Whether your pregnancy has just kicked off or you feel you’ve been in it for about four years, we feel you.
Whatever stage you’re at, pregnancy affirmations can be a motivating force as you get through the next phase of the journey.
In this article: 📝
- What are affirmations?
- Do pregnancy affirmations work?
- What are birthing affirmations?
- 53 affirmations for pregnancy
What are affirmations?
Affirmations are words or short phrases that can help you gain more control over your mindset, improve your mood, and foster a positive outlook.
They’ve been used in spiritual and religious practices for millennia, and recently, there’s been interest in the science behind them.
Developments in brain science have shown us that affirmations can have a real impact on our brain functioning and behavior.
In fact, by incorporating affirmations into our daily lives, we may be able to rewire how our brains function.
This process, called neuroplasticity, can help us alter patterns of negative thinking and change up the conversations we have with ourselves.
This can be useful at all phases of our lives — and definitely when we’re expecting.
Pregnancy affirmations show a lot of promise when it comes to helping us navigate this major transition in life.
Do pregnancy affirmations work?
Before we go further, if you are struggling with symptoms of anxiety and depression, treatment might help.
It’s important that you talk to your doctor about your options.
And if that feels like too much right now, start by talking to a friend.
You don’t have to go through this alone.
Anxiety during pregnancy is real and can affect the health of you and your baby.
Researchers believe that anxiety and depression affect between 20 to 40% of pregnant women.
There’s a lot to be stressed about right now. Giving birth and becoming a parent are two very big deals.
Treatments like cognitive-behavioral therapy (or talk therapy) can really help ease symptoms.
And while the research is still quite new, pregnancy affirmations can too.
In this recent study, self-affirmations did have an impact on the stress and anxiety felt by pregnant women.
The good news is they certainly can’t do any harm. If they make a difference to you, they work.
What are birthing affirmations?
Affirmations can help at every step of your pregnancy — and certainly at the end of it.
Birthing affirmations can help to empower you to be at your strongest at every phase of labor and right into the postpartum period.
There has been recent research into how a focus on mindset can be important for the birthing experience.
As this study explains, by helping to reduce anxiety, affirmations can provide genuine support as you navigate giving birth.
You can’t control everything, but the right words can give you the strength you need to face what’s ahead.
So, with all that in mind, let’s dive in. Here’s how you can incorporate pregnancy affirmations in your journey.
53 affirmations for pregnancy
The important thing is finding something that feels authentic to you.
You can choose to write your own affirmations or select something from our list of positive pregnancy affirmations.
Once you have found something that works for you, write it down.
You may want to pop it on a post-it note on the bathroom mirror, or on a note that you are able to see often throughout the day.
Know that you can count on the words you have chosen when you need them.
They can guide you through.
Affirmations for pregnancy
- Rest is fuel. I’m allowed to relax when I need to.
- I will be a great mama.
- My baby can feel the peace I feel.
- I love taking care of this new body I’m in.
- My body is remarkable. Look at all it can do.
- My little one is safe inside me.
- How I feel matters — to me and to my baby.
- I love my baby. I love myself.
- Look at my beautiful body.
- I feel at ease.
- I am enough.
- I’ve got this.
- My strength is…
- I am allowed to enjoy this.
- I am strong and so is my baby. Together, we are strong.
- I love the body that is making me a mama.
- Peace is medicine. I will take it every day.
- My body knows exactly what to do.
- I am in control, at peace, and in balance.
- I know what I’m doing. I know how to take care of my body.
Affirmations for giving birth
- I am surrounded by love, support, and respect.
- There is intelligence in every cell in my body.
- I know how to do this.
- I look forward to meeting my baby.
- My birth experience is going to be exactly what it’s supposed to be.
- I am safe. My baby is safe.
- I can put my fear aside and focus on love.
- My job is to be calm and peaceful. Everything will happen as it should.
- My strength is enough for this task.
- My body is powerful and knows what to do.
- I accept every moment of the birthing experience.
- My baby is already so loved.
- I put my trust in the body that has brought me here.
- My body is strong; my heart is strong; my mind is strong.
- We will do this together, my baby and me.
- There is magic in my body. It knows how to create.
- I am meant to do this. I am meant to be here.
- I am allowed to enjoy this experience. I welcome the unknown.
- Labor and birth will be safe and peaceful.
- I will allow myself to be at peace.
Affirmations for the postpartum period
- I know how to do this.
- My baby loves me and feels the love I have for them.
- I can feed, comfort, and care for my baby.
- I will show kindness to myself.
- I am allowed to rest.
- My instincts are strong.
- I will respond to my baby with love and wisdom.
- I am surrounded by love. My baby is surrounded by love.
- I am allowed to enjoy this.
- I will live in the moment and enjoy every phase.
- I know how to make the right decisions for my baby.
- My body is equipped to feed my child.
- Joy is allowed in.
If you’re struggling, reach out. Talk to your friends and family, your healthcare provider, and your Peanut community.
You’ve got this. ❤️
💡 More from The 411:
50 Affirmations for Moms
60 Inspiring Songs About Pregnancy
How to Take Care of Yourself During Pregnancy
5 Ways to Advocate for Yourself During Pregnancy and Postpartum
50 Amazing Pregnancy Quotes to Remember
38 Inspiring & Honest Single Mom Quotes
23 Beautiful Mother and Son Quotes
Mother and Daughter Tattoos: 42 Design Ideas
50 Parenting Quotes to Remember
6 Empowering Support Groups for Black Women
50 Inspiring Quotes for International Women’s Day
13 Pieces of Advice That New Moms Need to Hear
10 Wine-Free Ways to Practice Self-Care as a New Mom
How to Find Mom Friends in Your Area
How to Meet Other Moms
Stay at Home Mom: Top Tips, Benefits & Ideas for Success
59 Self Care Ideas For Moms