Is orange juice good for pregnancy? The short answer is yes.
But with so many different types of orange juice on the shelves, just how good it is depends on a few different factors.
Is it pasteurized? What about fortified? And how much of it will you drink?
Here’s what you need to know about drinking orange juice in pregnancy—and some other juices too.
In this article: 📝
- Will orange juice hurt my baby?
- The benefits of orange juice
- Which orange juice is good for pregnancy?
- Which juice is good for pregnancy?
- Is orange juice good for pregnancy? The last word
Will orange juice hurt my baby?
It’s highly unlikely that drinking orange juice when pregnant will hurt your baby.
Orange juice can be great for your health.
It’s full of vitamin C and folic acid, and it’s a top source of potassium too.
When you’re pregnant, these are all super important nutrients, and there are some very good reasons why:
The benefits of orange juice
- Folic acid helps your baby’s brain and spinal column to develop.
- Potassium regulates your blood pressure.
- Vitamin C helps you absorb iron. This is especially important during your third trimester.
- Calcium isn’t naturally found in orange juice, but fruit juices are usually fortified with calcium. It’s very important when you’re growing a whole new person because you’re both going to need it to keep your bones strong.
- Fiber helps with pregnancy bloating and constipation by keeping things moving.
Yep, orange juice has a lot to boast about. But not every juice is made equal. Here are some things to be aware of.
Which orange juice is good for pregnancy?
The best orange juices for pregnancy are those that tick the following boxes:
- Pasteurized. As with dairy products, it’s best to make sure the orange juice you buy is pasteurized. Pasteurization heats foods and drinks until all the bacteria are killed. This helps keep you safe from unfriendly bacteria, which is extra important while you’re pregnant and your immune system is having a tougher time.
- Fortified. As we mentioned above, orange juices are often fortified with calcium. Aim for these options when you’re buying.
- No/low added sugar. Fruit juices are full of naturally occurring sugars. These are okay (in moderation). But is Sunny D orange juice good for pregnancy? Not really. Juices like these are highly processed and have lots of added sugar.
- Not fresh-squeezed. Juices branded as ‘fresh-squeezed’ are best avoided when you’re pregnant. They won’t be pasteurized and may have been hanging around in their packaging for a while. This increases the chances of contamination. Oranges that you juice yourself, though, are just fine.
And you can always have too much of a good thing.
If you’re drinking orange juice, consider sticking to one 150ml glass a day.
You won’t get any extra nutritional benefit from drinking more and you could experience some unwelcome side effects—including diarrhea, bad breath, and acid reflux.
You’ve got enough on your plate already!
Which juice is good for pregnancy?
So, that’s the lowdown on orange juice. But the best juice for pregnancy? Try some of these fruity drinks (the advice above still applies):
- Banana juice. A top source of vitamin B6, which is great for tackling pregnancy nausea and ensuring a healthy birth weight. Also includes potassium.
- Mango juice. Mango is a good source of iron and fiber—two things you need a lot of during pregnancy.
- Pomegranate juice. High in vitamin C, folic acid, and calcium.
- Apple juice. Apple juice may help to regulate pregnancy weight gain and it’s full of important vitamins too.
There are lots of fruit juices out there that you can enjoy. Find out more about what to eat when pregnant here.
Is orange juice good for pregnancy? The last word
Can I drink orange juice while pregnant? You sure can.
It’s full of goodness that can benefit both you and your little one and it makes a great healthy alternative to sugary sodas.
If you can, keep it pasteurized, fortified, and in moderate amounts. And why not try a few other fruit juices too? 🍊🍏🥭
🍔 More on pregnancy foods:
Pregnancy Meal Plan: 7-Day Meal Chart & 81 Meal Ideas
8 Healthy Pregnancy Meals
Can You Drink Coffee While Pregnant?
Can You Take Probiotics While Pregnant?
What to Eat When Pregnant
Pregnancy Snacks: Healthy Hacks for Pregnancy Cravings
19 Foods to Avoid During Pregnancy
Can You Drink Green Tea While Pregnant?
Can You Drink Chamomile Tea While Pregnant?