Would you prefer to cut to the chase when it comes to choosing a name for your baby boy?
Or are you after some short middle names for boys that won’t add too much bulk to their ever-growing moniker?
Or maybe you’d rather avoid the minefield of shortened nicknames, where you called your little one Timothy but everyone calls him Tim?
Long names can be beautiful, traditional, and full of deep meaning.
But who said that isn’t true for short baby boy names too?
So, whether you want a short first name to balance out your long last name, or a name that’s going to be easy for your baby’s older sibling to say, we’ve got you covered.
In this article: 📝
- What are some short boy names?
- What is a cool short name?
- What are some short unique boy names?
- What about unique short boy names?
- What are short boys names with 3 letters?
What are some short boy names?
Short male names of one or two syllables are on-trend right now.
They’re quirky, fresh, and always sound cool.
What’s more, in a few years, the chances are that Max will learn to write his name more quickly than Alexander or Zachariah who he’s sitting next to in school.
- Aaron: Meaning “elevated”, Aaron was Moses’ older brother in the Bible.
- Abel: Of Hebrew origin, Abel was Adam and Eve’s son. It means “son of breath”.
- Adam: The name of the first man created in the book of Genesis. It means “son of the earth”.
- Aiden: Of Irish origin, meaning “little fire” or “fiery one” and linked to the Celtic God of the sun.
- Alex: Meaning “man warrior” or “defender of mankind”. It’s of Greek origin and is short for Alexander.
- Angel: Of Greek origin meaning “messenger Of God”. This name has grown in popularity since it was given to a character in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Asher: Of Hebrew origin, it means “happy, blessed”.
- Axel: A badass name with German and Scandinavian origins. It means “father of peace” and is a version of Absalom.
- Caleb: Of Hebrew origin meaning “faithful” and “bold”.
- Calvin: Meaning “the bald one” or “hairless”. With Latin origins, it is known around the world because of designer Calvin Klein and the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes.
- Carter: A short and sweet boy name with Irish, Scottish, and English origins. It means “drives a cart”.
- Chase: An English name meaning “to hunt” or “huntsman”.
- Dylan: Of Welsh origin meaning “faithful, son of the sea, son of the wave, or born from the ocean”.
- Ethan: Of Hebrew origin, it means “firm, strong, enduring, long-lived”. Famous bearers of this name include actor Ethan Hawke and director Ethan Coen.
- Grant: A classic short boy”s name with English, French, and Scottish roots that means “bestow, great or large”.
- Henry: A Germanic name meaning “ruler of the home”.
- Hunter: Originally the last name of people who hunted.
- Isaac: Of Hebrew origin meaning “one who laughs”.
- Ivan: This name is the Russian translation of John and means “God is gracious”.
- Jacob: Of Hebrew origin, this short boy name means “supplanter”.
- John: Another Hebrew name that means “God has been gracious”. President John F. Kennedy is one of many famous Johns in history.
- Jordan: Of Hebrew origin, this name means “to flow downward” and is the name of the river where Jesus was baptized.
- Jose: A Biblical name with Portuguese and Spanish origins meaning “may God give the increase”.
- Levi: A Biblical name that means “joined in harmony”.
- Logan: A Scottish name meaning “little hollow”.
- Luca: A gorgeous Italian name meaning “bringer of light”.
- Lucas: Of Greek origin, this name means “light-giving”.
- Luis: A variation of the Spanish origin name meaning “famous warrior”.
- Luke: From the Greek word meaning “light-giving”.
- Mason: A traditional name that was given to people who worked with stone.
- Michael: Of Hebrew origin meaning “who is like God”.
- Miles: A name of Latin origin that means “soldier”. In English, it can also mean “merciful”.
- Noah: Of Hebrew origin meaning “rest or peace”.
- Nolan: Of Irish origin meaning “descendant of the famous one”.
- Owen: A Celtic name that means “young warrior”.
- Ryan: An Irish name that means “kingly”.
- Wyatt: Of English origin meaning the “son of guy”.
What is a cool short name?
We meant it when we said that short baby boy names sound effortlessly cool.
Here are some of our favorites.
- Arrow: Meaning “shot from a bow”.
- Beau: Meaning “beautiful”.
- Champ: Meaning “winner”.
