Greek boy names run from unique to mainstream, from adorable to warrior-strong. Either way, choosing a name with Greek heritage is a popular choice.
Greek history and culture are long and varied, which makes Greece a great source of inspiration when it comes to choosing a name for your baby boy.
Whether you want a name with a story, a name to honor traditional Greek heritage, or just a cool name that happens to be Greek in origin, this list has got you covered.
So, what are some Greek boy names?
Given Greece’s long history and integral role in the shaping of Europe (and European names), some of these names might surprise you.
Names like Andrew and Philip, which might seem oh-so-British, actually originated in Greece.
But don’t worry, we’ve included plenty of options if you’re specifically looking for a Mediterranean-sounding boy name too.
In this article: 📝
- What is the most popular boy name in Greece?
- What is the most Greek name?
- What is a good Greek name for a boy?
- What are ancient Greek boy names?
- What is a powerful Greek name?
- What are Mediterranean boy names?
- What are cool Greek boy names?
- What are unique Greek boy names?
What is the most popular boy name in Greece?
First, let’s take a look at the most popular Greek boy names in Greece itself, according to Greek Reporter:
- Yiorgos: Meaning “farmer”.
- Yiannis: Meaning “God is gracious”.
- Constantine: Meaning “constant”.
- Dimitris: Meaning “follower of Demeter”.
- Nicholas: Meaning “victory of the people”.
- Panagiotis: Derived from the Greek word Panagia, meaning “all-holy,” this name means “in honor of the Virgin Mary.”
- Vassilis: Meaning “kingly”.
- Christos: A diminutive of Christopher, this name has the meaning “Christ-bearer.”
- Athanasios: This name has the powerful meaning of “immortal.”
- Michalis: Meaning “connected to God”.
What is the most Greek name?
If you’re looking for an authentic Greek name, here are some in their original Greek.
- Georgios: A humble choice for your baby boy, Georgios means “farmer” in Greek.
- Ioannis: Pronounced “Yannis” (and sometimes spelled that way too), this name means “God is gracious” and, believe it or not, is the Greek form of the name John.
- Konstantinos: This traditional Greek name has the simple meaning of “loyal.”
- Dimitrios: Meaning “devotee of Demeter,” the Greek goddess of the harvest.
- Nikolaos: The traditional Greek variant of the common name Nicholas, meaning “victory of the people.”
- Vasileios: Simply put, this name means “king” in Greek.
- Michail: The traditional Greek spelling of Michael, this name means “who is like God.”
109 women are talking about 'Greek baby boy names' on Peanut. Download the app to join the conversation.
What is a good Greek name for a boy?
Some of the most common and traditional names we hear in the Western world actually have Greek roots.
Many of these male Greek names don’t sound Greek at all, but they all originate from this ancient culture.
- Christopher: Meaning “bearer of Christ”.
- Colin: Meaning “people of victory”.
- George: Meaning “farmer”.
- Gregory: Meaning “watchful”.
- Jason: Meaning “healer”.
- Jerome: Meaning “sacred name”.
- Peter: Meaning “rock”.
- Philip: Meaning “horse-loving”.
- Sebastian: Meaning “venerable”.
- Stephen: Meaning “crown”.
- Thomas: Meaning “twin”.
What Greek boy name means strong?
After some powerful Greek names for boys?
Look no further ‒ here are some mighty Greek boys’ names meaning “strong”:
- Aithan: Meaning “strong”.
- Andrew: Meaning “strong”.
- Arsen: Meaning “strong”.
- Evander: A modern-sounding name, Evander was an Arcadian hero of the Trojan war. It literally means “bow warrior” or “strong man,” which are inspiring attributes!
- Karl: Meaning “farmer” or “strong”.
What is a Greek name for strength?
How about Greek boy names that mean “strength” instead of “strong”?
- Alcaeus: Meaning “strength”.
- Zale: Meaning “sea-strength”.
What is the Greek name for handsome?
This Greek male name is perfect for your handsome little one.
- Adonis: Meaning “handsome”.
What is a Greek warrior name?
After some powerful Greek warrior names?
We’ve got you covered with these bold Greek names that mean warrior:
- Anders: Meaning “warrior”.
- Ares: Literally meaning “ruin,” Ares is a name for a warrior, a fighter, and all things strong.
What Greek name means fierce?
If you want your little boy to stand his ground in this life, how about a fearsome Greek boy’s name meaning “fierce”?
- Gorgo: Meaning “fierce”.
Greek boy names that start with A
Want your little one to kick off the register at school?
How about these amazingly awesome Greek boy names that start with A:
- Alexander: Meaning “defender of men”.
- Adrian: Meaning “rich”.
- Achilles: Meaning “pain”.
- Alistair: Meaning “protector of mankind”.
- Angelo: Meaning “messenger of God”.
- Andre: Meaning “courageous”.
- Angel: Meaning “messenger”.
- Alec: Meaning “protector of mankind”.
- Atticus: Meaning “belonging to Attica”.
- Ajax: Meaning “eagle”.
- Aero: Meaning “of the sky”.
- Abacus: Meaning “counting table”.
- Ambrose: Meaning “immortal”.
