Curious about Russian girl names? Maybe you want to honor your Russian roots. Or maybe you’re looking for popular European names with a bit of a unique twist. Whatever’s behind your interest in Russian female names, you’ve landed exactly where you need to be.
Mama – or maybe we mean mamouchka or mamasha – we’ve done all the hard work for you. We’ve been up and down the internet to find you the ultimate list of female Russian names. They’re beautiful, they’re pretty unique outside of Russia, and they may make the perfect match for your little daughter.
But, remember, some Russian names for girls might suit boys, too.
So, without further ado, let’s get you the perfect Russian baby girl name.
In this article: 📝
- What is the most popular Russian girl name?
- What are common Russian names?
- More common Russian female names
- 10 more popular Russian girl names
- More beautiful Russian women’s names
What is the most popular Russian girl name?
- Mariya. The most popular Russian girl name of 2020 was Mariya. It’s a beautiful name – a Russian equivalent of the globally common Maria, Mary, or Marie.
What are common Russian names?
For girls, the most common Russian names are as follows. Note the Cyrillic (Russian alphabet) spelling of the name, too!
- Sofia – София. A common name all over Europe, Sofia means ‘wisdom’.
- Anastasia – Анастасия. A beautiful and distinctly Russian baby girl’s name, Anastasia actually has Greek origins. It means ‘resurrection’.
- Anna – Анна. Anna Karenina is probably the most famous Russian literary character. The name means ‘grace’ or ‘favor’.
- Elizabeth – Елизавета. A biblical name that’s spread across Europe and beyond, Elizabeth is one of the most common Russian female names.
- Victoria – Виктория. Call your little daughter Victoria, and she’ll always be a winner. The name, of course, means ‘victory’.
- Daria – Дарья, Дария. We can’t render the differences in the original cyrillic script in our alphabet, but there are two versions of Daria. It’s a Russian name that hasn’t yet become popular in the USA.
- Polina – Полина. Polina traces its roots all the way back to Apollo, the Greek god of the sun, music, and poetry.
- Varvara – Варвара. Think Barbara, but with a Russian twist. It means ‘strange’ or ‘foreign’, and we say there’s nothing wrong with that!
- Alice – Алиса. A beautiful name in every language, Alice is the tenth most common girl name in Russia.
Note: In Russia, given names are often changed up with lots of different variations. That’s because the language uses a whole heap of pet names, or ‘diminutive’ forms of names. So, if your name is Sofia, you might be known among friends as Sonya, Sofyushka, Sofiyanka, Sofka, or Soka.
More common Russian female names
- Aleksandra – Александра. Aleksandra needs no introduction. It means ‘to ward off’ or ‘to protect’. It’s a name with real strength.
- Ekaterina – Екатерина. Catherine the Great, as we know the Russian queen in the English-speaking world, was actually more Ekaterina. Still, it’s a great name.
- Ksenia – Ксения. The Greeks used the word ‘xenia’ to mean ‘hospitality’ and ‘friendship’. A great name for your daughter.
- Arina – Арина. Arina was the Greek goddess of peace. While we don’t have an equivalent in English, we should, because it’s a lovely name.
- Veronika – Вероника. They say it means ‘victory bringer’. It’s a name with a beautiful and noble sound.
- Vasilisa – Василиса. It means ‘queen’ or ‘empress’, and it’s a classic Russian name.
- Valeriya – Валерия. ‘To be healthy and strong’ is the meaning – and with a name like this, you know your daughter will be.
- Milana – Милана. With regional variations including Milena, Milana is a typical Russian name meaning ‘favored’.
- Ulyana – Ульяна. It’s Russian through and through, and it means ‘youthful’. No matter her age, your daughter will be young at heart.
- Eva – Ева. A classic name with biblical roots.
10 more popular Russian girl names
We’re not finished yet! Here are 10 more popular baby girl names with their meanings.
- Kira – Кира. It means ‘mistress’ or ‘ruler’.
- Vera – Вера. A name of Slavic origin, it means ‘faith’ or ‘truth’.
- Margarita – Маргарита. Also the word for ‘daisy’, Margarita is a common Russian name. It can be shortened to Margosha, Rita, or Ritunya.
