Is it a vowel? Is it a consonant? Yep, yep, yep. This shapeshifter feels totally comfortable in both teams. Y is a letter that is perpetually curious. It’s a letter that is the beginning of a big positive Yes. It’s yummy, it’s youthful, it’s all you. It’s not surprising then that baby girl names that start with Y offer some awesome options for your youngster.
So what are some good baby girl’s names that start with Y? Here are our favorites.
What is a girl’s name beginning with Y?
Ready to dive in? Let’s explore these girl names that start with Y.
- Yadi. This adorable Hebrew name means “friend”—a perfect option for your new little pal.
- Yadira. Of Arabic origins, this name means “worthy” and “dear friend.”
- Yael. From Hebrew, Welsh, and Old English origins, Yael means “ascend” and (sweetly) “mountain goat.” 🐐
- Yaella. This name of both Hebrew and Arabic origin means “prominent.”
- Yakshini. A feminine form of the Hindi name Yaksha, Yakshini refers to a being that is supernatural or mysterious.
- Yalitza. A name with a young history, Yalitza is likely a version of Yaritza, which is a version of Maritza, which is a version of Maria.
- Yameena. This Arabic name means “righteous” and “blessed.”
- Yamika. A Hindi name meaning “night” 🌃
- Yamna. “Blessed”
- Yana. “Doer of good deeds”
- Yannick. This popular Hindi girls’ name means “God is gracious.”
- Yara. This name has origins in a few different places. Its Persian meaning is “strength” and “courage,” while in Brazil, it refers to a mythical river spirit known as the Lady of the Lake.
- Yareli. As a Hindu name, Yareli means “God is my light.” And as a South American name, it could also be a variation of Yara, the Lady of the Lake.
- Yashmita. A Hindu name meaning “famous” or “successful.” ⭐
- Yazmin. This sweet name refers to the jasmine flower. Jasmine is an alternative spelling.
- Yelda. An Arabic name meaning “dark night.”
- Yelena. “Bright, shining one”—that’s the meaning of this sparkly Russian name. ✨
- Yente. A variant of Yentl—as in the matchmaker—Yente means “noble” and “refined.”
- Yessenia. This Spanish name means “palm tree.” 🌴
- Yesha. An Indian name means “famous.”
- Yohanna. A Hebrew name meaning “God has blessed me.”
- Yolanda. Yolanda is a version of the Greek Iolanthe which means “violet.”
- Yolandi. Like Yolanda, this one means “violet.”
- Yong. A Chinese name meaning “courageous.”
- Yonita. This Hebrew name means “dove.” 🕊️
- Yordana. A Bulgarian version of the Hebrew name Jordana, Yordana means “to flow down.”
- Yori. This Japanese name means “reliable.”
- Young-Il. A Korean name meaning “prosperity.”
- Yovela. “Rejoice” 🎉
- Ysabella. A version of the popular name Isabella, Ysabella means “God’s promise.”
- Ysobel. Like its sister name Isabel, Ysobel also means “God’s promise.”
- Yulia. This Russian name means “youthful.”
- Yuliana. Or try this Slavic and Spanish version—it also means “youthful.”
- Yumi. This Korean name can mean “origin and beauty,” “abundance and beauty,” and “tenderness and beauty.”
- Yumiko. A popular Japanese name with a range of meanings: “bow, child,” “fruit, kindness,” and “reason, beauty, child.”
- Yumna. This Islamic name means “on the right side.” It’s worn by the popular Pakistani actress Yumna Zaida.
- Yun-Hui. This Korean name has a few possible meanings—“to grant,” “soft,” “beauty” and “glorious.”
- Yusayrah. An Arabic name meaning “easy.”
- Yusha. A name of both Hebrew and Arab origin, Yusha means “hero.”
- Yusrah. An Arabic name that means “easy” or “luxury.”
- Yvette. This popular French name is a feminine version of the name Yves and means either “yew tree” or “archer.”
- Yvonne. Also a version of the boy’s name Yves, Yvonne means “yew tree.”
What are unique girl names that start with Y?
And because it’s a letter that offers a lot of originality, here are some rare finds. Check out these interesting girl names starting with Y.
- Yaalisai. This Tamil name means “melodious.” 🎵
- Yachana. A Hindi name meaning “prayer.”
- Yacova. A feminine version of the name Jacob, Yacova means “God protects.”
- Yadanar. “Gem”—that’s the meaning of this shining Burmese name. 💎
- Yadavi. Another name for the Goddess Durga, Yadavi is a Hindu name referring to someone who is powerful.
- Yaeko. This Japanese name means “child of the double bouquet’’.” It’s been worn by novelists and sports stars alike.
- Yahaira. A Spanish name meaning “to light up” or “shine”
- Yahvi. This expansive Hindi name refers to the union of heaven and earth.
- Yajna. A Hindi name meaning “worship”
- Yalena. An illuminating Greek name meaning “light” and “shining.” 🌟
- Yan. This Chinese name has different possible meanings— “beautiful colors” and “swallow bird.”
- Yamileth. Possibly derived from the Arabic name Jamil (which means handsome), Yamileth means “beautiful.”
- Yanelli. “Sweet”
- Yannie. “God is gracious”
- Yara-Rose. Yara is the water spirit from Brazilian mythology. Couple that with a rose and you have an exquisite combo.
- Yaretzi. This name has Aztec origins. Its meaning? “You will always be loved.”
- Yarielle. A version of Ariel (yes, as in the famous mermaid), Yarielle means “lion of God.” 🦁
- Yaroslava. This name has Slavic roots—and is packed with power. It means “fierce and glorious.” Nuff said.
- Yatika. This name is another name for the goddess Durga—a major Hindu deity.
- Yen. A peaceful Vietnamese name, Yen means “calm.”
- Yilia. A name of Chinese origin, Yilia likely means “friendly girl.”
- Yiskah. This Hebrew name means “to gaze” or “to behold.”
- Yitta. A Hebrew name, Yitta means “light.”
- Yohanni. “Gift from God”
- Yoshie. This gender-neutral Japanese name means “good luck.”
- Yoselin. It’s of Spanish origin and means “flowing” and “joyful.”
- Yoyo. This fun name of Chinese origin means “friendly.”
- Yukio. A Japanese name meaning “snow.” ❄️
- Yula. A version of Yulia, Yula means “youthful.”
- Yumika. This Japanese name speaks of sweet fragrances, existence, and beauty.
- Yuna. “Kindness”—that’s what this Japanese name means.
- Yuridia. Of Spanish origin, Yuridia means “shine” and is the first name of popular Mexican actress and singer, Yuridia Velenzuela Canseco.
- Yuval. A gender-neutral name of Hebrew origin, Yuval means “ram’s horn.” 🐏
💡 You might like:
359 Girl Names That Start With A
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With B
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
82 Baby Girl Names That Start With F
89 Baby Girl Names that Start with G
111 Baby Girl Names That Start With H
107 Girl Names That Start with I
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
84 Girl Names That Start With K
66 Girl Names That Start With L
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With N
82 Girls Names That Start With O
57 Baby Girl Names That Start With P
20 Baby Girl Names Starting with Q
92 Girl Names That Start With R
58 Girl Names That Start With S
70 Girl Names That Start with T
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With U
123 Girl Names That Start with V
80 Baby Girl Names That Start With W
54 Baby Girl Names That Start With X
82 Baby Girl Names that Start with Z (and Their Meanings)