- Colt: Meaning “young horse”.
- Dash: Meaning “swift movement”.
- Dean: Meaning “valley”.
- Duke: Meaning “leader”.
- Finn: Meaning “fair”.
- Hyde: Meaning “hide”.
- Jack: Meaning “God is gracious”.
- Kent: Meaning “edge”.
- Knox: Meaning “round hill”.
- Milo: Meaning “soldier”.
- Nico: Meaning “victory of the people”.
- Reed or Reid: Meaning “red-haired”.
What are some short unique boy names?
And what if all these names still seem a bit mainstream?
Try this list of strong baby boy names that you might never have heard on the playground before.
- Arlo: This name is either an Italian variant of Charles or the Spanish word for the barberry tree.
- Beck: Meaning “stream”.
- Benji: Meaning “son of the right hand”.
- Boden: Meaning “hill”.
- Bowen: Meaning “son of Owen”.
- Brady: Meaning “broad meadow”.
- Brock: Meaning “badger”.
- Colby: Meaning “from a coal town”.
- Enzo: An Italian variant of the German name Heinz. It means “laurelled”.
- Ezra: Meaning “helper”.
- Felix: Meaning “fortunate”.
- Grady: Meaning “noble”.
- Hart: Meaning “a shallow place in a river where deer roam”.
- Jude: Meaning “praised”.
- Liam: Of Irish origin, this name means “strong-willed warrior and protector”.
- Nate: Meaning “gift of God”.
- Reese: Meaning “enthusiasm”.
- Remy: Meaning “oarsman”.
- Ruben: Meaning “behold, a son”.
- Tate: Meaning “cheerful”.
- Todd: Meaning “fox”.
- Trey: Meaning “three”.
- Van: Meaning “from”.
What about unique short boy names?
And what if all these names still seem a bit mainstream?
Try this list of strong baby boy names you might never have heard on the playground before.
- Atlas: Meaning “heavens bearer”.
- Banks: Meaning “riverbank dweller”.
- Blake: Meaning “light”.
- Cyrus: Meaning “sun”.
- Dane: Meaning “God is my judge”.
- Ford: Meaning “river crossing”.
- Holt: Meaning “grove of trees”.
- Jett: Meaning “black”.
- Jonah: Meaning “dove”.
- Judd: Meaning “flowing down”.
- Leon: Meaning “lion”.
- Lyle: Meaning “island”.
- Nash: Meaning “by the ash tree”.
- Onyx: Meaning “black gemstone”.
- Quinn: Meaning “counsel”.
- Trent: Meaning “flooder”.
- Wade: Meaning “to go”.
- Zane: Meaning “God is gracious”.
What are short boys names with 3 letters?
As Shakespeare once wrote, “brevity is the soul of wit”.
With that in mind, here are some short, sweet, and sassy 3-letter names for your little guy:
- Ace: Meaning “unity”.
- Ash: Meaning “ash tree”.
- Ben: Meaning “son of the right hand”.
- Dan: Meaning “God is my judge”.
- Dex: Meaning “right-handed”.
- Eli: Of Greek and Hebrew origin meaning “ascended, uplifted, high”.
- Fox: 🦊
- Gus: Meaning “magnificent”.
- Hal: Meaning “ruler of an army”.
- Ian: Of Scottish origin meaning “God is gracious”.
- Ike: Meaning “laughter”.
- Jay: Meaning “victory”.
- Kai: Meaning “ocean”.
- Kit: Meaning “follower of Christ”.
- Leo: Of Latin and English origins. It means “lion” and is symbolic of royalty.
- Lev: Another name meaning “lion”.
- Max: Meaning “greatest” in Latin.
- Ned: Meaning “wealthy guardian”.
- Oli: Meaning “ancestor’s descendant”.
- Pax: Meaning “peace”.
- Ray: Meaning “wise protector”.
- Sam: Meaning “asked from God”.
- Sol: Meaning “sun”.
- Taj: Meaning “crown”.
- Tom: Meaning “twin”.
- Wes: Meaning “western stream”.
- Zac: The short form of Zachary that means “God has remembered”.
Short boy names are fantastic.
They”re easy to spell, pronounce, and remember.
What more could you ask for?
Why not check out our long list of short girl names as well?