Looking for ideas for girl names that start with R? We’ve got you covered. From the letter that brought you rare, radiant, and reward, here come some riveting options for your new arrival.
Perhaps you’re looking to keep up a family tradition. Or you simply love the sound this letter makes as it rrrrrolls off the tongue. Either way, one of these girl names beginning with R might just be your perfect fit.
Let’s get started.
(Spoiler alert: There’s a lot of royalty on this list.)
The best girl names starting with R
What is the most popular girl name that starts with R?
- Riley. According to the US Social Security Administration, Riley is the only one of the girl names that start with an R to make the top 50 list. So in terms of sheer popularity in the United States, this one tops the charts. Of Old English origins, it means “wood clearing” or “valiant.”
What are some good R names?
- Rachael. This classic Hebrew name means “ewe.” 🐑 Plus drop the ‘a’ and you’ve got a favorite Friends character.
- Rafaela. Of Portuguese origin, this beautiful name means “god has healed.” (And if you’re looking for more Portuguese options, head here.)
- Rayan. An Arabic name meaning “watered” and “plentiful,” it’s also the name for one of the Islamic gates of heaven.
- Rebecca. A Biblical name that never goes out of style, Rebecca means “to bind firmly together.” If you’re looking for an alternative spelling, how about Rebekah?
- Reese. From Welsh origins, Reese means “fiery” and “enthusiastic”—and of course belongs to a certain famous Witherspoon.
- Reeva. This sweet name has a number of origins. Some possibilities? It could be a version of the Hebrew Rebecca, or of Hindu origins meaning “river” or “star.”
- Regina. “Queen.” 👑
- Renata. A name common in Eastern Europe, Renata means “Holy Spirit.”
- Renee. Of Latin roots, this classic French name means “to be reborn.”
- Rhowena. This one’s of German origin and means “fame and happiness.” You may want to opt for the alternative spelling, Rowena.
- Ramona. A name meaning “wise protector,” Ramona is the feminine version of the name Ramon and Raymond. It also happens to belong to Beverly Cleary’s beloved children’s character, Ramona Quimby.
- Reilly. Of Irish origin, this one means “courageous.”
- Rimona. This sweet name means “pomegranate.”
- Rita. Her name means “pearl” and the Beatles think she’s lovely. 🎵
- Rhonda. This one’s of Welsh origin and has a rather fun meaning— “noisy one.”
- Ruby. From the Latin word for “red,” Ruby is a name that never goes out of style.
- Roberta. “Bright” and “shining.” 🔆
- Robyn. Meaning “famous and bright,” Robyn is a popular name of both Old German and Old English origins.
- Rolanda. With its Latin origins, Rolanda is a name for a girl who is “famous in her land.”
- Rosalie. With its healthy dose of French charm, Rosalie means “the flower of life.” 💮
- Rosemary. A name that stands the test of time, Rosemary means “dew of the sea.” 🌊
- Rosie. As in the flower. 🌹And the cheeks.
- Roxanne. Likely derived from Roxana, the wife of Alexander the Great, Roxanne means “bright” and “sunlight.” ☀️ Plus, it can be shortened to the cute Rox.
- Ruth. This Biblical name never goes out of style. Maybe that’s because it means “friend.” It’s also a fitting tribute for fans of RBG.
What are some unique girl names that start with R?
If you’re looking for something a little different, here are some unique girl names that start with R:
- Rabab. This Arabic name means “white cloud.” ☁️
- Rabiah. A combination of two Arabic names, Rabiah means “fertile spring” and “fourth female.”
- Raisa. A Hebrew name meaning “rose.” 🌹
- Ramsey. For fans of the popular chef, this name means “low-lying” land and is used for all genders.
- Rana. Of Arabic origin, Rana means “eye-catching.”
- Raniya. Urdu for “to gaze”.
- Raven. This name pays homage to one of the smartest birds on earth—so smart, in fact, that recent research suggests that ravens may even possess human-like features of intelligence.
- Ravenna. Ravenna is an Italian city famous for its ancient Roman architecture.
- Rawnie. With its Romany origins, Rawnie means “lady.”
- Raya. A biblical name meaning “friend.”
- Raylynne. A name for a little beam of light. 💫
- Raziela. This Hebrew name means “the secret of God.”
- Reatha. This one has Greek origins and means “excellence.”
- Reba. Of Hebrew origin, Reba is a name for the fourth born in your family.