- Alyona – Алёна. A Russian girl’s name meaning ‘bright and shining light’.
- Kristina – Кристина. A common name across Europe, Kristina means ‘follower of Christ’.
- Alina – Алина. Its diminutive form is the delightful Alinoshka. Alina means ‘light’.
- Taisiya – Таисия. As well as being the name of a lover of Alexander the Great, Taisiya means ‘beautiful’ or ‘divine’.
- Olga – Ольга. Perhaps one of the better-known Russian names, Olga means ‘blessed’ or ‘holy’. Its diminutive forms include Lyolya and Olechka.
- Diana – Диана. Another name used across Europe, Diana comes from the ancient Roman goddess.
- Yulia – Юлия. The Russian form of Julia, Julie, or Giulia.
More beautiful Russian women’s names
And, finally, here are over 70 more Russian names for inspiration. We hope you find something you love!
- Agafya – Агафья
- Agata – Агата
- Agrafena – Аграфена
- Agnia – Агния
- Alla – Алла
- Angelina – Ангелина
- Anika – Аника
- Anfisa – Анфиса
- Anoushka – Анушка
- Antonina – Антонина
- Anzhelika – Анжелика
- Dina – Дина
- Dominika – Доминика
- Doroteya – Доротея
- Elena – Елена
- Emma – Эмма
- Evelina – Эвелина
- Evgeniya – Евгения
- Faina – Фаина
- Feodora – Феодора
- Galina – Галина
- Inga – И́нга
- Inna – Инна
- Irina – Ирина
- Isabel – Изабель
- Izolda – Изолда
- Kapitolina – Капитоли́на
- Katya – Ка́тя
- Klara – Клара
- Klavdiya – Кла́вдия
- Klementina – Клементина
- Kristina – Кристина
- Ksana – Ксана
- Lada – Лада
- Larisa – Лариса
- Lena – Лена
- Lidiya – Лидия
- Liliya – Лилия
- Lucya – Люся
- Luda – Люда
- Ludmila – Людмила
- Lyubov – Любовь
- Manya – Маня
- Margarita – Маргарита
- Margosha – Маргоша
- Marina – Марина
- Marta – Марта
- Maya – Майя
- Mila – Мила
- Miroslava – Мирослава
- Nadezhda – Надежда
- Nadia – Надя
- Natalya – Наталья
- Natasha – Наташа
- Nikita – Никита
- Nina – Нина
- Oksana – Оксана
- Raisa – Раи́са
- Sabina – Сабина
- Samara – Сама́ра
- Sasha – Саша
- Sonechka – Сонечка
- Sonya – Со́ня
- Sveta – Света
- Svetlana – Светлана
- Tatiana – Татьяна
- Ulyana – Ульяна
- Valentina – Валентина
- Vanka – Ва̑нка
- Vladlena – Владлена
- Yana/Jana – Яна
- Yasemin – Жасмин
- Yelizaveta – Елизавета
- Zhanna – Жана
- Zinaida – Зинаида
- Zlata – Злата
- Zoya – Зоя
👶 Looking for more baby girl names?
174 Indian Baby Girl Names for Your Little Daughter
118 Arabic Baby Girl Names for Your Baby Daughter
Top Girl Names: The Ultimate List
49 Bellissimi Italian Baby Names
92 English Names for Girls
90 Middle Names for Girls
161 Cool Baby Girl Names And Their Meanings
105 Gorgeous Mexican Baby Girl Names & Their Meanings
21 Girl Names That Start With A
168 Celtic Baby Girl Names for Your Daughter-to-Be
The Best Polish Baby Girl Names for New Babies
115 Hawaiian Baby Girl Names for Your Baby Daughter
The 111 Best Japanese Baby Girl Names
The 76 Best Turkish Baby Girl Names
The Top 87 Irish Baby Girl Names
212 French Baby Girl Names
The Best 99 Korean Baby Girl Names
153 Greek Baby Girl Names And Their Meanings
90 Strong Baby Girl Names & Their Meanings
220+ Beautiful Norwegian Baby Girl Names
50+ Beautiful Biblical Baby Names for Girls (& Meanings)
216 Awesome Australian Baby Girl Names & Meanings