Looking for Mother’s Day ideas? Treat your mom like a queen (or spoil yourself) with these 50 fun things to do this Mother’s Day.
Whether you’re after active Mother’s Day activities, pampering things to do on Mother’s Day, or relaxing places to go for Mother’s Day, we’ve got you covered.
In this article: 📝
- What should I do for Mother’s Day 2022?
- What can I do for Mother’s Day at home?
- How do I pamper my mom for Mother’s Day?
- What can I do for Mother’s Day with no money?
- What is the best thing to do on Mother’s Day?
What should I do for Mother’s Day 2022?
So, what to do for Mother’s Day 2022?
Let’s start with the basics:
- Get a mother’s day card: Bonus points if you make it yourself, but we also love this pop-up flowers Mother’s Day card, which doubles as a bouquet of tulips!
- Clean and tidy the house: Whether you’re living with your mom or not, spending an hour or two dusting, vacuuming, and polishing (especially while she’s out of the house) will surely bring a smile to mom’s face.
- Give her flowers: Yup, they’re a Mother’s Day staple, but this also makes a great Mother’s Day activity ‒ why not book a flower-arranging class for you and mom nearby?
- Breakfast in bed: Another Mother’s Day classic, but breakfast in bed is a must if you’re living with your mom or if they’re nearby. Need some Mother’s Day ideas for breakfast? How about pancakes, croissants, smoked salmon bagels, eggs florentine, or an omelet? Think elegant ‒ after all, moms are queens for the day.
- Visit your local farmer’s market: Stocking up on some locally-grown, farm-fresh foods to prepare mom’s Mother’s Day lunch ‒ mom deserves the best.
- Look after your siblings: If you’re the eldest of a bunch, and you’re old enough to look after your brothers and sisters (if they need looking after, of course!), how about giving your mom some peace and quiet by taking them off her hands for the afternoon?
- Start a mom and child book club: This is a fantastic Mother’s Day idea for literary mamas ‒ pick a book each month, then set aside some time to chat about what you both thought of it. Need some Mother’s Day book ideas? How about ‘Where’d You Go, Bernadette’, ‘Little Fires Everywhere’, ‘Trail of Secrets’, or ‘Fortune’s Daughter’.
- Write a thank-you letter to mom: Let her know just how much you mean to her.
- Dinner and a movie: Why not take your mom on a ‘date’? If you’re struggling to find the perfect things to do on Mother’s Day, keep it simple. It’s all about spending time with your mom to show how much you care.
- Plan a vacation: Family vacations don’t just stop when you become an adult. Plan a day trip or even a vacation abroad, with your mom.
- Write a book of your mom’s life: Yes, this one takes quite a bit more time than the other Mother’s Day ideas on this list, but if you’re a whiz with words, even a short story about your mom’s life will make her feel special.
- Make your mom your pen-pal: Not just for older moms ‒ everyone loves getting a letter. It’s more meaningful than a Facebook message or email, and makes a great Mother’s Day idea if you’re unable to travel to your mom.
- Search for ‘Mother’s Day activities near me’: There may be a special Mother’s Day afternoon tea offer, a moms-only botanical garden tour, or a special museum exhibit dedicated to moms throughout history.
- Book a cooking class: Either just for yourself (to cook mom a gourmet meal) or with mom, too. Perfect if your mom takes pride in her cooking.
- Treat mom to a night on the town: Once you become a mom, it can be harder to go ‘out-out’. If your mom loves to boogie, go for a VIP experience at a nice nightclub so she can tear up the dancefloor in style.
What can I do for Mother’s Day at home?
If your mom’s a homebody or she’d just rather spend the day at home, that doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate Mother’s Day.
Here are our favorite Mother’s Day activities to do without leaving the home:
Let mom stay in bed as long as she wants: Sometimes, a lie-in is exactly what your mom wants for Mother’s Day.
- Get crafty: If your mom likes to get her hands stuck into an arty, crafty task, take your pick from these things to do on Mother’s Day together ‒ scrapbooking, canvas painting, knitting, making a wreath, candle making, weaving, or jewelry making.
- At-home spa day: We’re talking a facial, manicure, pedicure, bubble bath, face mask… The works! We love this lavender spa gift set for ultimate relaxation. Don’t forget to play spa music and light some candles for added ambiance!
- Family game night: Get the whole family together for a fun board game. Take photos throughout for mom to look back on, too. After some Mother’s Day games? How about the classics: The Game of Life, Monopoly, Sorry!, Scrabble, or a puzzle? Or test your mom’s knowledge with Do You Really Know Your Family?.
- Cook for mom: Find out her favorite meal, get the best ingredients, and serve it to her ‒ flowers and candles are a must for that extra-special touch. Or you could follow her best family recipe. But you have to follow it to the letter.
- Afternoon tea: Whether you have the time to cut the teeny tiny sandwiches, bake your own scones and cakes, and brew the tea, or you order out and serve it in style, mom will love being spoilt with high tea at home. If the sun’s shining, why not take your high tea outside as a picnic?
- Watch old home videos and photos: A healthy dose of nostalgia makes for a beautiful Mother’s Day activity.
- Make a family tree: Trace back mom’s family as far back as you can, either putting together the family tree together or making it yourself ahead of time, as a Mother’s Day gift.
- Bake together: It’s a wholesome, sweet Mother’s Day activity you can do together ‒ a classic for a reason.
- Order mom’s favorite takeout: Tight on time or not the best in the kitchen? Or maybe mom prefers takeout to home-cooked meals. There’s nothing wrong with ordering takeout to spoil mom this Mother’s Day.
- Host a family BBQ: The sun is shining ‒ any excuse for a BBQ!