- Redmilla. A name meaning “working for the people,” Redmilla is of Slavic origins.
- Reesa. “Laughter.” 💕
- Rei. This popular Japanese name has several possible meanings—“lovely,” “ghost,” and “wise,” to name a few.
- Reiko. “Beautiful and wise child.”
- Reinella. “Queen.” 👑
- Reinette. “Little queen.” 👸🏽
- Refugio. With Latin origins, this name means “shelter and protection.”
- Rehema. “Compassion,” and “forgiveness.”
- Reka. This Hungarian name means “river.”
- Remedy. This name really is the cure.
- Remington. This Old English name refers to a settlement next to a stream.
- Renesmee. A combo of “Rene” and “Esmee,” Renesmee means both “reborn” and “loved.”
- Reyna. “Queen.” 👑
- Rezka. “Late summer.”
- Rheanna. A nymph or little queen.
- Rhiannon. Of Welsh origin, this a name for a great queen.
- Rhonette. This one’s of Welsh origin too, and means “good spear.”
- Richella. From Old German, this is a name for a powerful ruler.
- Ridley. Of Old English origin, Ridley refers to a meadow of reeds.
- Ripley. Believe it or not, this name refers to a clearing in the woods.
- Rina. In Sanskrit it means “melted,” in Hebrew, “song” and “joy,” and in Japanese, “village” and “vegetables.”
- Rionagh. “Queenly.” 👑
- Rivekka. A version of Rebecca, it means “to bind.”
- River. 🏞️
- Rohanna. A Hindi name meaning “sandalwood.”
- Romina. “From the land of Christians.”
- Rona. This Hebrew name means “song.” 🎵
- Ronisha. “Strong counsel.”
- Rosamonde. With Germanic roots, this name means “horse protection.” 🐎
- Rosario. Of Latin origin, Rosario refers to the Catholic rosary.
- Rosabel. “Beautiful rose.” 🌹
- Roshni. “Brilliant” and “bright.”
- Royale. 👑👑👑
- Rori. Increasingly popular as a girl’s name, Rori means “red-headed royalty.”
- Rowan. Of Scottish and Irish origins, this name refers to a red-headed child. It’s also an Arabic name, meaning “a river in paradise.”
- Roza. 🌹
- Ruhani. “Sacred.”
What are girl middle names that start with R?
If you’re looking for that special extra touch, these baby girl names that start with R can make excellent middle names:
- Rae. Its German origins? “Wise protection.” Spanish? “Beautiful.” English? “Ewe.” Many meanings for such a tiny name.
- Rayne. 👑👑👑
- Rawleigh. From the Old English, it refers to a deer’s meadow.
- Reed. A name for a red-haired baby.
- Reeve. Its original meaning was “bailiff.” Better be careful around this little one.
- Renie. This Greek name means “peace.” 🕊️
- Revel. “Rejoice.”
- Rhea. “A flowing stream.”
- Rie. Its Japanese meanings are “blessing,” “logic,” and “value.”
- Ricci. The Italian meaning is “curly”—so this might be the perfect middle name for a girl with a curl.
- Riley. “Wood clearing.”
- Risa. As a Japanese name, Risa means “pear” or “silk gauze.” As an Italian name, it’s the short form of “Marisa” and means “of the sea.” 🌊
- Robbi. This German name means “bright fame.”
- Romi. “Dew of the sea.”
- Ronnie. “Mountain of strength.”
- Rose. 🌹
All the best with your choice!
💡 You might like:
359 Girl Names That Start With A
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With B
67 Girl Names That Start With C
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With D
100+ Baby Girl Names That Start With E
82 Baby Girl Names That Start With F
89 Baby Girl Names that Start with G
111 Baby Girl Names That Start With H
107 Girl Names That Start with I
Baby Girl Names that Start with J
84 Girl Names That Start With K
66 Girl Names That Start With L
Baby Girl Names that Start with M
85 Baby Girl Names That Start With N
82 Girls Names That Start With O
57 Baby Girl Names That Start With P
20 Baby Girl Names Starting with Q
58 Girl Names That Start With S
70 Girl Names That Start with T
52 Baby Girl Names That Start With U
123 Girl Names That Start with V
80 Baby Girl Names That Start With W
54 Baby Girl Names That Start With X
75 Baby Girl Names that Start with Y
82 Baby Girl Names that Start with Z (and Their Meanings)