Tongue twisters for kids have got it all — educational value, fun, and silliness, all rolled into one sometimes-impossible-to-say package.
Training your tongue improves pronunciation and helps you focus on the specific sounds that make up the words you say.
They’re also a great tool to encourage a love of language and reading.
Plus, tongue twisters provide much-needed stretching for this all-important muscle.
(Who knew that this was one body part that needs exercise just like the others do?)
That’s why professional actors and public speakers use tongue twisters to warm up their mouths before they step on a stage or podium.
Whether your little one has an important presentation coming up for school, or you’d like to just get those muscles moving, we’ve got you covered.
From the most famous, to the most challenging — to the most ridiculous — tongue twisters tell tantalizing tales for the tiniest of tots to the most talented of teenagers.
In this article: 📝
- What is the most famous tongue twister?
- Popular tongue twisters for kids
- Funny tongue twisters for kids
- Short tongue twisters for kids
- What are the easiest tongue twisters?
What is the most famous tongue twister?
Well, there’s some debate on what the most famous tongue twister is.
But one that makes the top of many a list has to do with a little creature called a woodchuck.
The big question that’s posed about this furry little friend?
How much wood they would toss if this was something that they could actually do. It goes like this:
- How much wood would a woodchuck chuck
if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could,
and chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would
if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
Popular tongue twisters for kids
And here are some other popular twisters that top the charts:
- She sells seashells by the seashore
The seashells she sells are seashells, for sure.
- Betty Botter bought some butter
But she said the butter’s bitter
If I put it in my batter, it will make my batter bitter
But a bit of better butter will make my batter better.
- Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
- Round the rugged rocks the ragged rascals ran.
- You know New York, you need New York, you know you need unique New York.
- Rubber baby buggy bumpers.
- Swan swam over the sea, swim, swan, swim!
Swan swam back again well swum, swan!
- The great Greek grape growers grow great Greek grapes.
- A sailor went to sea to see what he could see. And all he could see was sea, sea, sea.
➡️ You might also like: 98 Never Have I Ever Questions for Kids
Funny tongue twisters for kids
Warning: giggles may ensue.
- Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear.
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn’t very fuzzy, was he?
- Smelly shoes and socks shock sisters.
- If one doctor doctors another doctor,
Then which doctor is doctoring the doctored doctor? Does the doctor who doctors the doctor, doctor the doctor the way the doctor he is doctoring doctors? Or does he doctor the doctor the way the doctor who doctors doctors?
- I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish,
But if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won’t wish the wish you wish to wish.
- A skunk sat on a stump and thunk the stump stunk, but the stump thunk the skunk stunk.
- Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?
- If two witches would watch two watches, which witch would watch which watch?
- Susie works in a shoeshine shop. Where she shines, she sits, and where she sits, she shines.
- Santa’s short suit shrunk.
- Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread.
Spread it thick, say it quick!
Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread.
Spread it thicker, say it quicker!
Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread.
Don’t eat with your mouth full!
- I thought a thought.
But the thought I thought
Wasn’t the thought I thought I thought.
If the thought I thought I thought,
Had been the thought I thought,
I wouldn’t have thought I thought.
- If practice makes perfect and perfect needs practice, I’m perfectly practiced and practically perfect.
- Any noise annoys an oyster, but a noisy noise annoys an oyster more.
- If a dog chews shoes, whose shoes does he choose?
- Kittens knitting mittens keep kazooing in the king’s kitchen.
- How many yaks could a yak pack, pack if a yak pack could pack yaks?
- A tutor who tooted the flute tried to tutor two tooters to toot.
Said the two to the tutor, “Is it harder to toot or to tutor two tooters to toot?”
Short tongue twisters for kids
Try to repeat each three times.
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.
- How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?
- The sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick.
- I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch.
- Nine nice night nurses nursing nicely.
- Red leather, yellow leather.
- Red Bulb Blue Bulb.
- Send toast to ten tense stout saints’ ten tall tents.
- Fresh fried fish.
- Many an anemone sees an enemy anemone.
- Eleven benevolent elephants.
- Gobbling gargoyles gobbled gobbling goblins.
- We surely shall see the sunshine soon.
- Double bubble gum, bubbles double.
- Six slippery snails slid slowly seaward.
- Crisp crusts crackle and crunch.
- Truly rural.
- Twelve twins twirled twelve twigs.
- Six thick thistle sticks. Six thick thistles stick.
- Little Lillian lets lazy lizards lie along the lily pads.
- Five frantic frogs fled from fifty fierce fishes.
- A synonym for cinnamon is a cinnamon synonym.
- Two tiny tigers take two taxis to town.
- The slimy snake slithered down the sandy Sahara.
- Pre-shrunk shirts.
- Specific Pacific.
- Light the night light tonight.
- Scissors sizzle, thistles sizzle.
- Green glass globes glow greenly.
- He threw three free throws.
- Selfish shellfish.
What are the easiest tongue twisters?
If you’re looking for some options for younger kids, here are our favorites. It can be fun to add some actions to the mix.
- Flash message.
- Snap, crackle, pop.
- Six sticky skeletons.
- Which witch is which?
- I saw a kitten eating chicken in the kitchen.
- She sees cheese.
- Purple Paper People.
- Kitten in the kitchen.
- Friendly fleas and fireflies.
- Zebras zig and zebras zag.
- He threw three balls.
- A happy hippo hopped and hiccuped.
- Betty’s big bunny bobbled by the blueberry bush.
- The big bug bit the little beetle.
- Daddy Draws Doors.
- Toy boat. Try boat. Toy boat. Try boat.
Have fun getting your teeth around these tantalizing tongue-twisters for kids!
🧒 More fun games for kids from The 411:
16 Fun Activities for 1-Year-Olds
Activities for 2-Year-Olds: 13 Ideas
Activities for 3-Year-Olds: 20 Ideas
Activities for 4-Year-Olds: 22 Ideas
22 Outdoor Activities for Kids
21 Indoor Activities for Kids
100+ ‘Would You Rather?’ Questions for Kids
50 Funny Jokes for Kids
Charades for Kids: 170 Ideas
60 Hilarious Birthday Jokes for Kids
8 Best Deodorant for Kids: Chosen By Real Moms