Pretty, passionate, and full of promise, baby girl names that start with P have a lot of potential. And from the popular to the more peculiar, there are really plenty to choose from.
We’re sharing some of our favorites. Here are 57 female names that start with P, for you to find your perfect match.
In this article: 📝
- What is the most popular girl name that starts with P?
- Other female names that start with P
- What are rare girl names that start with P?
What is the most popular girl name that starts with P?
- Penelope. The most popular P girls name in the US right now. The name goes right the way back to ancient Greece, where Penelope was the wife of Odysseus, whose return home from war she awaited for 20 years. It’s also sported by modern day legends including Spanish actress, Penelope Cruz.
Other female names that start with P
Other popular girl names that start with P? Here’s the rest of the top 25 right now in the US.
- Paisley. The name of a Scottish town and a fabric of Persian origin, Paisley is also the second most popular girl name that starts with P. It means “church” or “cemetery”.
- Piper. A name inspired by music, Piper referred traditionally to someone who played the flute. These days, it’s a beautiful and bright name for girls.
- Peyton. Once popular among boys and girls, Peyton is these days a female favorite. It comes from the name of a town in Sussex, England.
- Parker. “Someone who tended the park”. It’s a common P name for girls and boys.
- Presley. Apparently coming from the cute expression “priest’s meadow”, Presley is another gender-neutral P name. We love it.
- Payton. An alternative spelling of Peyton.
- Phoebe. A vintage girl name that has rightfully enjoyed a comeback. It means “bright” or “shining”.
- Paige. Paige comes from the Latin word for “young servant”.
- Phoenix. The mythical bird that is reborn from the ashes. It’s a beautiful name, suggesting rebirth and immortality.
- Palmer. “Pilgrim” or “someone who holds a palm”. It’s a nice variation on Pamela.
- Paislee. An alternative spelling of Paisley with the adorable double “e”.
- Paris. The capital of France—and an elegant girl name.
- Poppy. From the name of the flower, it’s a classic British name beginning with P.
- Priscilla. From the Latin word meaning “ancient”, Priscilla is a popular name in Italian, but less so in English. It offers classic charm with a unique touch.
- Penny. Sometimes a short form of Penelope, Penny also makes a delightful little name all by itself.
- Pearl. Associated with innocence and modesty, pearl is the gemstone for the month of June.
- Princess. It needs no introduction—the perfect P name for your little princess.
- Persephone. The mythical daughter of the Greek god Zeus, Persephone is known as the “bringer of destruction”. Yep, she’ll be a handful—but she’s also the goddess of spring.
- Paula. Meaning “small” or “petite”, Paula is cuteness personified.
- Paulina. The diminutive version of Paula, Paulina means “small Paula”.
- Promise. Your little one will be a gift and opportunity. A truly beautiful female name that starts with P.
- Paisleigh. Another remix of the name Paisley.
- Paloma. Paloma comes from the word for “dove”, the symbol of peace.
- Paola. An alternative to Paula, Paola is common in Italian and Portuguese.
What are rare girl names that start with P?
- Perla. The Latin word for “pearl”—it’s a P name for girls with a nice Mediterranean vibe.
- Patience. Named after the virtue, your baby Patience will be calm, enduring, and lovely.
- Petra. From the Greek meaning “rock” or “stone”, it’s the name of one of the most breath-taking places in the world.
- Pauline. The diminutive form of Paula.
- Paityn. A different way to spell the name Payton or Peyton.
- Prisha. A popular name in Arabic, Prisha means “one who is a gift”.
- Preslee. An alternative spelling of that delightful name Presley.
- Pamela. A bit of a vintage name that should really make a comeback. It comes from Greek words meaning “all” and “honey”.
- Philippa. “A friend of horses”. An interesting meaning indeed. But it could be the perfect P name for your little girl.
- Pepper. If classic herb names like Rosemary and Sage don’t do it for you, try a name that’s a little spicier—like Pepper.
- Paulette. A French version of Pauline or Paolina, it means “petite”.
- Priya. A popular Indian name from the Sanskrit, meaning “beloved”.
- Prudence. It is admittedly quite an old-fashioned name, but that doesn’t make it any less lovely.
- Pippa. Short for Philippa.
- Pia. An Italian name meaning “devout” or “pious”.
- Philomena. A name once meaning “lover of strength”, it’s popular across many Latin countries.
- Precious. Valuable, worthy, esteemed. What’s a better name for your little one?
- Primrose. It’s a beautiful little flower that’s one of the first to bloom in spring.
- Paxton. Meaning “peaceful town” or “town of peace”, it was once an English last name.
- Paradise. While it’s truly heavenly, it remains a rare name for baby girls.
- Praise. Another original P name for girls that really should be more popular than it is.
- Pilar. The Spanish word for “pillar”, it’s a popular Spanish name that’s thought to mean “pillar of strength”.
- Polina. The Russian version of Paula.
- Polly. Meaning “small” or “humble” to some—and “star of the sea” to others—Polly is a P-name that makes a great alternative to the ever-popular Molly.
- Peace. Like Praise, Paradise, and Patience, it’s a surprise that Peace isn’t much more popular than it is. A rare but beautiful name.
- Pandora. In Greek mythology, Pandora opened a box that contained all the evils of the world. However, her name means “all-gifted”.
- Passion. Why not name your little one after the loveliest of desires?
- Peggy. Short for Margaret or Pearl.
- Posie. Traditionally a small bouquet of flowers, posies are pretty little things—just like your baby girl.
- Portia. The name of the brilliant heroine from Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice, it’s just right for a feisty little one.
- Paz. The Spanish word for “peace”
- Prim. Usually short for Primula or Primrose
P not doing it for you? Why not try:
359 Baby Girl Names That Start With A
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With B
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
82 Baby Girl Names That Start With F
89 Baby Girl Names that Start with G
111 Baby Girl Names That Start With H
107 Girl Names That Start with I
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
84 Girl Names That Start With K
66 Girl Names That Start With L
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With N
82 Girls Names That Start With O
20 Baby Girl Names Starting with Q
92 Girl Names That Start With R
58 Girl Names That Start With S
70 Girl Names That Start with T
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With U
123 Girl Names That Start with V
80 Baby Girl Names That Start With W
54 Baby Girl Names That Start With X
75 Baby Girl Names that Start with Y
82 Baby Girl Names that Start with Z (and Their Meanings)