If you’re looking for baby girl names that start with H, you’ve come to the right place, mama. We’ve got H names for every era and every character.
While Helena and Hera hark back to a bygone era, Hannah and Hayley are more fun and contemporary.
Harper and Hendrix, on the other hand, feel newer, bolder, and more unusual.
In this article: 📝
- 10 of the most popular H names for girls
- 20 unusual girl names that start with H
- Virtue baby girl names with H
- One and two-syllable girl names starting with H
- Other beautiful girl names starting with H
10 of the most popular H names for girls
Some of these H names have been popular for years, even decades. Others are more recent additions to the popularity charts. Which one’s your favorite?
- Hannah: A popular Hebrew name, Hannah means God has favored me. This name, which has maintained its popularity for years, can also be spelled without the second “H”: Hanna.
- Hallie: This English name means dweller at the hall meadow. It’s considered a feminine form of Henry or an alternative to Harriet. Its popularity has been climbing in recent years.
- Harley: Meaning hare meadow or long field, Harley has become enormously popular as a gender-neutral name in the US. You could also consider spelling it Harlie or Harli.
- Harper: Harper has been high on the popularity charts since the late 2010s and early 2020s. It means harpist or minstrel. Think of the famous author Harper Lee.
- Hayley: This popular girls’ name means hay meadow. Alternative spellings include Hailey, Haley, Hailee, and Hallie.
- Hazel: Hazel has been on the rise since the 1980s and is still a popular girls’ name today. It’s a British name that refers to the hazel tree.
- Heidi: Heidi is a German name that means nobility. Made famous by the Swiss mountain girl in the 1880 children’s book Heidi, the name has never lost its relevance.
- Helena: A timeless classic, Helena is a Greek name that means shining light.
- Holly: An H name that’s stood the test of time, Holly refers to the holly tree. It’s often given to girls born near Christmas.
- Hunter: A British name, Hunter is a bold and assertive name that means exactly what you think it means: hunter or pursuer.
20 unusual girl names that start with H
Looking for something a little more unusual? We love these uncommon H names that you’re unlikely to find in your average children’s classroom.
- Hadassah: A Hebrew name that refers to a myrtle tree, which is known for its dainty, evergreen leaves that stay on the branches all year round.
- Hadley: Hadley refers to a heather field. It’s been steadily on the rise for years but is still uncommon enough to sound cool and unusual.
- Halia: This Hawaiian girls’ name means remembrance of a loved one.
- Halima: Halima is a Muslim name that means gentle and patient.
- Hana: This Spanish name means happiness or flower. It could also have Arabic, Japanese or Slavic origins.
- Hanan: A name with Arabic roots, Hanan means mercy or compassion.
- Hania: A Hebrew name, Hania refers to a place in which you can rest or be happy.
- Harlem: A strong name, after the neighborhood in New York City.
- Harlow: A Hindu name, Harlow means army or rock. It can also be used for boys.
- Harlyn: Another unisex Hindu name, Harlyn means grey land. It can also be spelled with a double “n”: Harlynn.
- Hartley: This Sikh name means dear field. While it’s typically used for boys, it’s also appropriate for girls. An alternative spelling is Hartleigh.
- Hawa: An Arabic name, Hawa means desire.
- Haya: A Hebrew and Muslim name, Haya means life in the former and modesty, decency, and shyness in the latter.
- Hayden: Meaning hedged valley in Old English, Hayden is a unisex name that’s slightly more common for boys than it is for girls.
- Haze: A Dutch name that means hazel or light brown. Watch out for this one, it’s on the up and up.
- Hendrix: A unisex name, Hendrix means estate ruler. Lovers of the world-famous guitarists Jimi Hendrix will likely be drawn to this one.
- Hera: This Greek name refers to the goddess of the hearth. In mythology, Hera is the reigning queen of the gods of Mount Olympus. She is also Zeus’s wife.
- Holland: An interesting and unusual name for a girl, after the country.
- Hollis: A gender-neutral British name, Hollis refers to the holly tree. It’s pronounced HAH-liss.
- Hudson: Typically a boys’ name meaning son of Hugh, Hudson is increasingly being used as a strong girls’ name. New Yorkers might love its connection to the Hudson River.
111 women are talking about 'baby girl names' on Peanut. Download the app to join the conversation.
Virtue baby girl names with H
Virtue names refer to qualities or traits that parents would like their children to embody.
There are quite a few virtue names that begin with H, including the following.
One and two-syllable girl names starting with H
If you’re looking for something short and snappy, these one and two-syllable H names might be the right fit.
Other beautiful girl names starting with H
Still searching for the perfect baby girl name that starts with H? Maybe something in the following list will resonate.
Of course, you don’t have to be limited to H. Why not explore these other letters of the alphabet for names for your baby girl?
359 Baby Girl Names That Start With A
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With B
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
82 Baby Girl Names That Start With F
89 Baby Girl Names that Start with G
107 Girl Names That Start with I
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
84 Girl Names That Start With K
66 Girl Names That Start With L
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With N
82 Girls Names That Start With O
57 Baby Girl Names That Start With P
20 Baby Girl Names Starting with Q
92 Girl Names That Start With R
58 Girl Names That Start With S
70 Girl Names That Start with T
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With U
123 Girl Names That Start with V
80 Baby Girl Names That Start With W
54 Baby Girl Names That Start With X
75 Baby Girl Names that Start with Y
82 Baby Girl Names that Start with Z (and Their Meanings)