The hippie movement stepped into the spotlight in the ‘60s, when it became synonymous with free thought, love for Mother Nature, and a peaceful way of life.
Today, hippie culture is still associated with these ideals.
So it’s hardly surprising that so many parents look to hippie names when choosing the right fit for their new arrivals.
These hippie baby names are inspired by the beauty of nature and the peace and love of hippie culture.
Crunchy moms unite!
In this article 📝
- What are some good hippie names?
- Unique hippie baby names
- What are some girl hippie names?
- What are very hippie boy names?
What are some good hippie names?
The best hippie names often have special meanings behind them – which is great news if you want to give baby a name with deeper significance.
And let’s not forget those inspired by the heroes of the hippie movement.
There’s no wrong way to embrace counterculture, but if you need some inspo, these far-out names are a good place to start:
- Gardenia: This majestic name puts a more classic twist on hippie girl names. It comes from the Gardenia shrub, which is native to tropical and subtropical regions, including Africa, Asia, Madagascar, and the Pacific Islands. It is known for its dramatic white flowers.
- Harper: In recent years, Harper has become a popular gender-neutral name. It derives from Middle English and Middle Dutch and means “harp player”.
- Juniper: The name Juniper comes from a sweet berry, which is the predominant flavor in gin. It also makes for a beautiful and distinctive hippie kid name.
- Marley: We couldn’t possibly write this list without paying homage to one of the most famous hippie influences in history. Bob Marley is a music legend and one of reggae’s pioneering artists. So, it seems fitting that he’s inspired one of our favorite names in the next generation of hippie baby names.
- Meadow: This peaceful name evokes everything associated with hippies – lush fields of flowers, nature left undisturbed, peace, and tranquility. 💐
- Sonny: A twist on the popular girl’s name “Sunny”, Sonny also brings warm sunshine to mind. Plus, it’s inspired by Sonny and Cher, the pop duo who were hugely influential in the ‘60s hippie era.
- Serenity: This name represents a distinctly hippie attitude to life – and is perfect for a peaceful, joyful spirit.
- Huckleberry: Probably most famous for Mark Twain’s adventurous character, this name also comes from an old slang word, which has two different meanings: either “humble” or “the right person for the job”. You decide what works best for your little Huckleberry.
- Rain: Weather-inspired hippie baby names are a great way to give your child the passion for and power of nature. The name Rain has connotations of hope, new beginnings, and determination.☔️
- Dylan: Inspired by the great folk-rock singer beloved by hippies, Dylan is originally a Welsh name meaning “born from the sea”. The sea of change? That’s up to your little one. But the world could always do with another voice to inspire generations.
Unique hippie baby names
Every one of these hippy names has a unique energy about them – perfect if you want to remind baby to honor their free-spirited side!
Better yet, they embrace the unconventional by being entirely gender-neutral.
Here are our top picks for original boho hippie baby names:
- Saffron: One of the world’s most sought-after spices, Saffron comes from a type of crocus. It’s made from the red stigmas grown within the center of the flowers.
- Ziggy: We’ve tackled Bob Marley, but what about Ziggy? Or maybe you have Ziggy Stardust in mind? Either way, this name is not made for the sidelines. Meaning “victorious protector”, this gender-neutral hippy name encourages baby to stand up and stand out.
- Tyndall: From the Celtic word tina, this river name means “to flow”. It also refers to the scattering of light by a colloidal mixture – the Tyndall effect. How cute to tell baby they’re named for the visible beam of sunlight that pours through a window or the trees. Hippy and sciency.
- Shiloh: a Hebrew name meaning “tranquil” or “abundance”. An elegant title that balances hippy and spiritual values beautifully.
- Sierra: As the Spanish word for a mountain range, Sierra is a profound example of a nature-inspired baby name. ⛰️
- Kindred: Meaning “connectedness” or “family”. Sure, kindred spirit comes to mind, and that’s definitely part of the appeal. But it also captures the open nature of hippie communities where all are welcome.
- Soleil: An uncommon variation of Sunny that sticks to its meaning. Pronounced so-lay, this French name captures the energy of a radiant personality in two syllables – a great sun name. 🌞
- Journey: Meaning “trip or expedition”. Nope, not the psychedelic kind; we’re talking about the inner journey toward pure, authentic expression. Representing growth and transformation, this profound little name captures the adventurous side of the hippie spirit.
