Rainbow babies bring sunshine after pain. If you’re looking for meaningful rainbow baby quotes that offer both joy and comfort, we’ve got you.
Rainbow babies are so very special.
They can bring the sun after rain, the joy after pain, and the light back into our lives.
These rainbow baby quotes encapsulate just those sentiments.
- “It’s when you follow the rain clouds that you find out where the rainbows are hiding.” Anthony T. Hincks
In this article: 📝
- What is a rainbow baby?
- What is a rainbow baby quote?
- Our favorite meaningful rainbow baby quotes
- How do you announce a rainbow baby?
- When do you announce a rainbow baby?
- What is a rainbow baby called?
- How do you say congratulations on a rainbow baby?
- Rainbow baby Mother’s Day quotes
What is a rainbow baby?
The loss of a child, however it happens, is devastating, and the storm of emotions can be overwhelming.
If you experience pregnancy loss, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth, or a loss during infancy, any subsequent pregnancies are called rainbow pregnancies.
And the little ones born from them are rainbow babies.
These are the rainbows that come after the storm.
A rainbow doesn’t erase the damage and sorrow of the storm but brings promise and — quite literally — new life.
Know that feeling anxious is a normal part of pregnancy following loss.
We get it, and so we have a group dedicated to supporting you over on Peanut.
With that in mind, let’s explore.
What is a rainbow baby quote?
Rainbow baby quotes are little snippets of text that can help provide that hope and comfort.
Whether this is a journey you’re on yourself as a rainbow mama, or if you’re looking to support someone you love through a pregnancy following a loss, this is for you.
Rainbow baby quotes can be an affirming way to navigate this sensitive time.
You can use them as part of a meditation practice, save them on your phone’s home screen or tape them to your bathroom mirror.
Another option is to write the words that you find comforting on a piece of card and slip them into your wallet to read whenever you’re feeling low.
Our favorite meaningful rainbow baby quotes
- “Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue. And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.” Yip Harburg
You can’t help but sing this one in your head as you read it — gorgeous lyrics, sung in a way that recalls that things haven’t always been easy. But keep the faith. You have no idea what tomorrow will bring.
- “A rainbow baby marks the beginnings of all things — wonder, hope, and a beautiful dream of possibilities.” Anon
A hopeful reminder of all that is still to come. Just like a rainbow.
- “Rainbows remind us that even after the darkest clouds, and the fiercest winds, there is still beauty.” Katrina Mayer
With so many emotions at play, it can feel complicated to celebrate the joy of a coming rainbow baby. These words are not trying to erase the pain that came before but understand that future love is more than possible.
- “Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.” Corinthians 13: 7-8
This beautiful biblical quote speaks to hope, strength, and the power of love.
- “When we lose one blessing, another is most often unexpectedly given in its place.” C.S. Lewis
This wise literary quote comes from the author of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Just when you think you will never see the light again, a beautiful rainbow comes along to remind you just how bright your world can be.
- “Hand-picked by our angel above us to cherish and love.” Anon
This quote is a touching way to honor and remember the baby you lost as you celebrate the precious baby to come.
- “No more teardrops now that I’ve found a love so true; I got a pocketful of rainbows, got an armful of you.” Fred Wise and Ben Weisman
From the sublime Elvis song Pocketful of Rainbows, these lyrics can only make you smile.
- “A rainbow brings joy and hope arching over us in a display of the colors of love.” Anon
Simple. Clear. Sweet.
- We loved you before we knew you. Even when there was just a hope for you, we loved you.” Anon
This one speaks so clearly about a mama’s love. So very touching.
11. “The dark clouds are lifting, a rainbow has appeared, and the sunshine is on its way.” Anon
What a delightful way to think of your coming squish. A load of sunshine indeed.
How do you announce a rainbow baby?
This one is super personal. There are no rights or wrongs, only what you feel comfortable with.
When you begin to tell your nearest and dearest, you may choose to do so in person.
If you feel like it’s a good fit, you can follow up with a social media post later.
If you do opt for a social media announcement, you might want to include a nod to your previous loss by having a rainbow image in your post.
Or by using a rainbow baby quote that speaks to you. One example is:
- “Dreams really do come true, my sweet rainbow baby, I’ve been waiting for you.” Anon
It’s entirely up to you how much you want to reveal to the wider world. You may decide to keep your loss totally private, which is completely ok too. This is your journey. ❤️
When do you announce a rainbow baby?
Some folks like to wait longer than the traditional twelve weeks, needing a little more time to make sense of the big feelings that come with pregnancy after loss.
Others may choose to announce it sooner to friends and family for a bit of extra support along the way.
Only you will know when the time is right, and only then is it the right time.
What is a rainbow baby called?
As with any other baby, you can choose whatever name speaks to you.
For some parents, a name meaning rainbow or bringer of light can be a beautiful reminder of the special significance of their rainbow baby.
How do you say congratulations on a rainbow baby?
Take your lead here from the mama.
If they are open about their loss, chances are they’ll appreciate your acknowledgment of the storm that brought them to this special place.
A heartfelt card with a positive reflection on what it means to be a rainbow parent is a lovely idea.
If you are unsure how they feel, perhaps focus instead on the fact that any baby born is an incredible miracle deserving of celebration.
Rainbow baby Mother’s Day quotes
Mother’s Day can be challenging for those who have experienced baby loss.
And those feelings can be even more complex when carrying a rainbow baby.
Mamas often don’t want to forget the babies missing from their arms.
If you’d like to reassure them that you remember and honor their baby and their loss, here are a few special quotes that may help.
- “Those we have held in our arms for a little while, we hold in our hearts forever.” Anon
- “You never arrived in my arms, but you will never leave my heart.” Zoe Clark-Coates.
- “May you always know you were wished for, prayed for, and will be forever loved.” Anon
- “My baby sleeps with the moon and the stars.” Anon
- “We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead.” Anon
- “How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts.” Dorothy Ferguson
- “You are the rainbow that adds color to my gray skies.” Avijeet Das
- “Your laughter is warm rain, and you are the rainbow.” Lori Jenessa Nelson
These are also perfect to use as National Rainbow Baby Day quotes — a celebration that happens every 22nd of August.
Rainbow baby quotes can be a positive, helpful way to manage some of the anxiety that could come with having a rainbow baby.
If you need someone to talk you through navigating baby loss, check in to Peanut.
Many mamas know what you’re going through and are standing by to help.
🌈 More from The 411:
What Does a Miscarriage Look Like?
Meghan Markle, You’re Not Alone - Here’s Why
What to Say to Someone Who Had a Miscarriage
What to Know About Stress While Pregnant
50 Confidence Quotes for Women