boy Names
The Best 107 Hawaiian Baby Boy Names
87 Japanese Baby Boy Names With Their Meanings
The Best 264 Indian Baby Boy Names
100+ Russian Baby Boy Names for Your Little Boy
70 Turkish Baby Boy Names & Their Meanings
229 French Baby Boy Names
The Best 100 African Baby Boy Names
Top 100 Spanish Baby Boy Names & Their Meanings
216 Strong Norwegian Baby Boy Names
90 Latin Baby Boy Names With Their Meanings
80 Strong Baby Boy Names (with Meanings)
121 Italian Baby Boy Names for Your Bambino
85 Scandinavian Baby Boy Names
187 Australian Baby Boy Names for Your Little Anklebiter