- Arie: Meaning “best of thinkers”.
Check out more Baby Boy Names That Start With A
What are ancient Greek boy names?
Whether your inspiration is mythology, the Greek gods, philosophers, or warriors, ancient Greek boy names are a feast of options.
Some sound effortlessly cool, some more traditional.
Some parents love having a story to tell behind their baby name choices, and these won’t let you down.
Here are some male Greek god names and meanings from the history books.
- Atlas: A word everyone knows, but a rare name, Atlas was the bearer of the heavens in Greek mythology.
- Apollo: A son of Zeus, Apollo was the God of medicine, poetry, and music. This is a pretty cool name!
- Dionysius: This name was given to the Greek god of festivals and parties, so a great choice if you want your little boy to have a fun-filled life!
- Helios: Helios is the name given to the Greek sun god, famously pulled across the sky in a horse-drawn chariot, bringing the sunrise every day.
- Icarus: A famous character in Greek mythology, this boy flew too close to the sun. Known as a risk-taker, this is an adventurous Greek boy name!
- Janus: The namesake for January, Janus was often depicted as a two-faced God, facing both the past and the future.
- Leander: Meaning “lion-man” in ancient Greek, we love the fierce and wild sound of this name.
- Orpheus: A poet and musician from Greek mythology whose music and words were so beautiful they made the rivers stop to listen and the trees dance.
- Perseus: In Greek mythology, Perseus was the heroic son of Zeus who rescued Andromeda from the sea monster and defeated Medusa. A worthy moniker for your baby boy, which can be shortened to the cute Percy, too.
- Pan: Often depicted as a mythological creature with the hindlegs and horns of a goat, Pan was also the Greek god of pastures, shepherds, and fertility.
- Socrates: The famous ancient Greek philosopher has got to be an inspiration for anyone looking for a Greek baby name.
- Zephyr: God of the west wind, this name has a bohemian, modern feel.
What is a powerful Greek name?
If you’re looking for a Greek boy’s name that evokes a feeling of masculinity and power, look no further.
- Bacchus: Meaning “God of wine”.
- Castor: Meaning “pious one”.
- Christian: Meaning “follower of Christ”.
- Drew: Meaning “manly”.
- Darius: Meaning “kingly”.
- Hector: Meaning “restrain”.
- Leon: Meaning “lion”.
- Matthias: Meaning “gift of God”.
- Timothy: Meaning “one who honors God”.
- Tobias: Meaning “God is good”.
What are Mediterranean boy names?
If you’re choosing a Greek boy name to feel like you’re on a constant Mediterranean holiday, we don’t blame you!
Some names with Greek heritage have a wonderfully romantic feel to them, and one of these Mediterranean names might be just what you’re looking for.
- Basil: Meaning “king”.
- Baptiste: Meaning “to dip”.
- Cyrus: Meaning “sun”.
- Dion: Meaning “God”.
- Dimitri: Meaning “follower of Demeter”.
- Eugene: Meaning “well-born”.
- Jonas: Meaning “dove”.
- Kostas: Meaning “stable”.
- Lucas: Meaning “bringer of light”.
- Leonidas: Meaning “son of a lion”.
- Stavros: Meaning “standstill”.
108 women are talking about 'Greek baby boy names' on Peanut. Download the app to join the conversation.
What are cool Greek boy names?
If you want your baby boy to be top of the class when it comes to the cool factor, we think this selection of the coolest Greek boy names could be just what you’re looking for!
Get some baby sunglasses and a leather jacket at the ready ‒ here are our favorite cool Greek boy names:
- Castor: Meaning “pious one”.
- Dorian: Meaning “of Doris”.
- Damien: Meaning “to tame”.
- Damon: Meaning “overpower”.
- Deacon: Meaning “messenger”.
- Elias: Meaning “the Lord is my God”.
- Jase: Meaning “the Lord is salvation”
- Myles: Meaning “army man”.
- Milos: Meaning “soldier”.
- Nico: Meaning “victory of the people”.
- Otis: Meaning “good listener”.
- Seth: Meaning “anointed”.
- Theodore: Meaning “gift of God”.
- Xander: Meaning “defender of man”.
What are unique Greek boy names?
If you want to choose a Greek baby boy name that you don’t hear so often, we’ve got you covered!
It’s not often you hear Ajax or Zale being called at the playground, so if you’re wanting a unique baby name inspired by the wonders of Greek culture, these names are for you!
- Chariton: Meaning “benevolent”.
- Calix: Meaning “husk”.
- Hero: Meaning “brave”.
- Linus: Meaning “flax colored”.
- Mars: Meaning “God of war”.
- Ocean: Meaning “sea”.
- Orion: Meaning “dawn”.
- Phoenix: Meaning “immortal bird”.
- Thanos: Meaning “immortal”.
- Topher: Meaning “bearing Christ”.
- Zander: Meaning “defender of man”.
We hope you find the perfect Greek baby boy names from our list, but if you want to browse more Greek names, or broaden your search to the most popular baby boy names around the world, feel free to take a peek!
And if you’re after a second opinion, why not share your top baby name choices with the other moms-to-be on Peanut?
You may even find your Bump Buddy!
Kalí týchi, mama!