Perhaps you’re looking for some Monday morning motivation. Or there’s a major milestone happening in your household. Or maybe you’re simply searching for a little inspiration to get you through bath-time. Wherever you’re at, consider your prescription of parenting quotes filled.
In this article: 📝
- What are the best parenting quotes?
- Quotes about becoming a parent
- Funny parenting quotes
- Parenting quotes for hard times
- Co-parenting quotes
What are the best parenting quotes?
Quotes about parenthood come in all shapes and sizes.
Whether you’re doing this parenting thing on your own, with your partner at your side, or with someone miles away, the good news is you are not the first one to navigate this terrain, and you won’t be the last.
We can rest on the wisdom of those who have come before and those who we travel alongside.
With that in mind, let’s dive into our favorite being a parent quotes.
Quotes about becoming a parent
- “There are no words that can describe the euphoria you feel when your baby recognizes you for the first time and smiles.” — Jared Padalecki
- “A baby is God’s opinion that life should go on.” — Carl Sandburg
- “Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.” — A.A. Milne
- “A new baby is like the beginning of all things—wonder, hope, and dream of possibilities.” — Eda J. LeShan
- “Every parent is different and so is every child, so you can read all the books and scribble down all the advice you want, but you’re not going to know what to do until you’ve got that baby in your arms. And even then you still might not know — and that’s totally OK!” — Kelly Rowland
- “The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice.” — Peggy O’Mara
- “Children should have enough freedom to be themselves — once they’ve learned the rules.” — Anna Quindlen
- “Children aren’t coloring books. You don’t get to fill them with your favorite colors.” — Khaled Hosseini
- “One thing I had learned from watching chimpanzees with their infants is that having a child should be fun.” — Jane Goodall.
- “The soul is healed by being with children.” — Fyodor Dostoevsky.
- “We spend the first year of a child’s life teaching it to walk and talk and the rest of its life to shut up and sit down. There’s something wrong there.” — Neil deGrasse Tyson.
- “Parenthood…it’s about guiding the next generation and forgiving the last.” — Peter Krause
- “For me, being a mother made me a better professional, because coming home every night to my girls reminded me what I was working for. And being a professional made me a better mother, because by pursuing my dreams, I was modeling for my girls how to pursue their dreams.” — Michelle Obama
- “It is time for parents to teach young people that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” — Maya Angelou
Funny parenting quotes
- “Having a child is like getting a tattoo … on your face. You better be committed.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
- “People who say they sleep like a baby usually don’t have one.” — Leo J. Burke
- “You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” — Franklin P. Jones
- “There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it.” — Chinese Proverb
- “Ah, babies! They’re more than just adorable little creatures on whom you can blame your farts.” — Tina Fey
- “A good way to prepare yourself for parenthood is to talk to rocks because they have similar listening habits.” — Rodney Lacroix
- “Why don’t kids understand their nap is not for them, but for us?” — Alyson Hannigan
- “I don’t know what’s more exhausting about parenting: the getting up early or acting like you know what you’re doing.” — Jim Gaffigan
- “Before I got married, I had six theories about bringing up children. Now, I have six children and no theories.” — John Wilmot
- “When your children are teenagers, it’s important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you.” — Nora Ephron
- “Having children is like living in a frat house — nobody sleeps, everything’s broken, and there’s a lot of throwing up.” — Ray Ramano
- “It just occurred to me that the majority of my diet is made up of the foods that my kid didn’t finish.” — Carrie Underwood
- “I’ve been outsmarted by a toddler, how’s your Thursday going?” — Mindy Kaling
- “All of us have moments in our lives that test our courage. Taking children into a house with a white carpet is one of them.” — Erma Bombeck
- “When your first baby drops her pacifier, you sterilize it. When your second baby drops her pacifier, you tell the dog: ‘Fetch!’” — Bruce Lansky
Parenting quotes for hard times
30. “When you’re pregnant, you can think of nothing but having your own body to yourself again, yet after having given birth you realize that the biggest part of you is now somehow external, subject to all sorts of dangers and disappearance, so you spend the rest of your life trying to figure out how to keep it close enough for comfort.” — Jodi Picoult
Get advice on Peanut
- “Saying ‘no’ to your children, when appropriate, is an act of love.” — Frank Sonnenberg
- “If your baby is beautiful and perfect, never cries or fusses, sleeps on schedule and burps on demand, an angel all the time—you’re the grandma.” — Theresa Bloomingdale
- “There is no such thing as a perfect parent, so just be a real one.” — Sue Atkins
- “The most important thing she’d learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one.” — Jill Churchill
- “The beauty of motherhood is in the folds and creases of our lives, the grimaces, and tantrums, the moments when we have to grit our teeth to get through when we pound on windows and yell and scream and demand better of each other and ourselves.” — Robyn Passante
- “Being a mom has made me so tired. And so happy.” — Tina Fey.
- “Your kids require you most of all to love them for who they are, not to spend your whole time trying to correct them.” — Bill Ayers
- “The thing about parenting rules is that there aren’t any. That’s what makes it so difficult.” — Ewan McGregor
- “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” — Barbara Kingsolver
- “If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?” — Milton Berle
- “Usually the triumph of my day is, you know, everybody making it to the potty.” — Julia Roberts
- “At the end of the day, the most overwhelming key to a child’s success is the positive involvement of parents.” — Jane D. Hull.
- “Your children need your presence more than your presents.” — Jesse Jackson
- “Your children are not your children, they come through you, but they are life itself, wanting to express itself.” — Wayne Dyer
- “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” — Frederick Douglass
- “We may not be able to prepare the future for our children, but we can at least prepare our children for the future.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.” — James Baldwin
- “Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.” — Oprah Winfrey
- “You don’t have to give birth to someone to have a family.” — Sandra Bullock
- “Each day of our lives, we make deposits in the memory banks of our children.” — Charles R. Swindoll
And if you’re looking for quotes to help you on your journey to parenthood, check out our list of amazing pregnancy quotes.
💡 More from The 411:
100+ Unconditional Mother-Daughter Love Quotes
25 Best Husband Quotes to Show Love and Appreciation
How to Be A Good Mother: 9 Top Tips
40 Delightful Daughter’s Day Quotes
50 Affirmations for Moms
10 Life-Changing Mom Hacks From Peanut Mamas
13 Pieces of Advice That New Moms Need to Hear
How to Find Mom Friends in Your Area
Healing From Mom Burnout
How to Meet Other Moms
59 Self Care Ideas For Moms
How to Understand Mom Guilt
Mom Burnout: Reasons, Symptoms and Treatments
Peanut: Tinder for Moms (& So Much More!)
Peanut Gave Me a Platform to Find My “Framily”, Where Other Platforms Couldn’t
What is Gentle Parenting?
48 Memorable Quotes About Daughters
20 Happy Daughter’s Day Wishes and Quotes
230 Mother’s Day Quotes for Mom
100+ Happy Father’s Day Quotes
40 Sweet Husband and Wife Quotes
50 Confidence Quotes for Women