On the hunt for the perfect strong baby boy name for your little man? Perfect for protectors, warriors, and mini heroes, here are the best strong boy names.
Your baby boy is your warrior, your protector ‒ kind, fearless, and perhaps a little rebellious.
So when it comes to choosing a name for a baby boy, you’ll want something that reflects strength, resilience, and heroics.
After all, a little boy needs a name that will grow with them as they become a strong and independent adult.
When looking for strong boy names, there are lots of options, from the traditional (hello, Andrew) to the more unusual strong boy names (bonjour, Duron).
Whether you’re looking for a rugged name, a classic moniker, or something a bit more modern, we’ve got all sorts of strong names just as special as your little guy.
Let’s get stuck in!
In this article: 📝
- Boy names that mean strong
- Boy names that mean protector
- Boy names that mean hero
- What is a powerful name for a boy?
- Strong unusual boy names
- What is a warrior name for a boy?
Boy names that mean strong
- Abelardo: (Ah-bell-arr-doh) A Spanish boy’s name meaning “noble” and “strong”. Can also be shortened to the sweet nickname Abe.
- Aimilios: Meaning “strength” in Greek.
- Aldric: (Awl-drik) One of many German masculine boy names, Aldric means “strong, mighty ruler”, and has roots in Old French.
- Anders: A Scandinavian name that means “strong”, popular in Denmark and Sweden. Another variation would be Anderson. Can be shortened to Andy.
- Angus: Originally spelled Aonghus or Aenghus, Angus is one of the more popular Gaelic names that mean “strength”, as well as “force” and “energy”. Angus also means ‘one choice’ ‒ perfect for the strong-willed baby boy.
- Armstrong: A more common surname that’s recently found its way as a masculine first name, Armstrong means (literally) “strong arms”. Who’d have thunk it?
- Arsenio: (Ahr-sen-ee-oh) A well-known Spanish and Italian boy’s name, Arsenio actually has roots in Greek, from the original name Arsenios, meaning “strong” or “virile”.
- Chasin: (Chah-son) One of our top unique strong baby boy names, Chasin means “strong” or “mighty” in ancient Hebrew. Can also be shortened to the popular name Chase.
- Conall: One of our top Irish baby names meaning “strong as a wolf” ‒ perfect if your little peanut has a penchant for howling at the moon.
- Cryf: Meaning “strong” in Welsh.
- Cryfder: Meaning “strength” in Welsh.
- Duron: An interesting name with roots in French, meaning “strong”.
- Ebert: (ee-bert or eh-bert) A short-but-sweet baby boy name meaning “brave” or “strong boar” in Old German.
- Eric: One of the more well-known baby boy names that mean “strong”, this is a bold Norse name meaning “ever mighty”. Your baby-to-be will join the likes of famous Erics like Eric Clapton, Eric Bana, and Eric Idle.
- Erős: Meaning “strong” in Hungarian.
- Ethan: (ee-than or eh-tan) A well-known boy’s name from the ancient Hebrew meaning “enduring” and “strong”.
- Farris: An Old English name meaning “strong as iron”. Or you could go for the slightly different spelling, Faris, meaning “knight” in Arabic.
- Ganghan: Meaning “strong” in Korean.
- Gibor or Gibbor: (gih-bohr or jhi-bohr) A courageous Hebrew name meaning “strong one”.
- Griffin: For something with a little more mythical meaning, Griffin is a Welsh name (also spelled Gruffudd), meaning “strong prince”. The griffin is also the legendary half-eagle, half-lion beast, known for fiercely guarding prized possessions.
- Henrick: A bold English name meaning “strong ruler”, for the baby boy who you know will always take charge!
- Jarek: (ya-rek or ja-rek) A tough Slavic boy’s name meaning “fierce” or “strong”.
- Jedrek: Meaning “strong” or “manly” in Polish.
- Imre: (ihm-ray) Popular in Hungary, this is one of the more bold boy’s names that mean “strength”.
