Induction or elective c section

I’m really torn between going ahead with an induction at 39 weeks or changing my mind and having a planned C-section, and I’d love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

I’m a first-time mum and originally wanted a planned C-section, mainly because I have a strong family history of very fast labours. After speaking to my consultant, I became more comfortable with trying an induction.

The proposed plan is 39+0, potentially skipping the balloon if my cervix is favourable, having an epidural early, breaking my waters and giving things around 1–2 hours to get going. I’ve been told that if there’s little/no cervical progress, we can discuss a C-section, and that I can change my mind about continuing at any point.

My biggest concern is that I REALLY want to avoid forceps/ventouse. If an assisted delivery was being recommended and there was time to safely do a C-section, I would personally prefer a C-section.

I’m worried about a situation where I reach the point of wanting/needing a C-section, but the unit is very busy and there’s a delay getting to theatre I’ve also just had an 11-hour wait in maternity triage for leaking fluid/reduced movements. I completely understand that women who are seriously unwell have to be prioritised, and I’ve had some lovely experiences with the maternity team, but seeing how stretched the unit was has made me question how accessible that “Plan B” would actually be during an induction.

Read more on Peanut

The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of Peanut.

Learn more about our guidelines.
Add a comment
Avatar

If you think you’ll have a fast labour why go for induction? Did they explain to you the higher risk of interventions, higher pain, and higher risk of emergency c section?

Avatar

What exactly is making you concerned with a vontouse birth? X

Avatar

I am in a similar situation and have opted for a planned c section at 39 weeks over a planned induction.

Personally for me I was more comfortable with the predictability and felt better with just the c section set of risks to consider, with induction I just had too many possible risks and scenarios/outcomes to consider that I did not like similarly to how you are suggesting.
I feel really happy with my choice, hope you manage to feel comfortable with whatever you decide❤️

Avatar

Literally confused X
I would choose neither. Birth is the most natural process and we women are literally made to do this. Why meddle with the process? The more we intervene, the higher the risk of further interventions. I would wait for labour to unfold itself and follow my body.
(Me personally would never pick an induction. Nothing against c section - that would be my choice if my baby's or my life were in danger)
But if your concern is bigger than your trust in your own body, then go with an elective c section if that means your mind will be more at ease and you will feel content. The worst thing mama can do is to get pressured into something she doesn't want to and end up being stressed.

Avatar

So my situation is a little different so bare that in mind. We are having baby 3 and have opted for a section this time after being very torn about what to do. I have had two forceps deliveries already. The first baby was late but natural labour and the second was after induction. The first we ended up very traumatic experience resulting in nicu stay. However my second we were home the next day. No complications despite forceps it was straight forward forceps and I recovered very quickly.

This time we really struggled with the choice between a fast recovery with induction but slow labour, less control over a section which is much longer difficult recovery but more control. So I guess what you need to decide is which is more important? What is it about intervention that worries you and do you want the less control? It is a very tough choice! We are only having a section as I have had two interventions already, two very big babies and GD and PGP making it hard to walk

Avatar

I was induced with my first and what i would say is that once you start induction you can't necessarily just stop and change course, you're handing over control of your birth to a medical team to a point. I found this very stressful and my body resisted which made labour a very long process.
I'm faced with a similar decision this time as i'm having another LGA baby and considering a c section this time, even though i have proven pelvis. I was just so unwell after my induction the first time that i didn't feel i was looking after myself or baby properly and i ended up with PPA. The physical recovery was ok, it was the compounded exhaustion of a 36 hour labour and BF issues that emotionally and mentally that hit me hard.

Avatar

This is literally the busiest time of year to have a baby. Inductions can literally take all week, especially if you’re a first time mum and trying to start at 39. Why does baby need to come out at 39? Is there a medical reason?

I had an elective section booked for 40 weeks as I was adamant I didn’t want to go post dates for specific reasons. Would never have accepted an induction due to rates of instrumental delivery in 1st pregnancies . Baby girl made her appearance of her own accord at 38w, born vaginally with an epidural and episiotomy that healed really easily. Now I’m having number 2, I’m hoping for another natural. Can’t imagine C-section recovery now with a toddler. But first time round I wanted a sense of control and predictability for sure

Read more on Peanut

Trending

in our community

Waters broke — no contractions

Waters broke at 2am

It’s now 11am and hardly any (if at all) contractions.

Currently on the ward but how can I get labor going?!

I really really really don’t want to be put on a drip!!!

Avatar

3

1 year pp pregnant again after c-section

Hey mummas!
Im 6 months pp but planning on trying for another at exactly one year. Has anyone else had a pregnancy after c-section 1 year pp? How was your experience? Did you have another c section or a VBAC ? I’m really curious!

Avatar

9

First Birthday

My son's first birthday is on May 11th, which is a Tuesday. For his party obviously I'm gonna decorate, do this whole big thing. But it's like for one, do I do it the weekend before and that's Mother's Day or wait a whole week and do the weekend after? Also I want him to wake up and walk out to a nice big decorated surprise on his birthday. But I don't wanna keep all the decorations up. So what are we doing? Are we decorating twice? And just not going as big the first time, but doing something special for him.

Avatar

4

Head down and fixed

So babys head has been down into pelvis now for around 2 weeks and midwife today said its fixed and wont be coming back up. My last labour (first pregnancy) was induced so i have not been through spontaneous labour before.
My due date is in 3 weeks (16th october) but I have been having braxton hicks randomnly on and off for a few weeks now.
What are peoples previous experiences with head being fixed and can it be a sign I might come early?
I dont finish work for another 2 days and still so much to do at home! Keeping everything crossed it stays put 😅

Avatar

3

Induction or elective c section

I’m really torn between going ahead with an induction at 39 weeks or changing my mind and having a planned C-section, and I’d love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

I’m a first-time mum and originally wanted a planned C-section, mainly because I have a strong family history of very fast labours. After speaking to my consultant, I became more comfortable with trying an induction.

The proposed plan is 39+0, potentially skipping the balloon if my cervix is favourable, having an epidural early, breaking my waters and giving things around 1–2 hours to get going. I’ve been told that if there’s little/no cervical progress, we can discuss a C-section, and that I can change my mind about continuing at any point.

My biggest concern is that I REALLY want to avoid forceps/ventouse. If an assisted delivery was being recommended and there was time to safely do a C-section, I would personally prefer a C-section.

I’m worried about a situation where I reach the point of wanting/needing a C-section, but the unit is very busy and there’s a delay getting to theatre I’ve also just had an 11-hour wait in maternity triage for leaking fluid/reduced movements. I completely understand that women who are seriously unwell have to be prioritised, and I’ve had some lovely experiences with the maternity team, but seeing how stretched the unit was has made me question how accessible that “Plan B” would actually be during an induction.

Avatar

15

Scan today at EPAU 14 weeks 1 day.

Had a massive gush of blood on Sunday ended up in a&e. EPAU follow up today for a scan and anti d injection. Wish me luck 🙏

Avatar

7

4

Read more on Peanut