M
M
last month

Feeling conflicted…

So we had our presentation scan yesterday at exactly 36 weeks and baby girl is still breech 😔 We met with the Dr straight afterwards and went through everything they could do. We opted for the C-Section over an ECV and all I have done since yesterday is cry. I don’t know why I’m so emotional but I feel like I am doubting my decision and wondering if I should have gone for the ECV, even though I was really unsure about it? I have my midwife on Tuesday so I will talk to her about how I’m feeling and the Dr told me yesterday that I still have time to change my mind, plus there is still time for her to turn, as she said it’s very common for them to turn at the last minute. I’m just feeling very conflicted and I don’t know if I want to change my mind 🫠 Anyone else who has been in this position felt like this? Xx
Like
Share
  • Share

Show your support

last month

I’m in the same boat as you. 36w on Tuesday, having a scan to see if baby is still breech. We’re planning a home birth but if he’s breech and I have an unsuccessful ECV then I’ll have to have a c section. Even though I don’t know the outcome, I feel like I’m already mourning the birth of my first born, specifically the opportunity to birth vaginally. It’s really hard coming to terms with the lack of options and feeling as though choice has been taken away. Of course getting baby here safely is so important but for me having a holistic birth is so important and transformative, and a c section is totally the opposite - medical and sterile! C sections is major abdominal surgery! I want to avoid it at all costs unless it’s an emergency. Is there any way you can speak to your midwife sooner? It’s hard knowing that “there’s a chance they’ll turn last minute” because you want to give them all the time in world but there’s no telling how much time is enough! You’re not alone in this ❤️

last month

@Megan if you’re feeling conflicted do the ECV, there’s very little risk posed to baby & most negative things you hear are from people who never tried it or it failed to turn their baby. They should give you Terbutaline to relax your uterus and prevent it from contracting and you can opt for an epidural or spinal which actually proves to have higher success rates in combination with Terbutaline. The physicians will monitor the babies heart rate after each attempt to make sure baby is not in distress. There may be a temporary fluctuation in babies heart rate due to being manipulated however, they keep you afterwards for a bit to make sure things calm down. My advice, watch some videos online & listen to some podcasts that talk about ECV. In apple podcast you can type in “ECV” or “External Cephalic Version” and several episodes discussing ECV from different sources will pop up.

last month

I am in the same situation as you. Found out baby was breech at 34 weeks and tried everything under the sun to get her to turn. By 36 week scan she was still breech and ECV was offered. I looked at the RCOG stats and after a lot of deliberation and tears decided it wasn’t worth it for 50/50 chance of her turning. My baby is measuring big (97th centile) so even if she did turn I would be looking at an induction anyway along with shoulder dystocia risk factors. I’m now booked for an elective c-section 2 days before my ‘due’ date. I didn’t make the decision lightly and I still feel really upset that I won’t get the chance to experience labour, but if it’s the safest thing for us both then that’s what I need to focus on. My advice would be to seek out positive planned c-section stories and chat about it with your loved ones so they know how you’re feeling. It took me a couple of weeks to get comfortable with it.

last month

Thank you so much girls for sharing. It’s made me feel a little better ❤️ I just think yesterday was such a heavy day and a lot of info thrown our way so I think that’s why I am feeling a tad overwhelmed xx

last month

I would try and wait for her to turn, my baby was breech but he has now turned, I kept going on my birthing ball and trying not to slouch when I sit down as these things can make baby turn

last month

I am in same position but I have opted for the ECV... I am doubting whether I made the right choice. Its only 50% success rate but I know 3 people who've had them and 2 were successful, 1 wasn't due to baby's bum being too far down. They've also booked my c section in just in case it isn't successful.

last month

If it helps, I went for a c section for other reasons. There was only one other mum to be on the list for electives that day. Her baby was breech. The midwife went to check on her and see who was going first. Her baby had turned that morning so she didn’t need a section. I was terrified of having a section but it was ok in the end. The pain isn’t fun after, but it’s not as bad as I thought it would be

last month

Sorry ur feeling like this, i had the turning process done to try and move my breech baby. It wasnt very nice, it didnt work and i said i would never take that otion again. A section can be just as nice an experience as a natural birth. If u r doubting urself i would make the appointment rhen you have covered all areas/options x

last month

Been much less likely to work! Trust yourself and your decision, these anxieties will be a distant memory when we have our babies in our arms! X

last month

Im now 38 weeks and found out baby was breech at 36. We also declined ECV based on likelihood of it working first time and discussions with my father in law who is a retired obstetrics doctor (he wasn’t exactly singing the praises of ECV!) I’m now also awaiting a c section. It is an absolute emotional rollercoaster and I found myself last night thinking should I call up and say I’ll try the ECV? But then other times feeling like I’m coming to terms with that a section is happening… I’ve rationalised it as being the safest way for baby to enter the world now and as mentioned above an elective is so much more controlled than an emergency one of which there is a fairly significant chance of needing if I went for a vaginal breech or vaginal birth following ECV. What also helped me to make my decision (if you are in a position to do so) was paying for a private growth/presentation scan. My baby is measuring quite large and her bum is fully engaged in my pelvis therefore ECV would of

last month

I’m the exact same, I had a growth scan and baby girl was breech on 18th May and I was 36+1 at that point, the consultant was advising for us to go for the ECV and to get it booked in straight away. We had the midwife the following day so asked her about it and she said to look on RCOG website about them as they have a load of stats on ECV. I had a look and I wasn’t comfortable with the odds, the only benefit was that you’d have a vaginal birth and that was pretty much it. Even then it could result in c section. We went to the consultant on Thursday and booked in our c section with a view that if she turns on her own we’d get sent home and wait it out but we said we wanted baby girl to be as safe as possible and personally the ECV seems a little scary 😳 I’ve been doubting myself a little on it mind, thinking should I have opted for that and am I being selfish picking the non evasive option and not going through “labour” so I’m feeling the same. It’s completely up to you ✔️

last month

I didn't have a breech baby but I did have an elective c section (no medical reason) I suppose I'm just here to say please don't fear the c section if that's what you choose/what it takes. A planned c section is nothing like the horror stories and can be really quick, calm and positive. Happy to answer any questions here or privately.xx

Read more on Peanut