- Kawan: A confident boy’s name meaning “strong” in Korean. Kawan also means “friend” in Swahili ‒ ideal for a baby boy you know will be a loyal friend to all.
- Kenzo: A Japanese name meaning “strong” and “healthy”, Kenzo is also a fashion brand admired by the likes of Jay Z, Beyoncé, Rihanna, and Lorde.
- Láidir: Meaning “strong” in Irish.
- Limbani: A name most popular in Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia, this Chewa moniker means ‘be strong’, so your baby boy never forgets his inner strength.
- Makin: (mah-kin) A Muslim and Arabic baby boy name meaning ‘strong’ or ‘firm’.
- Malakas: Meaning “strong” in Filipino.
- Maynard or Mainard: A name with roots in English, French, and German meaning “strength” and “bravery”.
- Nero: Sure, the Roman emperor Nero may not have the best steps for your baby boy to follow, but he’s certainly got one of the more strong Roman names, literally meaning “strong” in Latin.
- Njord: (n-yor-d) If your baby boy is born into a sea-faring family, or by the sea, Njord is the perfect strong name. From the Norse word meaning “strong”, Njord was also the Norse god of the sea.
- Olis: Similar to the more popular name Ellis, Olis is a different version, taking inspiration from the German word for “powerful” or “strong”.
- Quillon: A quirky Latin name, meaning “strong” or “crossing swords”. Can be shortened to Quill.
- Quinlan: Another name for both baby boys and girls, Quinlan is an Irish name meaning “strong” and “fit”. Can be shortened to Quin.
- Silen: An unusual strong boy name meaning “strong” in Bulgarian.
- Stark: The Starks were the steadfast rulers of Winterfell in the hit series Game of Thrones, and with no surprise: Stark means “strong” in German and “unyielding” in Scottish and English.
- Styrke: Meaning “strength” in Norwegian.
- Tsuyoi: Meaning “strong” in Japanese.
- Valentine: Not only a romantic name (perfect for babies born on or around St Valentine’s Day), Valentine comes from the Roman family name Valentinus, meaning “strong”.
- Valerian: (vah-lehr-ee-un) Another bold Latin name, Valerian means “strong” or “healthy”. Valerian is also a tall plant that can help people sleep ‒ here’s hoping your baby boy is a good sleeper!
- Warrick: An Old German baby boy name meaning “defending leader” or “strong ruler”. Can also be spelled as the Old English Warwick, which means “buildings by the weir” or “from the county of Warwickshire”.
- Wayan: One of our top powerful male names, from the Sanskrit word meaning “strength” and “energy”. Traditionally, Wayan is a name given to the firstborn child.
- Zale: A name for babies born by the sea, Zale means “strength of the sea” in Greek.
- Zubery or Zuberi: A bold Swahili name meaning “strong”. Perfect if you’re looking for a strong baby boy’s name beginning with ‘z’.
Boy names that mean protector
- Adarvan: Meaning “fire protector” in Persian.
- Aimon: Meaning “wealthy protector” in Irish.
- Amanpal: Meaning “protector of peace” in Indian.
- Ansel: Meaning “with divine protection” in German.
- Azim: A short but unforgettable boy’s name meaning “protector” or “defender” in Arabic.
- Eamon: Meaning “rich protector” in Irish.
- Elmo: Meaning “protector” in Italian.
- Faramund: Meaning “protection” in German.
- Fremont: Meaning “noble protector” in French and German.
- Hami: Meaning “protector” in Persian.
- Liam: Ideal for families with a Celtic or Gaelic background, this strong Irish name means “unwavering protector”.
- Osmond: Meaning “God protector” in Old English.
- *Rae: Meaning “protector” in Hebrew.
- Reinhold: Meaning “wise protector” in German.
- Sasha: From the Greek word for “protector”, this gender-neutral name works for boys, girls, and they-bies!
- Sigmund: Meaning “protection through victory” in German.
