I’ve just had a phone call with a consultant after having a growth scan last week where baby was measuring a bit big. I’m 37+5. I’ve been told they recommend delivering her soon to avoid her being any bigger and causing issues in labour. I’ve been offered a choice of being induced or having a planned section. Does anyone have experience with either induction or a planned section? I’m so on the fence I don’t know which route I’d prefer!
Read more on PeanutThe views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of Peanut.
Learn more about our guidelines.
I would ask more questions. Is the baby potentially being big the only issue? Then I would politely decline, scans can be way off at estimating weight and size.
But if there’s anything else and I ended up agreeing then I would always try induction before C-section. Major surgery being my last option.
Good luck! You almost have her here 🥰

you can have a larger baby and still have a totally safe and natural labour. i have first hand experience in this field, as i had over a 10lb baby with no interventions or issues. most important thing is for you to be calm and confident in your decision. inductions can be scary / unnecessary and a c section is a major surgery

Research the stats on complications with delivering big babies naturally. It’s not actually a very high risk to warrant drastic changes to your plan.
At 30+ weeks, scans become less accurate as baby is too big for proper measurements. So many women birth large babies!
There is no fault in you, your body created a bigger baby so your body will know how to birth the baby it created. Thats my opinion.
If there’s any more medical reasons to need a csection then that’s a diff story.
If I was left with no choice but to have a hormone drip induction I would honestly demand that I get an epidural first or else I’m not having it because induced contractions are horrrific in my experience. X

Agree with what the others have said above! The other thing to research when considering an induction is your Bishop score at the time they want to induce you and see how that’s looking xx

I agree with the above, personally I wouldn’t interfere if the only “issue” is a big baby. Also was on hormone drip for different reason, induced contractions were hell on earth, I would also do it with epidural from the beginning, (I only asked for one when I was constantly throwing up from the pain).
But my main advice is do your own research, so you can be absolutely comfortable with Your choice, however you decide :)

So the induction and vaginal birth will be more painful in the short term (the labour part), but you will recover quickly and be able to enjoy your baby, drive, do things. Though you can have an epidural if you like to stop the pain.
The c section is less painful in the short term as you are numbed but much more challenging to recover from than a c section, usually including 6 weeks of blood thinners.
I’d go for the induction x

They often try to make these arrangements for their own convenience rather than any risk to you and they create more risk by intervening. So unless they can really justify a reason that's specific to your situation, I'd recommend declining. Baby's ready when they're ready and they're never too big for you. Labor difficulties are more commonly caused by the baby's position rather than the size. Get on all fours to clean the floor to get them in the optimal position and then practice some assisted squats to get them engaged in your pelvis. Everything will happen naturally that way

I was offered the same, or neither. After a lot of thinking, reading and talking it through I've gone with c section which is booked for 39 + 4. I'd recommend reading about the big baby study and opinions on that etc. to make your own informed decision. Request another conversation with a consultat if that would help. X

I was just offered the choice of this due to repeated unexplained bleeding!
I've decided to opt for a C-section which is happening on Thursday, and I cannot explain the sense of relief I feel.
I don't know if it's because I've got an end in sight, or because it means I don't have to spend 3 weeks in limbo worrying about another bleed or spontaneous labour, but it's definitely the right decision for me.
I'm absolutely nervous as hell about the planned section itself, but for me it felt better than the idea of being poked and prodded anymore, or the thought of going through vaginal labour to end up rushed into a section anyway, (possible higher risk of me needing one due to unexplained bleeds!)

Hey hope you’re ok and not feeling totally overwhelmed! I’m in exactly same boat! Measuring slightly bigger and have booked in for an induction, however I’m worried the induction won’t be successful and just go on for a few days 🤦🏼♀️x