No two relationships are the same. That’s why our list of relationship quotes covers all sorts of different bonds. Read on to find the words that speak to you.
Audrey Hepburn wasn’t kidding when she said, “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.”
In recent years, many of us have been forced to be apart from the people we love.
And the pressures on our relationships have been real.
It’s hard not to have a new appreciation for the people that matter to us and what it means to connect.
That’s where these relationship quotes come in.
Finding wisdom in the words of others is one vital way to pay attention to the connections we have with those we care deeply about.
In this article: 📝
- What is the best relationship quote?
- New relationship quotes
- Long-distance relationship quotes
- Cute relationship quotes
- Relationship goals quotes
- Funny relationship quotes
What is the best relationship quote?
Well, that all depends on the relationship.
Luckily, great minds of the past and present have given us so many pearls to choose from.
We’re going to explore a range of different relationship quotes that cover all chapters and types of love stories.
So whether you’ve only just met, are figuring out how to overcome challenges, or have been together for a long time, we’ve got you covered.
(And, spoiler alert, we’ve also thrown in some humorous relationship quotes to get you giggling — because there are very few things better than laughing with those we love.)
Let’s dive in.
New relationship quotes
- “I have learned not to worry about love; but to honor its coming with all my heart.” — Alice Walker
- “Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time.” — Maya Angelou
- “The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.” — Carl Gustav Jung
- “To say that one waits a lifetime for his soulmate to come around is a paradox. People eventually get sick of waiting, take a chance on someone, and by the art of commitment become soulmates, which takes a lifetime to perfect.” — Criss Jami
- “Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.” — Bob Marley
- “Perhaps we are in this world to search for love, find it and lose it, again and again. With each love, we are born anew, and with each love that ends, we collect a new wound. I am covered with proud scars.” — Isabel Allende
- “Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.” — Washington Irving
Long-distance relationship quotes
- “In case you ever foolishly forget: I am never not thinking of you.” — Virginia Woolf
- “But nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it.” — Calla Quinn
- “In true love, the smallest distance is too great, and the greatest distance can be bridged.” — Hans Nouwens
- “Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated.” — Alphonse de Lamartine
- “I miss you deeply, unfathomably, senselessly, terribly.” — Franz Kafka
- “We only part to meet again.” — John Gay
- “And they can’t understand, what hurts more — missing the other person, or pretending not to.” — Khadija Rupa
- “It’s hard when you miss people. But you know if you miss them, that means you’re lucky. It means you had someone special in your life, someone worth missing.” — Nikki Schiefelbein
- “It’s enough for me to be sure that you and I exist at this moment.” – Gabriel Garcia Márquez
- “I only miss you when I’m breathing.” — Jason Derulo
- “That’s how you know you love someone, I guess, when you can’t experience anything without wishing the other person were there to see it, too.” – Kaui Hart Hemmings
- “I miss you in ways that not even words can understand.” — Gemma Troy
- “We were together even when we were apart.” — Shannon A. Thompson
- “It feels good to think about you when I’m warm in bed. I feel as if you’re curled up there beside me, fast asleep. And I think how great it would be if it were true.” — Haruki Murakami
- “I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart for so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.” — A.A. Milne
Cute relationship quotes
- “We cannot really love anyone with whom we never laugh.” — Agnes Repplier
- “I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.” — Angelita Lim
- “Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.” — Nicole Krauss
- “Our soulmate is the one who makes life come to life.” – Richard Bach
- “I love you much (most beautiful darling) more than anyone on the earth and I like you better than everything in the sky.” — e.e. Cummings
- “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” — Marcel Proust
- “Love that stammers, that stutters, is apt to be the love that loves best.” — Gabriela Mistral
- “I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close.” — Pablo Neruda
- “Some think love can be measured by the amount of butterflies in their tummy. Others think love can be measured in bunches of flowers, or by using the words “for ever.” But love can only truly be measured by actions. It can be a small thing, such as peeling an orange for a person you love because you know they don’t like doing it.” — Marian Keyes
- “Maybe you don’t need the whole world to love you. Maybe you just need one person.” — Kermit the Frog
Relationship goals quotes
- “To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow — this is a human offering that can border on miraculous.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
- “Lately I’ve been thinking about who I want to love, and how I want to love, and why I want to love the way I want to love, and what I need to learn to love that way, and how I need to become the kind of love I want to be. And when I break it all down, when I whittle it into a single breath, it essentially comes out like this: before I die, I want to be somebody’s favorite hiding place, the place they can put everything they need to survive, every secret, every solitude, every nervous prayer, and be absolutely certain I will keep it safe. I will keep it safe.” — Andrea Gibson
- “Far too many people are looking for the right person, instead of trying to be the right person.” — Gloria Steinem
- “The person you’re meant to be with will never have to be chased, begged or given an ultimatum.” — Mandy Hale
- “Learn to be quiet enough to hear the genuine in yourself, so that you can hear it in others.” — Marian Wright Edelman
- “Fall in love with someone who makes you glad to be different.” — Sue Zhao
- “The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” — Victor Hugo
- “Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.” — James Baldwin
- “We have to recognize that there cannot be relationships unless there is commitment, unless there is loyalty, unless there is love, patience, persistence.” — Cornel West
- “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” — Mignon McLaughlin
- “Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have.” — Robert Holden
- “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” — Paulo Coelho
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” — Maya Angelou
- “Happily ever after is not a fairy tale. It’s a choice.” — Fawn Weaver
- “True love stories never have endings.” — Richard Bach
- “I’m not telling you it is going to be easy — I am telling you it is going to be worth it.” — Art Williams
Funny relationship quotes
- “Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow internet to see who they really are.” — Will Ferrell
- “Love is a two-way street constantly under construction.” — Carroll Bryant
- “To fall in love is to create a religion that has a fallible god.” — Jorge Luis Borges
- “Love is sharing your popcorn.” — Charles Schultz
- “If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?” — Lily Tomlin
- “Marriage has no guarantees. If that’s what you’re looking for, go live with a car battery.” — Erma Bombeck
- “A relationship where you can be weird together is your best choice.” — Paulo Coelho
- “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” — Charles M. Schulz
- “Love is the same as like except you feel sexier.” — Judith Viorst
- “Love is a lot like a backache: it doesn’t show up on X-rays, but you know it’s there.” — George Burns
- “I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” — Rita Rudner
- “Romantic love is a mental illness. But it’s a pleasurable one.” — Fran Lebowitz
- “I miss crawling into a man’s arm, kissing his neck, saying those three little words into his ear, ‘And another thing…’” — Felicia Michaels
Sending lots of love your way. ❤️