- Skoldolfr: Meaning “protector wolf” in Icelandic.
- Tedmond or Tedmund: One of our favorite boy’s names meaning “protector”, Tedmond is an Old English name meaning “protector of the land”. Strong nicknames include Ted, Teddy, and even Mondo.
- Vilem: Meaning “strong and resolute protector” in German.
- William: There’s a whole host of famous Williams to inspire your baby boy. William is a strong German name meaning “protector who is willing” or “fierce warrior”. There are also lots of great nicknames for William: Will, Bill, Billy, and Liam.
- Willis: Meaning “resolute protector” in Old English.
- Wilmot: Meaning “protection” in German.
Boy names that mean hero
- Akio: Meaning “manly hero” in Japanese.
- Areli: Meaning “hero” in Hebrew.
- Arsaces: Meaning “hero” in Persian.
- Arwr: Meaning “hero” in Welsh.
- Balder: Meaning “hero” in Norse.
- Barlas: A name we’re not so familiar with in our neck of the woods, but a popular boy’s name in Turkey. Barlas means “brave hero” and “chivalrous” in Turkey ‒ an inspirational name for your little peanut.
- Gaisgeach: Meaning “hero” in Scottish Gaelic.
- Geroy: Meaning “hero” in Russian.
- Hero: Why not?
- Hideo: Meaning “hero” in Japanese.
- Hīrō: Meaning “hero” in Japanese.
- Laoch: Meaning “hero” in Irish.
- Sankari: Meaning “hero” in Finnish.
What is a powerful name for a boy?
Whether you’ve just found out you’re having a boy, or you’re holding your newborn baby boy in your arms, you need a strong male name to inspire your little man for life.
- Alexander: A popular name meaning “defender of the people” in ancient Greek. Can be shortened to a myriad of strong baby boy names such as Zander, Xander, Xan, Lex, or Alex.
- Amell: (ah-mel) A Germanic name meaning “power of the eagle”, if you’re looking for badass names, you can’t do much better.
- Ande: (Ahn-deh) This baby boy will be a pillar of the community! A strong African boy’s name meaning “pillar”, Ande also means “manly and virile” in Greek.
- Aziel: (Ah-zee-el) or (Ay-zee-el) A powerful Biblical boy’s name meaning “God is my strength” in Hebrew.
- Barrett: Another surname that’s transformed into a popular boy’s name, Barrett is a name that means “strength of a bear” in Old German. Perfect for mama bear’s little cub!
- Bertrand: A strong but beautiful baby boy’s name meaning “shield” or “bright shield” in German.
- Chidike: (Chee-dee-kay) A popular name in Nigeria, meaning “God is strong” in Igbo.
- Conrad: A rugged German boy’s name meaning “brave, bold ruler”. For the baby boy who’s destined for great things!
- Denzel: An Old English boy’s name from Cornwall, meaning “stronghold”. For the baby boy who you know will be steadfast (dare we say stubborn?).
- Farrell: A heroic boy’s name meaning “courage” or “courageous man” in Irish.
- Fergus or Ferguson: A strong Scottish boy’s name meaning “supreme man” ‒ for the baby boy you hold in the highest esteem.
- Gabriel: A Biblical Hebrew name meaning “God is my strength”, an angelic name for the perfect bouncing baby boy.
- Garrett: An Irish name meaning “spear strength” that once reigned at the top of the baby name charts, but has since dipped ‒ we think it’s due for a revival!
- Haile: (hi-lee) An unusual Amharic name from Ethiopia, meaning “power” or “might”.
- Idris: A poetic, powerful Welsh name meaning “fiery leader” or “prophet”. This strong baby boy name has been climbing the charts ever since a certain Idris Elba graced our screens. Easily one of our favorite boy names that mean “leader”.
- Kendrick: An Old English name meaning “royal power” or “fiery”, perfect for a baby boy with a shocking flame of bright red hair.
