GBS Positive and Water Leaked

Hi everyone,

I’m 40+5 weeks pregnant with my first baby and looking for advice from anyone who’s been through something similar.

My waters started leaking around 9:30 pm yesterday (so around 3.5 hours ago from this post) and no further leaking, and the hospital has confirmed this with a positive swab test. I’ve also tested positive for Group B Strep (GBS) previously.

I’m not having any contractions or pain yet, and when the midwife examined me, my cervix was still closed and appeared dry.

The hospital is recommending induction because my waters have broken and I’m GBS-positive. I’m particularly worried about induction when my cervix is still closed, whether it will work, and the possibility of it eventually leading to a C-section.

I’d really prefer to go into labour naturally and have a vaginal birth if possible, but I also want to make sure my baby is safe.

Also, thinking to get discharged and wait for a day at home as long as it’s safe.

Has anyone experienced waters breaking before contractions started, particularly with GBS-positive results and a closed cervix?

Did you wait for natural labour or choose induction? How long did it take for your cervix to open, and did you manage to have a vaginal birth?

Would really appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Read more on Peanut

The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of Peanut.

Learn more about our guidelines.
Add a comment
Avatar

Hi..first of all let me share my love with you. All will be fine.
That was me....my waters broke at 3am on the Monday early morning. Went to the hospital but no contractions ,no cervix open, nothing. They sent me home and said that I should start having contractions at some point and if not to go back to the hospital,and also if I didn't feel the baby moving to go straight away. Went home... Continued to have a lot of water coming out. I went back to the hospital at6pm afternoon as I was not feeling the baby moving as much and at that point I was scared as the liquid was coming out as a fountain. I wanted a natural birth and I tried. I used hypnobirth to manage the contractions pain as long as I could. They induce me, apparently the contractions are more painful when they do... Second day in hospital and still only 2cm of dilation. On the third day we couldn't make it, my baby hearth was giving up and I was exhausted and terrified of the outcome so we ended up having an emergency c section.

Avatar

Hi. I've been there...I got GBS and the doctors suggest an induction. At night before inducion my water broke and I went straight to hospital. I wasn't dilated enough so after maaaany hours they decided to do an emergency C section. The good fact is that my baby is healthy and a vaginal birth may leading to complications to ur baby.

Whatever u choose stay positive! U got this ,mamma!

Avatar

I didn't have GBS but my waters broken but didn't know it was my waters as I was early so in denial 😂 went into triage 24hrs after my water broke and I was only 0.5cm. I was put on fluids and antibiotics and didn't want an induction so asked to wait to see if I progressed naturally. They gave me 4hrs and I managed to get to 2cms so was allowed to continue without induction but had my fore waters broken to help move things along. I'd had no pain at all until I had my waters broken. Managed to continue naturally and gave birth about 11hrs later. Both me and baby were fine and I'm glad I advocated for myself to wait, I was getting pushed for a c section or induction but it was the total opposite of the labour I had planned so wanted to at least try naturally. I had said if things took a turn quickly, they could do a c section but just asked to keep on monitoring us both closely. So in summary, waters broke around 3 pm weds and I gave birth 1am Friday and all was well 😊 hope that makes sense, sending love x

Read more on Peanut

Trending

in our community

Our wee man has arrived!

Originally due 13th October, my blood pressure decided it no longer wanted to play ball and forced us into an earlier induction and all different hoops to jump through, but Brodie Angus has arrived today 09/10/26 at 12.59pm, weighing 8 pounds 15 ounces ❤️ and he has stolen our hearts!

Avatar

13

7

Will there be signs when labour/contractions are due to start?

I’m 39 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I’ve had no signs at all that labour/contractions will begin soon. Does it sometimes just happen with no warning or signs? I haven’t had a ‘bloody show’ and I wouldn’t say I’m sore in the pelvic area.

Avatar

10

Line?

Does anyone else see a line ?
Taken in time frame.
Period supposed to come tomorrow but I have no signs of it coming.

Avatar

2

9

10 weeks

I am 10 weeks today and on the toilet paper I have spots of bright red blood.

Any positive outcome anyone has had from this??

Avatar

6

GBS Positive and Water Leaked

Hi everyone,

I’m 40+5 weeks pregnant with my first baby and looking for advice from anyone who’s been through something similar.

My waters started leaking around 9:30 pm yesterday (so around 3.5 hours ago from this post) and no further leaking, and the hospital has confirmed this with a positive swab test. I’ve also tested positive for Group B Strep (GBS) previously.

I’m not having any contractions or pain yet, and when the midwife examined me, my cervix was still closed and appeared dry.

The hospital is recommending induction because my waters have broken and I’m GBS-positive. I’m particularly worried about induction when my cervix is still closed, whether it will work, and the possibility of it eventually leading to a C-section.

I’d really prefer to go into labour naturally and have a vaginal birth if possible, but I also want to make sure my baby is safe.

Also, thinking to get discharged and wait for a day at home as long as it’s safe.

Has anyone experienced waters breaking before contractions started, particularly with GBS-positive results and a closed cervix?

Did you wait for natural labour or choose induction? How long did it take for your cervix to open, and did you manage to have a vaginal birth?

Would really appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Avatar

1

4

28 weeks and Breech

Is anyone else's baby breech right now too? Im worried my baby won't turn and ill have to do the procedure to get him turned by hand which i hurd is painful and dangerous or c section which im terrified of. Any ideas that could help with turning in the meantime? Thanks

Avatar

12

Read more on Peanut