- Zuri: Plucked from the Peanut community, this Swahili name means “beautiful”, “bright”, or “good”. It may stand out as a heritage name, but we love the kind of positive life this sweet name hopes to attract.
- Asa: Another name suggested by the Peanut moms (their baby-name brainstorms are legendary), Asa means “healer”. If you follow a holistic approach to health and well-being, this Hebrew name will be a welcome addition to your family tree. 🌳
What are some girl hippie names?
The beauty of hippy girl names is the freedom of choice.
You can go the nature baby names route and take inspo from flowers, trees, the weather or the seasons.
Or share important sentiments, such as the values of peace, love, and unity.
The choice is yours:
- Autumn: Inspired by the changing seasons, the name Autumn makes us think of bright orange leaves, warm golden sunshine, and nature at its most beautiful – making it one of our top earthy hippie names. 🍂
- Cypress: This magnificent tree grows in warmer climes throughout the world and is renowned for both its beauty and long life.
- Dahlia: Many of our hippie girl names take their inspiration from the beauty of nature, and there are few plants that are quite as extraordinary as dahlias. These mesmerizing flowers are native to Central America and Mexico, but today, grace gardens across the world.
- Harmony: The name Harmony speaks to the principles of unity, understanding, and kindness – everything that hippies stand for.
- Hope: Speaking of hippie beliefs, Hope embodies the beliefs of peace and love that characterize this way of life. Plus, the name also represents the positivity and possibility that your little girl will bring to your world.
- Kai: As the [Hawaiian](https://www.peanut-app.io/blog/hawaiian-baby-names word for “sea”, this majestic name is inspired by the sheer strength of nature.
- Karma: The belief in Karma is a core part of some Eastern religions, including Hinduism and Buddhism. It is the principle that doing good is rewarded with good things. This concept is also intrinsic to hippie beliefs, making it a wonderful source of inspiration here.
- Ocean: Ocean has, at once, connotations of strength and calmness, power and humility. Taking inspiration from one of Mother Nature’s most beautiful creations, it’s an ideal example of an earthy hippie baby name. 🌊
- Janis: As in the legendary Janis Joplin – Woodstock headliner and psychedelic rock star. Meaning “God is gracious”, Janis may appear a little more reserved, but 60s rock fans know better.
- Willow: These ancient trees hold symbolic meanings in many cultures throughout the world. From its Old English roots, this word may also mean “freedom” – perfect inspiration for a hippie baby name.
What are very hippie boy names?
We’re staying close to the outdoor vibe, but let’s not forget the hippie names that carry spiritual or ancient meanings.
From the river to the stars to the higher plane of enlightenment, here are our top choices for hippie boy names:
- Arlo: This name takes its inspiration from Arlo Guthrie, who was a renowned musician throughout the ‘60s. To this day, his music is known for challenging injustice in society and standing up for hippie principles.
- Atlas: This strong and adventurous name has connotations of worldly wanderings and the desire to explore every corner of the Earth. 🌍
- August: Many hippie names come from the names of months or seasons – and August is one of our favorites. Reminding us of long, warm summer days, this gender-neutral name is at once unique and familiar.
- Bear: This name is not only tied to nature but also has charming connotations of cuddliness and warmth. 🐻
- Birch: As a celebration of the birch tree, this name possesses both the strength and beauty of nature.
- Bodhi: This powerful Sanskrit name means “awakened” or “enlightened”.
- Cedar: Cedars are grand, awe-inspiring evergreen trees. They are native to the Mediterranean and the Himalayas but can be found in country estates across the world.
- Orion: Taking inspiration from the stars, the name Orion comes from Orion’s belt—one of the brightest constellations in the night sky. The constellation itself was named after a giant hunter in Greek mythology who Zeus placed among the stars. ✨
- River: Like so many of these hippie boy names, the name River has a sense of strength and timelessness.
- Bayou: A Native American name meaning “small, slow-moving stream”. A laidback easy Southern name with subtle hippie vibes.
Whether you choose a name that embodies the majesty of nature, the power of music, or the beauty of hippie beliefs, we hope you’ve found the perfect fit for the free little spirit that’s about to enter your life.
And if you wish to embrace the bohemian spirit, make sure you check out our list of boho baby names.