- Leonard or Leonidas: Who can forget the Spartan king and all-round badass, Leonidas, from the film 300? Not only are Leonidas and Leonard rooted in strong Greek history, but they also mean “strength of the lion” in German.
- Oswald: This name hasn’t appeared on our charts of the top baby boy names recently, but we think it’s due to soon. Oswald means “divine power” in Old English, and can be shortened to Oz, which is super-cute!
- Richard: If you’re after a popular strong boy’s name, Richard is perfect! From the Old German word for “brave ruler”, Richard can also be shortened to Rick or Rich.
- Sisu: A popular name in Finland meaning “strength”, “willpower”, and “tenacity”, so your baby boy knows they have all the determination they’ll ever need.
- Thor: One of the most badass names in the Marvel Universe! Grant your baby boy the gift of the strongest name in Norse mythology, along with the power to wield the mighty hammer, Mjölnir. Thor means “thunderous” in ancient Norse, so this name would be perfect for a baby with an impressive set of lungs!
Strong unusual boy names
Want your baby boy to stand out from the crowd with one of our strong boy names?
Here are our favorite unique boy’s names meaning strength and courage:
- Ajax: (Ay-jacks) One of our favorite powerful boy names with Grecian roots meaning “eagle”.
- Apollo: Meaning “strength” in Greek.
- Godric: Calling all Harry Potter fans! Godric is an old Anglo-Saxon name meaning “power of God”, as well as the name of one of the fabled founders of Hogwarts, the ever-brave Godric Griffindor.
- Power: This has to be top of our list for unique but strong boy names. With a name like Power, you know your baby boy will achieve amazing things.
- Pruitt: (prew-it) This gender-neutral name comes from the Old French word proux meaning “brave” and “valiant”. Plus, Pru (or Prew) is a lovely nickname.
- Sewell: Meaning “strong sea” in Old English.
- Uzziah: (oo-zye-ah) The tenth King of Judea, Uzziah is also an ancient Hebrew name meaning “God is my strength” or “God is my power”.
- Xabat: (zah-bat) A Spanish name meaning “savior”, for the baby boy that changed your life.
- Yashvir or Yashveer: An Indian baby boy name meaning ‘brave’ and “glorious”, for the baby who’s a shining light.
What is a warrior name for a boy?
On the hunt for some tough-sounding boy names?
Here are our top names meaning fearless and tough boy’s names for your brave little boy:
- Andrew: One of the more popular names meaning “warrior”, this English name means “strong warrior”. Can be shortened to Andy or Drew.
- Chase: One of the more popular American-English names that mean “fearless hunter”. Perfect for a tenacious baby boy who knows what he wants and won’t stop until he gets it.
- Cliff, Clifford, or Clifton: An Old English name meaning “brave, daring, and bold”. Certainly a fearless name for a baby boy.
- Dustin: One of our favorite boy names meaning warrior, this is an Old English name for boys and, more recently, girls, meaning “brave warrior” or “fighter”. For the baby that might not have had an easy journey to get here.
- Einarr: (eye-nar) An old Norse name meaning “lone warrior”, linked to the warriors in Valhalla.
- Evander: A Scottish name meaning “warrior of the bow”, from the Norse name Eivor or Ivor.
- Ewan: Another Scottish name that means “warrior who is young”.
- Kamau: (kah-maw) A soft but strong boy’s name meaning “quiet warrior” in Bantu in Kenya.
- Koa: (koh-ah) One of our favorite boy names that mean “brave”, “bold”, and “fearless”. Also a strong nickname for the names Kekoa, Kainoa, and Nakoa.
- Malin: An Old English name meaning “little strong warrior”, perfect for boys and girls.
- Mel: A powerful English name meaning “he who is daring”, perfect for a risk-taker with a lot of confidence.
There you have it! Our top strong baby boy names for your baby-to-be.
Don’t forget to share your favorite warrior names, badass names, and strong boy names with our community on Peanut!