Looking for a unique name for your unique peanut? Baby girl names that start with U are the place to start!
None of the girl names that start with a U appear in the top 1000 most popular girl names in the US for 2020. So if you’re looking for something unusual, you’re in the right place.
Searching for a name that’s traditional or modern, short or long? Baby girl names that start with U have so much to offer.
Here are our favorites.
In this article: 📝
- What name begins with U?
- More baby girl names that start with U
What name begins with U?
Girls’ names that start with U come from all over the world.
That means you’ve got a lot of choice when it comes to meaning, origin, and how you’d like your baby girl’s new name to sound.
Here are 52 of the best, along with their meanings:
- Uma. The first name of Kill Bill’s famous lead actress, Uma is a popular name in India, where it’s the name of a Hindu goddess. In Sanskrit, the name means ‘tranquility’ and ‘splendor.’
- Una. This super cute Irish origin name (which can also be spelled Oona or Oonagh) means ‘the personification of truth and beauty,’ which we’re sure your little one certainly will be.
- Urenna. This Igbo name means ‘her father’s pride’ — perfect if you think your little one is going to be a daddy’s girl.
- Ursula. Although you might be a little hesitant thanks to the villain in The Little Mermaid, it makes our list thanks to its popularity in several European countries. Ursula derives from the Latin word for ‘ursa’ meaning ‘bear,’ which makes this an all-round badass name.
- Ursulette. If you like Ursula but want something that’s a little more unusual — or can’t get over its associations with that sea witch — how about this cute name?
- Uri. More popular as a boy’s name but increasingly being given to baby girls too, Uri means ‘my light’ or ‘my flame’ in Hebrew.
- Uria. Similar to Uri, this Hebrew name means ‘my light is Jehovah.’ It’s a gender-neutral name, but is more common for baby boys.
- Umaima. This sweet Arabic name means ‘little mother’ (‘umm’ means mother in Arabic). So if you’re hoping for a mini me, this is the perfect name.
- Uberta. This name has Italian and old German origins, and means ‘with bright or shining intellect’ — the ideal fit for a brainy baby.
- Ula. This name has different meanings depending on its origins. From its Celtic origins, Ula means ‘jewel of the sea.’ In Hawaiian culture, the name is derived from the word ‘ula’ula,’ which means ‘red.’ Ula is also used as the short form for Ursula.
- Uira. A variation of the name ‘Yara’, which is popular in both Arabic and Brazilian cultures, Uira can mean ‘water lady’ or ‘small butterfly.’
- Ulyssa. Ulyssa is the feminine version of the hero Ulysses, the protagonist of the Greek epic, The Odyssey. So if you’re looking for a legendary name for your little one, this is definitely it.
- Ulyciana. Similar to Ulyssa, this beautiful name is another variation of the Greek hero Ulysses.
- Uyen. This super cute Vietnamese girl’s name means ‘deep.’
- Urielle. This beautiful name means ‘God is my light’ in Hebrew. It’s the female version of the more popular boy’s name ‘Uriel.’
- Ubah. This Urdu name means ‘flower.’
- Usha. Pronounced ‘oo-sha’, this name is of Hindi and Sanskrit origin and means ‘dawn.’ Usha is also used as a girl’s name in Nepal, where the name means ‘joy’ or ‘happiness.’
- Uwase. This beautiful African origin name means ‘a daughter cherished by her father’ — a great option for baby girls whose dads just can’t wait to meet them.
- Udele. This unique old English name means ‘wealthy’ or ‘prosperous.’
- Uda. Uda originated as the short version of ‘Udele,’ so it also means ‘wealthy’. Although it has English origins, it’s now most common in German-speaking countries.
- Ulrike. This German name (pronounced ul-ree-kuh) means ‘prosperity and power,’ so we’re pretty sure any little girl with this name is going to go far.
- Urbana. An Italian name, it means ‘from the city’ and has the same Latin origins as the word ‘urban.’
- Uliana. A variant of the name ‘Juliana,’ this Greek origin name means ‘youthful.’
- Uchenna. This Igbo name means ‘god’s wish’ or ‘the will of god.’
- Ute. This old German origin name means ‘heritage’ and is still most common in Germany.
- Utina. This Native American name means ‘woman of my country’ or ‘native woman.’
- Uzo. This Nigerian gender-neutral name means ‘the road is good’ and is often used as a short form for the name Uzomaka. It’s also the name of popular Orange is the New Black actress, Uzo Aduba.
- Unique. Word names are growing in popularity. And there’s no simpler way to tell the world how one-of-a-kind your baby is than with this name.
- Usra. This Indian origin name means ‘dawn’ or ‘first light.’ It’s also an alternative spelling of the Arabic name Yusra, which means ‘ease’ or ‘success.’
- Uzuri. This gorgeous Swahili origin name simply means ‘beauty.’
- Ulupi. Ulupi is the name of a character in the Hindu epic, Mahabharata, credited with redeeming her husband from a curse. Ulupi is also said to have a ‘charming face’, so if you’re looking for a name that’s both epic and delightful, this may be the one.
- Ululani. This super sweet name is of Hawaiian origin and means ‘divine inspiration.’
- Unity. Although it sounds modern, this name has actually been in use for centuries. And it’s pretty perfect for welcoming your newest member into the family unit.
- Utsa. This pretty name is of Indian origin and means ‘spring season’ — but we think it works for baby girls that bloom at any time of year.
More baby girl names that start with U
Looking to expand your search? Here’s our bonus list of girl names that start with U:
So there you have it: 52 baby girl names that start with U. All the best with your choice.
If you’re still looking, though, why not try one of these lists next?
359 Girl Names That Start With A
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With B
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
82 Baby Girl Names That Start With F
89 Baby Girl Names that Start with G
111 Baby Girl Names That Start With H
107 Girl Names That Start with I
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
84 Girl Names That Start With K
66 Girl Names That Start With L
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With N
82 Girls Names That Start With O
57 Baby Girl Names That Start With P
20 Baby Girl Names Starting with Q
92 Girl Names That Start With R
58 Girl Names That Start With S
70 Girl Names That Start with T
123 Girl Names That Start with V
80 Baby Girl Names That Start With W
54 Baby Girl Names That Start With X
75 Baby Girl Names that Start with Y
82 Baby Girl Names that Start with Z (and Their Meanings)