VBAC or elective?

I’m due 28th November and classed as a high risk pregnancy due to preeclampsia with my first at 37 weeks. I was about to be induced with my first but her heart rate dropped so I was taken in immediately for a category 1 caesarean in 2023. Recovery was fine for me and I am currently set to try have a VBAC this time round… however
I’m suffering so bad with PGP this time round like it’s excruciating 😣 and baby is measuring on the 77th percentile (first baby was 8lb 4oz born at 40 weeks)
I have 3 more scans and consultant appointments booked before due date with being high risk so obviously my decision is heavily dependent on how the rest of the pregnancy goes but I’m so stuck on what to do..
I’d really syked myself up to try for a VBAC this time with how my first birth went (felt like I had the experience taken away from me, obviously glad she arrived safely) but now I’m debating just having an elective cause I’m so fed up with the pain and uncomfortable and worried about labouring and not actually being able to get into positions that help because of the pain i’m in already… but I’m also terrified for a c-section (first was fine as it was that quick i almost didn’t have time to think) … the information leaflets i’ve been given is a lot of babies require oxygen support with electives and also heard the recovery for second c-section is horrendous (I also have a 3 year old and with it being near Christmas i want to be able to be present and able as much as I can) … Im so stuck on what to even try if I have the choice. I absolutely DO NOT want an induction so I’ve already said if talks about that start.. i’d opt for a c-section anyway but I just feel very very confused at the moment.
Any advice please? Think i’m just hormonal and overthinking but different midwives gives such conflicting information and advice!

Thank you 💕

Read more on Peanut

The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of Peanut.

Learn more about our guidelines.
Add a comment
Avatar

Ah I feel your pain. So I have ended up going for an elective c section this time purely because the conversation I had with the consultant didn't give me any hope that they'd allow me to go naturally with no induction involved. I think if I felt properly supported in what I wanted then I would have tried vbac but I feel good about choosing an elective now as I want to control the situation and unfortunately with the trust I am local to it seems induction is pushed and they're just on a time scale as soon as you get to hospital. Have you discussed in more detail with the consultant what a vbac could be like for you?

Avatar

I wasn't in exactly the same situation but I also had emergency C-section 5 years ago, and I was sooooo adamant of the VBAC....im due 12 November so 4 weeks to go but I'm now getting the fear set in that a VBAC just won't happen for me...my body won't do it etc.... I've said no to induction and have a c section planned for 41 weeks to allow my body to go into spontaneous labour but if I don't then it'll be a c section. My hospital and consultant has been really supportive of a VBAC, but it's those around me really asking me why would I put myself through it. I don't want major surgery again, I'm sick of having to go through procedures (other things) and suffering and just want what nature intended but who knows....could just end up exactly the same as before so do I just plan the section 🤣🤣🤣

Avatar

Yes I'm exactly the same, I had to be induced last time due to blood pressure and failed to progress past 3cm and honestly had no pain at all like I didn't labour? So I don't know if my body can actually do it,...I feel like if I had had a natural delivery and then a C-section I could at least say well I've done it both ways before so I'll try again, but I feel ill regret either decision at this point I'm so so torn ! My recovery was horrendous last time with a readmission to hospital for IV drip etc with my baby and my husband had to go back to work and it was like awful awful, so I'm like anything to avoid this ??? 🫪

Read more on Peanut

Trending

in our community

Emergency c section

Hi everyone! Had my baby yesterday through an emergency C section. Labour started spontaneously at home progressed rather quickly, should have been low risk and was hoping for water birth but my baby girls heart rate was dipping and then she was too high up so they were quite worried and thought they needed to get her out quickly, she ended up being born at 17.08 via emergency c section. I found out after she also had pooped inside me and she had her chord wrapped round her neck.

It was all a bit scary and don’t feel like I’ve had time to process anything but just glad we’re both ok can’t fault the hospital as they were brilliant and acted quickly

Avatar

6

6

Birthday Girl

She Had A Good Time🥳🎈

Avatar

6

7

Pregnant at 45

Has anyone else become pregnant NATURALLY at 45.5?
I was pregnant naturally at 42 last time❤️

Avatar

3

14

Breach baby

I am so uncomfortable as baby is breach but also favours one side so constantly lying under by ribs, anyone have any advice for moving baby to head down?

Avatar

8

VBAC or elective?

I’m due 28th November and classed as a high risk pregnancy due to preeclampsia with my first at 37 weeks. I was about to be induced with my first but her heart rate dropped so I was taken in immediately for a category 1 caesarean in 2023. Recovery was fine for me and I am currently set to try have a VBAC this time round… however
I’m suffering so bad with PGP this time round like it’s excruciating 😣 and baby is measuring on the 77th percentile (first baby was 8lb 4oz born at 40 weeks)
I have 3 more scans and consultant appointments booked before due date with being high risk so obviously my decision is heavily dependent on how the rest of the pregnancy goes but I’m so stuck on what to do..
I’d really syked myself up to try for a VBAC this time with how my first birth went (felt like I had the experience taken away from me, obviously glad she arrived safely) but now I’m debating just having an elective cause I’m so fed up with the pain and uncomfortable and worried about labouring and not actually being able to get into positions that help because of the pain i’m in already… but I’m also terrified for a c-section (first was fine as it was that quick i almost didn’t have time to think) … the information leaflets i’ve been given is a lot of babies require oxygen support with electives and also heard the recovery for second c-section is horrendous (I also have a 3 year old and with it being near Christmas i want to be able to be present and able as much as I can) … Im so stuck on what to even try if I have the choice. I absolutely DO NOT want an induction so I’ve already said if talks about that start.. i’d opt for a c-section anyway but I just feel very very confused at the moment.
Any advice please? Think i’m just hormonal and overthinking but different midwives gives such conflicting information and advice!

Thank you 💕

Avatar

5

prodromal labor or is it round ligament pain

I woke up around 7 because I had a menstrual cramp feeling starting on one side and my back started hurting and then now as I’m going about my day they kinda feel like stronger menstrual cramps and now on my lower back and lower stomach hurts. I’m 31 weeks , 1 day.

Avatar

5

Read more on Peanut