They gave us aqueducts, arches, and other architectural marvels – as well as roads that go really straight. But what else did the Ancient Romans give us? The cutest and the coolest Latin baby boy names, of course! Quite an achievement.
Here, we’re looking at 90 Latin names for boys. From the names that populated the Roman Empire to some of the Latin boy names still in use today. Let’s dive in.
In this article: 📝
- What are some cool Latin names?
- Strong Latin boy names inspired by Roman emperors
- Latin male names from Roman legend
- Other classical Latin baby boy names
- Latin names for boys still in use today
What are some cool Latin names?
Good question. And the answer? There are so many cool Latin names out there. Why not name your son after a Roman emperor – like Leo, Zeno, or Nero? Or even a figure from Roman myth – Jove or Aeneas, anyone? We think Latin boy names are incredibly cool – and their long history and fascinating meanings definitely help.
Strong Latin boy names inspired by Roman emperors
Let’s start with names that come down to us from the Roman emperors. Not only were they in charge of one of the largest empires the world has ever known, but they also have inspiring names.
Here are some of our favorites, along with their meanings:
- Augustus. Renowned as a leader for over two thousand years, Caesar Augustus was the guy who essentially founded the Roman Empire. His name means majestic or magnificent – and quite right too. The perfect Latin name for your little one?
- Aurelian. An emperor known for his military victories. Today, in Latin language countries, Aureliano is still a popular name. It means gold.
- Caesar. Originally more of a title (like today’s ‘king’), Caesar makes a unique Latin baby boy name. We love it.
- Claudius. Shorten it to Claude and you have a cute and sophisticated name for your little son.
- Gordian. Three emperors had this name. It makes for a unique twist on Gordon or Jordan.
- Hadrian. This Latin boy name offers an ancient variation on Adrian.
- Leo. A favorite name for nearly 2000 years. It’s cute, strong, and simple.
- Nero. It can mean black, powerful, or – in Finnish, randomly – genius. It sounds quite lovely too.
- Tacitus. Both an emperor and a historian, the name means quiet. We like it.
- Tiberius. His name comes from the Tiber, the river that goes through Rome.
- Titus. One of the most common Latin names in ancient Rome, it means title of honor.
- Trajan. A strong name for a very important baby boy. He was known as the best.
- Zeno. A cool, stylish, and strong Latin male name. It means gift of Zeus.
Latin male names from Roman legend
Now, if a Latin baby boy name from a Roman emperor wasn’t enough, maybe you’ll find some inspiration in these names from Roman myth and legend.
For a unique baby boy, choose a totally unique Latin baby boy name.
- Jupiter or Jove. The king of the gods. Yep, Jupiter is a pretty powerful name. Jove, Jupiter’s nickname, is just as strong but slightly more gentle.
- Bacchus. The god of wine and intoxication. The name is unique these days, but with a nobility that we really like.
- Cupid. The god of love and affection.
- Aeneas. Generally an all-round hero, Aeneas was the mythical father of the Romans. Variations on his name – like the Italian Enea – still exist today.
- Mercury. Known as the cleverest of all gods. It makes a beautiful and unique name.
- Neptune. The god of the sea. As a Latin boy’s name, we love it.
- Liber. A unique name that gives us the word for liberty.
- Faunus. The god of nature.
- Phoebus. The name for the god of the sun.
- Mars. Needs no introduction – but it can make an incredibly cool name for a unique baby boy.
- Romulus. Along with his brother Remus (below), he founded Rome. It’s a lovely-sounding name even today.
- Remus. Similarly, a gentle and noble name.
- Vulcan. The god of fire, Vulcan makes for a pretty impressive-sounding Latin name.
Other classical Latin baby boy names
Not every Latin baby boy name needs to come from the world of emperors and gods. Here are some more Latin male names – and their meanings – that could be just right for your little one:
- Amadeus – to love god.
- Atticus – from the region of Athens. But also the name of one of the best-loved characters in literature, potentially ever.
- Barnabas – son of consolation.
- Brutus – The man Britain is named after.
- Caius – rejoice. It’s pronounced like ‘keys’.
- **Cassius **– empty. The meaning aside, it’s a beautiful Roman name.
- Cato – all-knowing.
- Cirrus – lock of hair. But also the name for the wispy clouds in the sky.
- Clementius (or Clement) – merciful.
- Cornelius – horn.
- Cyprian – man from Cyprus.
- Decimus – the tenth child.
- Emilianus – eager. Emile, Emiliano, or Emilio are all modern alternatives.
- Faustus – lucky.
- Gaius – rejoice.
- Horace – time. A Roman poet.
- Ignatius – fiery one. What a wonderful name!
- Italus – man of Italy.
- Janus – passage or door.
- Julius – youthful. It’s still used in the form of Julian.
- Justus – upright or just.
- Juvenal – youthful.
- Livy – olive tree. A gender-neutral name.
- Lucan – a man from Lucania.
- Lucius – light.
- Magnus – great.
- Maximus – the greatest.
- Octavius – the eighth child.
- Ovid – sheep herder. Not the most compelling name meaning, we know. But he was one of the greatest love poets that ever lived. So, there’s that.
- Paulinus – small.
- Pliny – rich, abundant, perfect.
- Pontius – bridge.
- Ptolemy – war.
- Quintus – the fifth child.
- Roman – strong and powerful. A common name in some parts of the world today.
- Rufus – red-haired.
- Seneca – old.
- Septimus – the seventh child.
- Silvanus – woods.
- Silvius – of the forest.
- Sirius – glowing, scorching. Also, the brightest star in the sky.
- Tarquin – the proud.
- Tatius – honorable.
- Thaddeus – courageous heart.
- Ulysses – wrathful. But the courageous hero of legend.
- Urban – city dweller.
- Virgil – flourishing.
Latin names for boys still in use today
Now for something a little more modern. These are contemporary names that come from the Latin language:
👶 Looking for more baby boy names?
1000 Popular Baby Boy Names
137 Cool Baby Boy Names and Their Meanings
90 Middle Names for Boys
141 English Names for Boys
The 149 Most Popular Celtic Baby Boy Names
Top 134 Arabic Baby Boy Names
The Best 107 Hawaiian Baby Boy Names
87 Japanese Baby Boy Names With Their Meanings
The Best 264 Indian Baby Boy Names
100+ Russian Baby Boy Names for Your Little Boy
70 Turkish Baby Boy Names & Their Meanings
229 French Baby Boy Names
103 Greek Baby Boy Names And Their Meanings
Top 100 Spanish Baby Boy Names & Their Meanings
80 Strong Baby Boy Names (with Meanings)
216 Strong Norwegian Baby Boy Names
121 Italian Baby Boy Names for Your Bambino
98 Portuguese Baby Boy Names
85 Scandinavian Baby Boy Names
187 Australian Baby Boy Names for Your Little Anklebiter