Beside picturesque landscapes, ancient castles and a rich history, Wales has a beautiful culture to offer. Interestingly, Welsh baby names often come from the Celtic language. Popular in Wales and beyond, Welsh names have strong and interesting meanings - perfect for your baby-to-be.
Whether you’re looking for a unique name that honors your Welsh heritage, or a traditional name that has Welsh roots, we’ve got you covered with the ultimate list of Welsh baby names.
In this article: 📝
- What are common Welsh baby names?
- 10 common Welsh names for boys:
- 10 common Welsh names for girls:
- What are unique and rare Welsh names?
What are common Welsh baby names?
Looking for a popular name that’s unique at the same time? Look no further.
10 common Welsh names for boys:
- Andreas: Welsh version of Andrew, strong, manly.
- Aron: Celtic Saint.
- Arthur: The legend himself. Perfect for your little King.
- Brad: Broad clearing.
- Cedric: Generous.
- Dylan: Son of the sea and waves.
- Harri: Welsh version of Harry.
- Lewis: Lion-like.
- Owen: Youth.
- Reece: Enthusiasm, passion, ardor. Variation of Rhys.
10 common Welsh names for girls:
- Anna: The name of one of King Arthur’s sisters.
- Caitrin: Pure and clear.
- Carys: Beloved one.
- Ceri: To love.
- Deryn: Bird.
- Dona: Goddess in Welsh mythology.
- Gracie: God’s favor, beauty, kindness and mercy.
- Gwyneth: Derived from the Kingdom of Gwynedd.
- Meredith: Great ruler. Popularized by Grey’s Anatomy.
- Morgan: Sea-born.
What are unique and rare Welsh names?
Want a name that’s extra special for your little one?! Here you go.
Rare Welsh baby boy names:
- Afan: Celtic Saint.
- Amlodd: Grandfather of King Arthur.
- Bowen: Son of Owen.
- Bran: Raven.
- Celyn: Holly in Welsh.
- Darren: From Airelle.
- Eryl: Short and sweet.
- Idris: Ardent lord.
- **Iver: **Fighter with bow.
- Martyn: Warrior of Mars.
- Morgan: Protector of the seas.
- Niclas: Victory of the people.
- Ninian: Welsh saint.
- Oswalt: Divine power.
- Pembroke: High land area.
➡️ Don’t miss our full list of Welsh baby boy names.
Rare Welsh baby girl names:
- Abertha: Sacrifice.
- Cari: Friend.
- Caryl: Love.
- Daron: Oak.
- Del: Meaning pretty.
- Efa: So cute!
- Eilir: Alluring and spontaneous.
- Eilonwy: Gorgeous princess, sounds about right!
- Enid: Soul or life.
- Gladys: Princess.
- Glenda: Holy, good.
- Guinevere: A Welsh classic, meaning white shadow.
- Lola: Violet, beauty.
- Seren: Star in Welsh Celtic.
- Teagan: Beautiful.
➡️ Don’t miss our full list of Welsh baby girl names.
👶 More baby names:
72 Celtic Baby Names
129 Scottish Baby Names
150 of The Most Cool and Rare Baby Names
49 Bellissimi Italian Baby Names
200+ Spanish Baby Names for Your Bebé to Be
60 Magnifique French Baby Names
50+ Russian Baby Names for Inspiration
60 Japanese Baby Names
The Most Popular Baby Names on Peanut
166 Greek Baby Names
African Baby Names
58 Biblical Baby Names
70 Chinese Baby Names
71 American Baby Names
165 Norse Baby Names for Boys and Girls
The Best 200 British Baby Names for Little Ones