💐 More Mother’s Day ideas: 80 Thoughtful First Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
How can I surprise my mom?
How about some surprising things to do on Mother’s Day?
Amaze and astound your mom this Mother’s Day with these surprising Mother’s Day activities:
- Cameo shout-out from her favorite celebrity: If you’re not familiar with Cameo, it’s basically a way for celebrities to make personalized video messages for their fans. So if mom has a celeb crush or someone she admires, make her day with a Cameo message.
- Mom, this is your life: Host a This is Your Life celebration of your mom and her achievements (yes, you count as an achievement!).
- Throw a Mother’s Day party: Invite friends and family to celebrate your amazing mom. Get a playlist of your mom’s favorite tunes, serve mom’s favorite foods, and (if mom won’t mind), have your guests dress up as mom!
How do I pamper my mom for Mother’s Day?
Yes, moms are queens all year-round, but on Mother’s Day, they are Queens with a capital Q.
Treat your mom like the royalty she is with these pampering things to do on Mother’s Day:
- Book a spa day: Try searching for ‘Mother’s Day events near me’ for any special offers for moms on Mother’s Day. Massages, facials, jacuzzis ‒ the works.
- Treat mom to a gourmet dining experience: Tasting menus or wine-paired menus are extravagant ways to pamper your mom this Mother’s Day.
- Book a private yoga session: If mom’s a keen yogi, how about a private yoga class, just for the two of you.
- Treat mom to a new hairdo: Mom had the same ‘do for years? If she’s game, book an appointment with a hairdresser to switch things up! While you’re at it…
- Book a personal shopper for your mom: If mom wears the same three outfits day-in, day-out, she might like to be treated to a personal shopper to pick out some new outfits. Next…
- Book a make-up artist: Whether mom wears make-up every day or tends to go barefaced if she feels like getting dolled up, why not book a local MUA? Then…
- Have a photoshoot: Once mom’s dolled up with a new ‘do and new style, make her feel like a model with a Mother’s Day photo shoot! Whether you take snaps yourself or hire a photographer, some fun Mother’s Day photo shoot ideas could be: the two of you hugging, mom amongst her favorite flowers, mom sipping a cocktail, or even the whole family laughing together.
- Visit a winery, gin distillery, or a brewery: There’s nothing wrong with enjoying a tipple every now and then! Whatever your mom’s drink of choice, why not book a visit to your local distillery as a fun Mother’s Day activity?
- Take mom on a day out: Visit a town mom’s never been to before, exploring the local area, restaurants, and shops.
- Shopping spree: Set a budget and join mom on a shopping trip. Whether she prefers antiquing or browsing the latest trends, pick some shops you know she’ll love.
- Rent mom’s dream car: If mom’s a motorhead, rent her favorite car so she can travel in style.
- Go to the theater: Feeling cultured? Book a theater trip ‒ comedy, tragedy, drama, musical… Whatever you think mom will enjoy most.
What can I do for Mother’s Day with no money?
If money’s a little tight or you’re saving the pennies, you can still treat mom like a queen!
Here are our free things to do on Mother’s Day:
- Go camping: If mom’s an outdoorsy type, taking a family trip out camping can be a lovely way to spend some quality time together.
- Visit a botanical garden: There are a lot of botanical gardens in the US and UK that are free to visit, so take in the sights and smells with your mom.
- Sort mom’s to-do list: Hands up who loves writing to-do lists! But who loves actually doing things on their to-do list? Not many of us. If there are tasks that your mom’s been meaning to do for a while, why not do them for her, to take the pressure off?
- Visit a museum: Most museums are free and make the perfect Mother’s Day activity if your mom’s a history buff.
- Help mom out in the garden: De-weeding, planting, trimming, and re-potting plants in the garden is a lovely Mother’s Day activity together. Bonus points for matching gardening outfits!
- Go to church together: If your mom’s religious, attending a Sunday service on Mother’s Day would mean the world to her.
- Volunteer together: Helping out others is one of the best Mother’s Day activities to do as a family.
- Make mom a playlist: Putting together a playlist of all her favorite songs and artists, or songs that remind you of her is a thoughtful and free way of showing mom how much you care.
- Go for a walk: Whether you head to the hills, the beach, or town, taking a walk with mom is a great way to get out of the house, see the sights, and spend time together this Mother’s Day.
What is the best thing to do on Mother’s Day?
Whatever you choose as things to do on Mother’s Day, the single best thing you can do this year ‒ and any year ‒ is to talk to your mom.
Sharing gossip, tears, laughter, stories, and history is the most meaningful Mother’s Day activity you can do together.
There you have it! 50 fun things to do on Mother’s Day ‒ ideas for Mother’s Day activities to show your mom just how much you care.
What are your plans for Mother’s Day? Share them with our Peanut community ‒ we know you’ll fit right in!
🌷 More from The 411:
3/5 Women Find Mother’s Day Emotionally Triggering
Our 40 Favorite Inspirational Motherhood Quotes
50 Affirmations for Moms
37 “Miss You” ‒ Mother’s Day in Heaven Quotes
50 Inspirational Quotes for Kids
70+ Inspiring International Women’s Day Quotes
Mother and Daughter Tattoos: 42 Design Ideas
50 Parenting Quotes to Remember
48 Memorable Quotes About Daughters
20 Happy Daughter’s Day Wishes and Quotes
34 Quotes to Empower Women
Comforting a Grieving Mother
How Can I Help Women & Children in Ukraine?
230 Mother’s Day Quotes for Mom
200+ Mother’s Day Cards Messages to Make Her Day
When is Father’s Day 2022? Father’s Day Date 2022